Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: CHF_Slapaho_dup1 Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/01/04 01:32 AM
So, I'm trying to compile a list of the lightest racing rims I can find for my SVT. I was looking for some suggestions or additions to my list. Maybe other people can use this list for future reference. I'm focusing on 17"s myself. Right now, here's the ones I remember off the top of my head:

Kosei K1 Racing ??

According to Tirerack.com this wheel doesn't fit the SVT, but I'm sure I had seen it listed as a good fit somewhere before, am I right?

OZ Superleggera ~$260 @ http://www.skperformance.com/WHEELS/OZ_RACING.htm

SSR Competition ??

17x7.5. The other SSR rims are relatively light also, right?

ATS Competition Lite ~$150 @ www.discounttiredirect.com

Rota SDR ~150 @ www.zxtuner.com

17x7.5

Rota Subzero ~$150 @ www.zxtuner.com

17x7.5

Rota Attack ~$140 @ http://revolutionsmotorsports.com/en-us/dept_59.html

There was a gb in the works for these but it fell through. That site says they have them in 4x108. They're slightly lighter than the Subzero's IIRC. 17x7.5

Any others that I should mention?
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/01/04 01:37 AM
Centerline.

Volk makes the TE37 in our bolt pattern (last I checked a while ago).
How much are the Volks? They're probably up there w/ the OZ's, right?
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/01/04 01:56 AM
HA! A TE 37 in 17" will run around 450 per wheel. Yes. Per wheel.

FYI, most places will not show prices on Volks. It's in the agreement with Volk to not advertise prices. That's why you'll always see "Call for prices".
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/01/04 01:58 AM
I have the Rev Model XIIs....which Mark (WorldTour) pointed out last weekend look exactly like the OZ Supperleggeras..... My rims are lightweight....hmmmmmm.
Can anybody get info on those K1 Racing rims? Someone on this board was using them, weren't they?
Posted By: slolx50_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/01/04 06:36 AM
i know that i have seen a silver frost SVT running them at an SVTOA event in indy. i believe that the guy is fron Canada. SVT_Fern maybe?
Posted By: EvlBill Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/01/04 01:39 PM
They used to make the Kosei K1 for our cars but sometime last year (spring or summer maybe?) they put them on clearance and sold out the 4x108 bolt pattern. Actually, I just checked out the Kosei web page and I don't think those wheels are made anymore.

Edit: looking through some old posts, it looks like SVTFern, RogerB, and mcgainer all have those wheels (or did)
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/01/04 03:24 PM
Originally posted by slolx50:
i know that i have seen a silver frost SVT running them at an SVTOA event in indy. i believe that the guy is fron Canada. SVT_Fern maybe?

Yep...that's SVT Fern. He's running Kuhmo Victor Racers on them and if I'm not mistaken he got one of the last sets Tire Rack had.
Posted By: SVTFern_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/02/04 12:11 AM
You guys are right. The four K-1s I got had to be shipped from two different Tire Rack locations in order for me to get the four. They even staggered the shipping dates for me so that they would arrive at Gingerman at the same time so that I could put them on when I got there from Toronto. They were 17 x 7.5 and I run Victoracer 225 45 17. from what I remember they were a closeout deal.

Fern
Posted By: stilov Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/02/04 12:58 AM
if I do wheels...Rev X...17lbs or so...not bad
Posted By: wavrdr_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/02/04 05:02 AM
The lightest non-custom offering's in our bolt pattern are the Centerline RPM(13.5 lbs, yet I've heard lighter when weighed in person), and the Weld Racelite RS-11.7 lbs.

Both wheels are in the $275-$350 range for a 17"....
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/02/04 07:37 PM
I've had a shipment of 17x7.5" wheels 'in the water' since January. They weigh 18lbs a piece. I guess that's not TOO bad.

Ooops, forgot to say what brand. I ordered Team Dynamics - if everything goes right I'll be the only person in North America with them on my car. For at least a week anyway...
For those who've never seen them...

