Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: mossdahaus Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 05:03 AM
Hello, I'm a newbie and just purchased a silver frost 00'. I have some money and looking into doing a hybrid 3L swap. Well, I tried to go to buckshot motors website but it wouldn't come up. Are they closed?!?! If it does work, will someone post a link to their correct website please. And is Arizona chip also closed? I tried going there. Again, if you have the website, please post. Thanks
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 05:08 AM
Sort of a waste of money if you ask me. Isn't it 1800 for just the bootom end all prepped. You can pay a CEG'r to do it with all the goodies for like, a little over 3k. pm blackcoog for prices. I know he does em, as well as alot of other guys. If you can do it yourself...you should. Also, I'd suggest a an oval port 3L instead of the hybrid. Do some searching on the topic and make up your mind...
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 05:10 AM
hes in MI, id give stazi a PM im sure he can help you out
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 05:31 AM
Buckshot is a forum guy too...
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 05:33 AM
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoââ??¢:

What's your point?

The guy is new asking for information. Both Buckshot and ADC sites are down right now so he turned to us.

to you
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 05:37 AM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

What's your point?

The guy is new asking for information. Both Buckshot and ADC sites are down right now so he turned to us.

to you

Originally posted by posthuman63t:
Sort of a waste of money if you ask me. Isn't it 1800 for just the bootom end all prepped. You can pay a CEG'r to do it with all the goodies for like, a little over 3k.

the 1800 includes a brand new shortblock and the work done to it! I think...
Posted By: mossdahaus Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 05:44 AM
Thank you for your help
Posted By: Stazi Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 01:21 PM
I'm in Livonia, and I do 3L swaps too. If you are serious about going the 3L route, drop me a PM. Be warned, a 3L swap, with the necessary transmission mods/improvements, plus the labor to do the swap and the extra parts you need to buy will cost you around $3500. Sure you can do it cheaper, but that's just asking for trouble....especially if you think you are going to drop the untouched stock tranny back in and not think that you're going to break the diff or crap-out the synchros.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 02:18 PM
I think my domain name registry accidentally ran out on me and I didn't get a notice about it. I've got to get in touch with my hosting company tonight and get it back up and running.

I'm not sure why ADC's site is down. The shortblocks I sell through ADC are fully torn down, checked, prepped, and rebuilt with new/upgraded parts. There is a lot of work invovled in that. I can't comment on whether or not the other guys doing these builds go as far as I do on the ones I provide, so I won't speculate, but basically with mine you are getting a rebuilt and prepped motor.

You can email keith@arizonadynochip.com for more pricing and information on it or drop me a PM.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: mossdahaus Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 03:30 PM
What modifications do I need to make if I go with the buckshot engine? Just tranny upgrades? If so, what kind of upgrades? Stazi, do you have a lift/garage that could handle it or no? If not, I have a garage/lift with over $10ok of snap-on tools avalible any weekend and night
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 04:41 PM
Originally posted by mossdahaus:
What modifications do I need to make if I go with the buckshot engine? Just tranny upgrades? If so, what kind of upgrades? Stazi, do you have a lift/garage that could handle it or no? If not, I have a garage/lift with over $10ok of snap-on tools avalible any weekend and night

Answers
Posted By: djdanyloz Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
I'm in Livonia, and I do 3L swaps too. If you are serious about going the 3L route, drop me a PM. Be warned, a 3L swap, with the necessary transmission mods/improvements, plus the labor to do the swap and the extra parts you need to buy will cost you around $3500. Sure you can do it cheaper, but that's just asking for trouble....especially if you think you are going to drop the untouched stock tranny back in and not think that you're going to break the diff or crap-out the synchros.

I'm still in the market to have you do my 3.0 swap this summer, whats all included for that price? Just curious, what tranny mods are done etc. Also how long do you usually want a car for? Thanks Stazi!
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 04:56 PM
Not trying to steal Business from Stazi, but I have a shop too. Can do 3.0's, trans removals and such as well. As I stated before not trying to steal business from Stazi becuase we are obviously friends.

Just another option...
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 06:43 PM
Is the PM function broken?
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 07:07 PM
the 1800 includes a brand new shortblock and the work done to it! I think...

yea, I believe it does. It still isn't worth the 1800 IMO. You can find a complete low mileage (under 5-10k) for around $3-500. Which it will be brokn in and there is no huge difference between a new engine and one with 5k on it...especially if you replace all bearings and whatnot. So $1300 to modify it is real steep if you ask me. Especially when CEG'er do the whole swap for you with upgraded everything for around $3-3500.

