Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BSOELMAN PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 01:13 AM
Hey all. I have searched and come up with a lot of the same kind of stuff. Any way I need some answers, opinions
I have a 3L block from 02 escape bored .020 over, already filled for use as hybrid, I have crank and rods, no pistons, svt heads with new valves and 5 angle valve job, also I have the timing components needed for hybrid.

ok, the plan is to run N/A high compression with future nitrous use. what would you recomend for C/R. And what pistons should I use, OE or Aftermarket, what C/R will I get with .020 over OE piston with the svt heads

Next I need recomendations on an intake to use, I can get a metal taurus intake for dirt cheap, is that a split port style or oval port, looks like Stazi's for reference.

Next I know to get the newest oil pan from bill, but there is no windage tray or oil pump pick-up with the block, what should I get

Next what brand head Gaskets should I use

Next Camshaft selection, I have no cams either, sould I use svt cams, 3L cams wouldnt have water pump drive right?

Ok finally this is going in a 95 contour mtx. What will I need for tuning on the OBD1 system, I will need injectors as well, I have a fuel rail, return style I believe. Thanks In advance for all the help and if I missed something searching I am sorry, there is a lot of info I dont know what to use and not use.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 02:37 PM
Originally posted by BSOELMAN:

Next I need recomendations on an intake to use, I can get a metal taurus intake for dirt cheap, is that a split port style or oval port, looks like Stazi's for reference.

Next I know to get the newest oil pan from bill, but there is no windage tray or oil pump pick-up with the block, what should I get

3M4Z-6675-BA Upgraded Oil Pan Set
YL8Z-6622-BA 01+ Upgraded Oil Pickup (req 01+ main studs)
YL8Z-6687-AA 01+ Upgraded Windage Tray (req 01+ main studs)
(In the stickies)

Next what brand head Gaskets should I use

OEM or Felpro.

Fel-Pro Part# HS9038PT 2.5L Head Gasket Set (In the stickies)

Next Camshaft selection, I have no cams either, sould I use svt cams, 3L cams wouldnt have water pump drive right?

SVT

Ok finally this is going in a 95 contour mtx. What will I need for tuning on the OBD1 system, I will need injectors as well, I have a fuel rail, return style I believe. Thanks In advance for all the help and if I missed something searching I am sorry, there is a lot of info I dont know what to use and not use.

Searching turns up this.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 02:52 PM
How big of a shot do you plan on running and how often? If its 100> I'd go with stock pistons. Nitrous is hard on a motor, but I think Tom's (now Ray's) turbo has proved that the pistons can take a punishment. Plus, alot of its in the tune.

As for the cams, I'd stick with the SVT cams. The juice will make up for what minimal torque is lost down low.

I think the 11-1 compression is reasonable for the go go juice and pump gas.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 03:01 PM
Todd, are you suggesting he use the metal UIM? I thought most people were going with the plastic? Bsoelman, if it so happens that you need a plastic UIM, I've got one along with the LIM & T/B that I'll let go for CHEAP!! Just let me know man.

Mark
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Todd, are you suggesting he use the metal UIM? I thought most people were going with the plastic? Bsoelman, if it so happens that you need a plastic UIM, I've got one along with the LIM & T/B that I'll let go for CHEAP!! Just let me know man.

Mark

Needs more read better skills. He has SVT split port heads.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 04:09 PM
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

Mark

Needs more read better skills. He has SVT split port heads.

D'oh! Getting the 3L threads mixed up already. In that case, I've got some 3L oval port heads w/ cams and the intake manifolds I'll sell him for CHEAP!
I know he's using the 2.5L heads, but I don't know if it's because that's the route he wants to take, or if he just came across a block for dirt cheap, and already has the 2.5L heads from his Mystique.

Mark
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 04:14 PM
HE HAS THE HEADS COVERED. Caps for people that need help.

I have crank and rods, no pistons, svt heads with new valves and 5 angle valve job, also I have the timing components needed for hybrid.

Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 04:17 PM
Don't use the OBD-1...you are going to lose your $$ tuning that bugga
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 04:22 PM
So is he going to replace all the wiring in the car and PCM Pete? WTF? He can get the OBD-1 tuned just fine for about the same price as 2. Less options with 1 but who cares. Also I hope you have a Quaife planned.
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 06:05 PM
An option for camshafts is CAT Cams, just be prepared to pay alot for the cams.

Aaron
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 06:12 PM
Originally posted by NVS SVT:
An option for camshafts is CAT Cams, just be prepared to pay alot for the cams.

Aaron

Has anyone figured out / successfully transferred the cam gears to them?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 06:12 PM
And has anyone successfully put them in a car? And if so how many miles on the engine?

From Terry
...I have offerd,many times,to make up the sprockets
and vernier adjustment hubs etc for Cat cam owners and
set them up at the 'stoc' '0' degree position....Guess
they prefer to use them as a paperweight!...don't
forget I have shares in a full CNC m/c shop....

Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 06:33 PM
HE HAS THE HEADS COVERED. Caps for people that need help.

I have crank and rods, no pistons, svt heads with new valves and 5 angle valve job, also I have the timing components needed for hybrid.

No sh!t. From what I've gathered, Bsoelman is doing this 3L on somewhat of a budget. I figured that he MIGHT be using the 2.5L heads, ONLY because he found them for dirt cheap/free. Maybe the 3L block didn't come with heads. I'm just throwing out other options(3L oval port heads for CHEAP), which I would think someone like you would think is the wiser choice, since all 3L Hybrids are just plain stupid, right? If he is going the Hybrid route, because that is the engine that he feels is best for his setup, then he can decline my offer. What's so big about offering people parts? Get a grip.

Mark
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 06:41 PM
Who said 3L hybrids are not a bright idea besides Demon? Not I. Wouldn't be the way I'd go. I helped build rkneeshaw's hyb. that has been running for quite some time now. When I guy goes through the process of buying SVT heads and getting a 5 angle valve job he's usually made up his mind I would think.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 06:44 PM
gay lovers are so fun to watch
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 06:47 PM
Would be as much fun if Mark didn't turn into such a [censored] stick.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 06:58 PM
Would be as much fun if Mark didn't turn into such a [censored] stick.

I'm losing my damned mind! I read that he had the heads done, but forgot all about it, 30 minutes later. Can we pretend I never posted in this thread?

And Todd, does this mean that you don't love me anymore?

Mark
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 07:19 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

Now we know what you do with your spare time....
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 08:18 PM
Originally posted by posthuman63t:

The phrase don't knock it til you try it comes to mind...but um yeah...go ahead and knock it
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 08:43 PM
And has anyone successfully put them in a car? And if so how many miles on the engine?

From Terry
...I have offerd,many times,to make up the sprockets
and vernier adjustment hubs etc for Cat cam owners and
set them up at the 'stoc' '0' degree position....Guess
they prefer to use them as a paperweight!...don't
forget I have shares in a full CNC m/c shop....

I was speaking with the CAT Cam rep and so far the shop has sold 5 sets to guys in the US that are using them on their 3L Hybrid motors.

Aaron
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 08:55 PM
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoĆ¢ā??Ā¢:

The phrase don't knock it til you try it comes to mind...but um yeah...go ahead and knock it

Ew...I'll pass. But! Since you have an interest...you can take my spot...
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/15/06 09:13 PM

Ew...I'll pass. But! Since you have an interest...you can take my spot...

C'mon guys, I am a sexy [censored]..asks Mark's sister and mom!
Posted By: BSOELMAN Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/16/06 01:43 AM
thanks guys and I just must not search well, sorry tod. anyway I bought it all the way it is for 400. I am just wighting my options, if the price is right I will go with the oval ports and plastic manifold. anyone want to buy a set of svt heads. If I switch to oval ports then how do I go about removing the filled spots in the block, this motor already ran as a hybrid. also if I go that route what will I need to do about pistons, can I stll bump up the compression a bit? thanks again tod for the part numbers and I will be taking the tranny to terry for a quife and other stuff
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/16/06 01:38 PM
With the oval port heads you'll need to have the 2 fuel rails brazed together, EGR tubes joined by a compressoin fitting, an SVT TB to swap over the bracket and guts to the 3L TB. You need to search a lot. To bump the CR you're going to need custom pistons. Cha ching. I'd stick with your current route due to cost. The SVT heads will give the bump in CR.
Posted By: BSOELMAN Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/16/06 05:42 PM
im getting the heads and intake from mark, he also has a fuel rail but it will have to be modified im assuming. I still should try to find svt cams though right, and I have to buy pistons anyway so why not just get custom ones, unless they are stupidly expensive. are taurus heads going to have a provision for the waterpump?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/17/06 01:33 PM
Terry has SVT cams if you need some.
Posted By: BSOELMAN Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/17/06 06:09 PM
OK sweet. also how about tuning. I read something a while back about a piggyback system for tuning obd1. I dont think it was the tweecer or the emanage.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/17/06 06:12 PM
Ok I'm done. You're not reading or searching anything.

IN THIS POST!

Searching turns up this.

Posted By: BSOELMAN Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/18/06 09:54 PM
sorry todd, thanks for pointing that out again I get
Posted By: Pope Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/26/06 04:19 PM
Build your own stand alone, and without breaking the bank.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/26/06 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Pope:

That will cost you more in the end than an Xcal
Posted By: Pope Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 02/28/06 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Pope:

That will cost you more in the end than an Xcal

Only on a 98+, and only if you go all out. I only have $550 into the kit on my Mustang, and I could have saved $200 by sticking with factory Narrow-Band O2 and another $40 if I made my own wiring harness.
Posted By: BSOELMAN Re: PROJECT QUESTIONS - 03/02/06 11:20 PM
HEY Pope wasup man. that looks like it could be the way to go. I am checking into how much I will be able to do with an xcal on an obd1 car. at least I know now I have a few options.
© CEG Archives