Centerline RPM ~$350 @ http://www.centerlinewheels.com/wheels_detail.php?mw_id=4&sw_id=27

Posted By: path914 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/03/04 04:20 PM
I have the Centerline Impulses and I weighed them at 12.5lbs per wheel. Those are the lighest that I know of. I got mine used, so I don't know what they run new, but probably $300-$350 per wheel.
These them? The Centerline site doesn't list the Impulses anymore, but they have a similar rim called the Storm.

Centerline Storm

ps you can see the impulse rims over at www.ctamotorsports.com under the project SVT section
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/04/04 12:39 AM
Originally posted by chknhwk:
I ordered Team Dynamics - if everything goes right I'll be the only person in North America with them on my car. For at least a week anyway...

What model?

Doesn't Dion have Team Dynamics on his ride?
Posted By: path914 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/04/04 03:28 AM
Originally posted by CHF_Slapaho:
These them? The Centerline site doesn't list the Impulses anymore, but they have a similar rim called the Storm.

Centerline Storm

ps you can see the impulse rims over at www.ctamotorsports.com under the project SVT section

Yup, those are the ones I have. For some reason they re-named them this year. Chris Wong at CTA Motorsports had them on his project car for a while, but had problems with the balance. Luckily, I have not had any of the issues he had.
Posted By: weargle Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/04/04 02:18 PM
Originally posted by SVTFern:
You guys are right. The four K-1s I got had to be shipped from two different Tire Rack locations in order for me to get the four. They even staggered the shipping dates for me so that they would arrive at Gingerman at the same time so that I could put them on when I got there from Toronto. They were 17 x 7.5 and I run Victoracer 225 45 17. from what I remember they were a closeout deal.

Fern

The only Kosei K-1s that Tire Rack has are in a 4x100 bolt pattern. But they do have blanks that they can custom drill -- for a price.

I'd go for the ATS Comp Lites.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/04/04 10:43 PM
Originally posted by 1314:
I ordered Team Dynamics - if everything goes right I'll be the only person in North America with them on my car. For at least a week anyway...

What model?

Doesn't Dion have Team Dynamics on his ride?

Pro Race 1's.
Posted By: Pete D_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/05/04 09:19 PM
The Centerline RPM's are still in production (or should be) I ordered a set for my Volvo a few weeks ago. $1060 for 4 shipped from Wheels America.

I don't know if it's made in 4x108 but the Racing Hart CP-035 is a real nice wheel, although they are about $400 a pop
The Rota Subzero's are a knock off of that rim. I'd much rather pay $150 than $400 tho.

Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/06/04 05:08 PM
The Rota Subzero's are a knock off of that rim. I'd much rather pay $150 than $400 tho.

That is why I got them. They look sweet on the car too.
Posted By: path914 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/06/04 05:26 PM
Originally posted by myfastse:

Eric, any update on your wheels?
Posted By: myfastse_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/06/04 07:57 PM
Originally posted by path914:
Originally posted by myfastse:

Eric, any update on your wheels?

Yeah, nothing. Damn County.
Well, thanks for all your help rounding up these finds. Perhaps I'll find some more to add to the list. Maybe the mods can pin this thread or soemthing.

Thanks again.
Updates:

ASA LW5 ~$150 @ www.tirerack.com

17x7.5 . Tirerack says they're 17.2lbs

Kazera KZ-R ~$220 @ www.tirerack.com

17x7 @ 18lbs.

Kazera KZ-S ~$130 @ www.tirerack.com

17x7 @ 18 1/2 lbs.

Kazera KZ-V ~$140 @ www.tirerack.com

17x7 @ 17.6 lbs.

Kazera KZ-U ~$130 @ www.tirerack.com

17x7 @ 18.5 lbs.