I have nothing against Buckshot at all. I've heard good things, all I'm saying is there is a much cheaper (and just as reliable) route to take.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 07:18 PM
And how many people don't want to prep the engine's themselves? Quite a few people want a motor to drop in and will pay for it. Not everyone trusts themselves to rering, grind, install new bearings, gaskets etc. You're paying for labor and a motor that has been inspected and torn down. Not smart to get a $500 and go through it before installing as I have learned the hard way as well as have others.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 07:25 PM
Originally posted by todras:
And how many people don't want to prep the engine's themselves? Quite a few people want a motor to drop in and will pay for it. Not everyone trusts themselves to rering, grind, install new bearings, gaskets etc. You're paying for labor and a motor that has been inspected and torn down. Not smart to get a $500 and go through it before installing as I have learned the hard way as well as have others.

ok, i agree with the "not everyone wants to do it and is willing to pay for it" but with a buckshot engine, you STILL need to add components to it and still NEED to upgrade the tranny and install it in the car. I said CEG'ers will do all of that for you for about $1500 more than what youd be paying for just the buckshot engine. In the end, you'd save money...

But how is an engine with 5k miles on it, that has been completely torn down and rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing, and knows what is bad and good as far as condition of parts...not as reliable as an engine that buckshot has done? Simply because the engine has been run before vs one that hasn't? If its complely rebuilt by someone with knowledge...it IS just as reliable.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 07:27 PM

ok, i agree with the "not everyone wants to do it and is willing to pay for it" but with a buckshot engine, you STILL need to add components to it and still NEED to upgrade the tranny and install it in the car. I said CEG'ers will do all of that for you for about $1500 more than what youd be paying for just the buckshot engine. In the end, you'd save money...

But how is an engine with 5k miles on it, that has been completely torn down and rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing, and knows what is bad and good as far as condition of parts...not as reliable as an engine that buckshot has done? Simply because the engine has been run before vs one that hasn't? If its complely rebuilt by someone with knowledge...it IS just as reliable.

You Obviously don't get the point,
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 07:38 PM
Posthuman,

You might want to actually figure out what product I provide and what you're actually talking about before posting on a public forum and making zero sense.

FYI at last price check a new shortblock from Bill J was $1300 plus shipping, plus $500 core charge and still needs prepped and doesn't include upgraded bearings etc, etc. I don't want to argue with anyone on here, but the main thing for anyone doing, building, buying a 3L, etc is buyer beware you get what you pay for.

Rick
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 07:56 PM
pm's sent
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 08:00 PM
ok, i agree with the "not everyone wants to do it and is willing to pay for it" but with a buckshot engine, you STILL need to add components to it and still NEED to upgrade the tranny and install it in the car.

No, you don't need to add anything to the buckshot engine at all. It's ready to bolt your heads/etc to and install into the car. There is also no need at all to do tranny upgrades. Abuse kills the tranny, not the extra power. How many broken diffs on stock SVT's and SE's have you heard about? I did my 3L SE for around $800-$850 total and had over 24,000 miles on the swap when I sold it. Never had a problem...

You are almost correct in those statements, there is almost no difference. The people that do know what they are doing with a Duratec, know that the knowledge to rebuild a Duratec is worth money. People that know how to rebuild, say... a small block Chevy or Ford, know squat about rebuilding a Duratec, I can assure you. These Duratecs are complicated little pieces of machinery.

The people that undercut Buckshot now to sell something cheaper are doing exactly what myself and Buckshot used to do to Terry Haines back when BNMotorsports sold prepped engines... providing competition. That's also the reason I no longer prep Duratecs, the money made isn't worth the time spent. I'd charge more than Rick does if I were to do it all over again.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 08:08 PM
What I meant by add components is that you still need to add heads (and internals) LIM, UIM, TB, etc.

I agree with your 2nd stuff though. I was a little overzelous with my "just as reliable" statement. It's more like, pretty reliable for a rebuilt vs. buckshots "no worries at all".

To clear things up here...

I didn't make any posts in here to drive business from buckshot. If you buy from him you are getting a worry free and excellent engine. My original intention was to let the original poster to know that there are other options. Some that will possibly be cheaper in the long run. No...I'm not saying the cheapest routes are the way to go, because your right...you do get what you pay for. I apologize if I've insulted Buckshot or anyone else...it was not my intention.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 08:37 PM
Originally posted by bnoon:

There is also no need at all to do tranny upgrades. Abuse kills the tranny, not the extra power. How many broken diffs on stock SVT's and SE's have you heard about?

Er..
Tim Kirk
Mark Cox, er Knox
and the other multiple people who've posted about them in the past is a start on broken diffs.

Its almost a certainity that people who dish out the cash or put in a 3.0L are going to 'abuse' their cars, and thus should use common sense and upgrade the transmission. Its like have a hot she-male girlfriend. Sure, she looks good, but under the hood its all f-ed up.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 08:43 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

There is also no need at all to do tranny upgrades. Abuse kills the tranny, not the extra power. How many broken diffs on stock SVT's and SE's have you heard about?

Er..
Tim Kirk
Mark Cox, er Knox
and the other multiple people who've posted about them in the past is a start on broken diffs.

Its almost a certainity that people who dish out the cash or put in a 3.0L are going to 'abuse' their cars, and thus should use common sense and upgrade the transmission. Its like have a hot she-male girlfriend. Sure, she looks good, but under the hood its all f-ed up.

Never blew my stock diff, even with all the abuse I put it through. With the 2nd tranny rebuild, and the 3L install, the diff did look like it was on it's last legs upon further inspection. I wouldn't dare install it with the abuse that this motor/tranny has seen.

