Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: JEDsContour How to contact AER? - 02/24/06 07:41 AM
Anyone have an email address or telephone number for AER (the company that supplies the engines for the Noble)? I know they are located in Dallas Texas.

I want to get some more info on the prepped-for-turbo 3L they offer. Its just one of the options Iâ??m considering for my turbo SVT.
Posted By: gotapex Re: How to contact AER? - 02/24/06 08:10 AM
David Walker
800-753-5237
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: How to contact AER? - 02/24/06 12:47 PM
Do you know if they will sell just the short block, and how much?
Posted By: gotapex Re: How to contact AER? - 02/24/06 10:29 PM
Not too sure, but I do sort of doubt it.
Posted By: tropictour Re: How to contact AER? - 02/25/06 05:01 AM
Damn JED this is going to be the best sorted turbo project yet. IMO That would definitely be sick!
-tropictour
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: How to contact AER? - 02/25/06 03:23 PM
Originally posted by tropictour:
Damn JED this is going to be the best sorted turbo project yet. IMO That would definitely be sick!
-tropictour

Just traveling a path thatâ??s been well defined by other CEGerâ??s â??? and you already know the names.

Using an AER engine is a bit new in that I think the costs have generally made it impractical for contours â??? at least in the past.

If a long block with their custom turbo camshafts and 8.5:1 compression ratio is available for under $5,000 Iâ??ll be interested. My biggest question is the possibility of using my SVT UIM with their heads â??? maybe they offer porting. It would be a shame to have the engine show up all assembled and have to pull the heads for porting. I have to see what they suggest. I know there are a couple of Noble owners running SVT UIMs.

My goal is to simply â??bolt togetherâ? tried and tested components without a whole lot of experimentation. Minimal fabrication. I want reliable awesome power - and handling - and braking and I donâ??t want the car to look like it! I think the SVT Contour an ideal platform for this, the reason I came back to this hobby.

Hood closed, this car will look dead stock (lowered with 17� Focus SVT wheels) but will incorporate nearly every effective drivetrain, suspension and braking mod that so many talented people on CEG have pioneered.

I do have one really crazy idea almost guaranteed to stir up the CEG faithful... but Iâ??ll save it for now.
Posted By: Swazo Re: How to contact AER? - 02/25/06 06:33 PM
Originally posted by JEDsContour:

I do have one really crazy idea almost guaranteed to stir up the CEG faithful... but Iâ??ll save it for now.

Pull out the big wooden spoon, and stir away! I can't wait to see what you end up making!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: How to contact AER? - 02/25/06 06:53 PM
Hehehe

Sounds good, Bring it on!
Posted By: gotapex Re: How to contact AER? - 02/27/06 02:52 AM

If a long block with their custom turbo camshafts and 8.5:1 compression ratio is available for under $5,000 Iâ??ll be interested.

They dropped the price to $4300 plus just $100 shipping, so looks like you're interested.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: How to contact AER? - 02/28/06 02:13 AM
Does anyone know the difference between AER's heads and standard 3L heads with kinger's PnP service?
Posted By: Bronco_WRX Re: How to contact AER? - 02/28/06 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Twisted6:
Does anyone know the difference between AER's heads and standard 3L heads with kinger's PnP service?

Last I heard they used stock heads.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: How to contact AER? - 02/28/06 06:29 AM
There standard oval port heads. Wonder what there using for valve springs?
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: How to contact AER? - 02/28/06 04:57 PM
Originally posted by gotapex:

If a long block with their custom turbo camshafts and 8.5:1 compression ratio is available for under $5,000 Iâ??ll be interested.

They dropped the price to $4300 plus just $100 shipping, so looks like you're interested.

I want to know exactly what you get for $4300. Custom cams? Ti valve parts? What LIM (if any)? Coil on plug? DAMB/FF?

Why would you want the SVT UIM for FI anyway? That's made for N/A. Cool plasticness is the way to go. Get a big honker from a newer (2005+) 3L and you're good to go. Just add boost.
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: How to contact AER? - 02/28/06 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Bohica:

I want to know exactly what you get for $4300. Custom cams? Ti valve parts? What LIM (if any)? Coil on plug? DAMB/FF?

Why would you want the SVT UIM for FI anyway? That's made for N/A. Cool plasticness is the way to go. Get a big honker from a newer (2005+) 3L and you're good to go. Just add boost.

Same questions I have!

I haven't had a chance to talk to AER yet, but I will within the next week or so. I will post whatever information they give me.

I think there was a recent thread with more information. What interests me the most about these engines is that they are specifically set up for high performance boosted applications. Thatâ??s more than just compression ratio and custom increased duration cams. The engine uses forged rods and pistons and the block is machined for oiling improvement â??piston squirters.â?

I also think an unusual amount of care is taken in checking clearances and machining and such â??? what I would consider â??old schoolâ? blue printing type assembly.

Itâ??s an oval port engine with what I assume is a standard oval port LIM with 42lb injectors (Ford Lightning).

I like my SVT UIM but havenâ??t made any decision yet on how to proceed. Iâ??ll wait to hear what AER recommends. There are some other obvious alternatives to AER.

I have a really healthy budget set aside for this, a good chunk of which is already spent on the car itself, ADC T3/T4 turbo kit, new customized MTX75 and such. The money AER is asking does not seem excessive to me.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: How to contact AER? - 02/28/06 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Bohica:

Here is gotapex's quote from the last thread on this subject:

We use a custom forged aluminum piston from Wiseco which results in a compression ratio of about 8.5:1

The rods are Scat's 4340 forged H-beam with ARP 2000 bolts. (These are not the Q-Lite version)

Standard green top, 42 lb Ford Lightning injectors.

In terms of balancing and blueprinting:
Each crank is rebalanced to match the weight of the new forged rods and pistons. Each block is checked for deck height, main bore size, etc. Heads and cranks and inspected as well. Due to small variations in piston size, we measure each and every one in our climate controlled quality dept and then make very closely matched sets of six. After this, each block is honed to match the set of six pistons. We do this in order to maintain very tight control over the piston-to-bore clearance to reduce the possiblilty of piston slap from the increased clearance requirements of a forged piston.

Other items which are different:
1) The camshafts are a unique profile with increased lift and duration.
2) The block is specially machined to install piston squirters on each cylinder.
3) The accessory drive setup requires a non-stock front cover.
4) We use a special dual frequency damper for engine smoothness. This is not an underdrive or lightweight type change.
5) Lighter weight 19 lb flywheel (SVT flywheel)
Posted By: gotapex Re: How to contact AER? - 02/28/06 11:10 PM
Originally posted by livinsvt:
There standard oval port heads. Wonder what there using for valve springs?

I think they're pretty standard ones.

I bought some upgraded ones for mine (from the ST220) from Jesse, but ended up not using them. I ended up going the custom route with an even stiffer setup.

If anyone needs these ST220 springs, let me know.
© CEG Archives