Mark
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

Er..
Tim Kirk
Mark Cox, er Knox

Never blew my stock diff, even with all the abuse I put it through. With the 2nd tranny rebuild, and the 3L install, the diff did look like it was on it's last legs upon further inspection. I wouldn't dare install it with the abuse that this motor/tranny has seen.

Mark

Ok, to me then, but there have been more than a few to post'em up.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 08:52 PM
Brad was trying to say that stock motors have enough power to blow up the diffs if/when abused so it really doesn't matter that there is a different engine in there, it matters who is driving. I agree the diff should be upgraded, but it's not an absolute necessity if you're not going to abuse the car.

Rick
Posted By: Nate S Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/23/06 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Brad was trying to say that stock motors have enough power to blow up the diffs if/when abused so it really doesn't matter that there is a different engine in there, it matters who is driving. I agree the diff should be upgraded, but it's not an absolute necessity if you're not going to abuse the car.

Rick

Agreed.
My differential is fine and I've launched it hard a couple of times, one with some wheelhop. Not that I've done this frequently though.

If you are doing the engine and have the extra cash then now is the time to do it. Definitely gives you peace of mind...I'm too afraid to launch my car relatively hard without an LSD. Next time I get work done on the tranny a torsen is definitely going in.

Posted By: Pale Horse Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/24/06 06:35 AM

Er..
Tim Kirk

Tim Kirk X 3 I Believe...
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/24/06 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

Er..
Tim Kirk

Tim Kirk X 3 I Believe...

SteedaSVT X4 Stupid warranty company wouldn't let me pay the extra for a quaife sooooooooo
Posted By: Swazo Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/24/06 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Buckshot77:

Rick

Exdelayed has even blown the diff in his zetec car Aren't they the same, only different FDR?
Posted By: Stazi Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/24/06 04:02 PM
If someone wants to hash out the cost of a 3L swap with me. Send me a PM.

As for working out of my house, I prefer not to. I may not have a lift, but I have everything else (engine hoist) I need to do this (hoist) and $3000 worth of Craftsman tools (=$10k worth of Snap-On).
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/24/06 05:27 PM
I have a $120 hoist, $35 engine stand and a $100 craftsman socket set and I do just fine.
Posted By: Barge Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/24/06 05:37 PM
Doesn't sound as nearly as impressive though.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/24/06 06:17 PM
I have a $120 hoist, $35 engine stand and a $100 craftsman socket set and I do just fine. Taking 5 years to finish my car:D

Maybe if you had 10k in snap-on you would have gotten done sooner
Posted By: Blackcoog_dup1 Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/24/06 06:23 PM
Hey maybe I should jump in and say I can do it to. Check the link in my sig for my car and the other 3L SVT's I've built. PM me for pricing.

Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/24/06 07:11 PM
Originally posted by SteedaSVTââ??¢:

Needs more LED steering wheel. 5 years huh?
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/24/06 07:19 PM
Originally posted by SteedaSVTââ??¢:

Needs more LED steering wheel. 5 years huh?

You wish you had the brain power i have to figure out how to make it work.

and 5 years is obviously is slightly overexaggerated. But kinda close
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 02/25/06 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
If someone wants to hash out the cost of a 3L swap with me. Send me a PM.

As for working out of my house, I prefer not to. I may not have a lift, but I have everything else (engine hoist) I need to do this (hoist) and $3000 worth of Craftsman tools (=$10k worth of Snap-On).

Yeah, but when you look at those Snap-On tools they just "look" really good!

I have a mix of everything, MAC, Snap-On, Craftsmen, Callenger, Proto, Kennedy, even ValuCraft and more.
I always acquired the tool that would do the job at the cheapest price.
But I do buy Snap on Ratchets cuz they look and feel so damned good and work better than almost any other.
Posted By: plance1_dup1 Re: Buckshot Motors?!?!?! - 03/01/06 02:32 AM
I dunno guys. I see posts all the time about how much it cost to have a 3 liter engine and quite frankly I have to wonder how you would get it done so cheaply. Im spending a lot more than what everyone else says they are spending but then again Im not doing any of the work. Dont ask how much Im spending, Im too embarrased to tell! But my car is getting the full treatment, new everything, engine, trans, headers, clutch, chip, expert tuning, blah blah blah. Plus, my car sat around for a couple years and due to that kind of neglect, Im paying for it now.

I have to admit I do not have the know how, I do not have the time to learn right now, I work two jobs plus Im studying in my spare time, I dont have the facilities and so on and so forth. I have lots of excuses but Im sure there are other people just like me who simply can't take the time to do all that much with the car other than enjoy them.

Im having buckshot do a 3 liter engine for me and judging from his correspondence back and forth, I am confident he is doing it up right. If you are a person who is in a hurry you may be disappointed that it takes awhile to get things right. I took my engine to him because I do not trust any of the shops around here who do 350 chevys day in and day out and because his reputation is solid. Im sure others could do the job but I will keep promoting Rick.

© CEG Archives