Shuk W22 ~$290 @ www.tirerack.com

17x7 @ 18.5 . The satin silver looks nice.
The almighty Volk TE-37 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 05/25/04 11:33 PM
The almighty Volk TE-37 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Originally posted by 1314:
Volk makes the TE37 in our bolt pattern

I just forgot to add pics. I figured everyone knew what they looked like.
Is there any truth to the rumor I heard that the stock 14" steelies for low-trim Tours weigh substantially less than any of these fancy rims do?
Saw a few people running on these this week at a local AutoX.

http://www.teamdynamicsusa.com/ <- That's the company product database. You can flip through their multiple colors & centercap schemes for each wheel type.

http://www.shoshop.com/guidelog/svt/svtchp6.htm <- Shoshop lists the available Team Dymanics wheels they sell that fit our pattern. Maybe you can find better pricing out there.

Pro Race1 ~$ ??

17x7.5 @ 17.6 lbs. Available in several colors. Saw a bunch of these this weekend @ the track.

Pro Race2 ~$ ??

17x7 @ 15.5 lbs. Made in a few colors. I don't think these fit us either

Pro Comp1 ~$ ??

About 19lbs for 17x7. Don't think they're our pattern tho The Race1's might be a better buy anyways, considering the weight & size.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 07/28/04 04:28 PM
The Pro Race 1's in 17x7.5" shouldn't even be in the states yet - I know because I've been waiting since February for mine. The reps from Team Dynamics can't even tell my supplier WHICH wheels are in the first shipment which is still in the water.
Needless to say I cancelled my order and am currently trying to get Rotas.
Posted By: StreetDreams Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 07/29/04 10:26 AM
konig Next are lightweight wheels not to badly priced.....18s with tires (1575)
Konig Next

Nice looking. But, I don't see them in our pattern.
Posted By: StreetDreams Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 07/29/04 09:26 PM
yup, they sure do...here are some pics. i ordered them from Discount Tire Direct

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=picsvids&Number=668787&page=5&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

when i had purchased them, they had just came out.
for those of you who don't want to go taller, but would like wider wheels.

Borbet Type B ~$120 @ www.tirerack.com

16x7.5 @ 19lbs. Not too bad.
ATS DTM ~$80.00 @ www.discounttiredirect.com

17x7, can't find the wheel weight tho. Could someone find this for me?
From http://www.wheelsboutique.com using their car search engine on a 2000 Ford Contour.

BBS RC ~ $470

17x7.5 @ ?lbs. The 18" version is listed at 18.5 lbs. Multiple color combos.

BBS RGR ~420

17x7.5 @ ?lbs. Multiple colors including Diamond Black.

BBS RK ~290

17x7 @ 16.5lbs. Shown here in "Plasma".

The next few wheels racing wheels from IForged, but I couldn't find the weights. All are 17x7

IForged Aero RS ~$380

IForged FS6 RS ~$380

IForged Insight RS ~$380

IForged Swift RS ~$380

IForged Victory RS ~$380
Posted By: Pale Horse Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 09/04/04 10:28 PM
Koenig and ** Angelic Music Heard In The Background ** The GodSend Of All Wheels HRE Either makes wheels in a multiple bolt patterns or can custom drill the correct bolt pattern for our cars...
Yeah, I love HRE.

Here's one from Falken. Listed at http://www.wheeldiscount.com

Falken Hanabi (Low Pressure Cast) ~$180

17x7 @ ?lbs. Falken's website says its a low-pressure cast lightweight wheel, but doesn't quote the weights. Available in bronze & other colors.

Found a company called Speedy Wheels advertising light weights, but I think they're mostly 4x100's.
<- Lite-6
<- Lite-7
<- Hi-Speed Racing
<- Race Mode
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 09/06/04 11:43 AM
I bought a set of BBS RX's (17 X 7.5) used and don't know what they weight, anyone know
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 09/06/04 03:08 PM
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:
I bought a set of BBS RX's (17 X 7.5) used and don't know what they weight, anyone know

I wanna know the same thing.
Tirerack.com has BBS RX's in 17x8 @ 21lbs. RXII's are 26lbs
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 09/07/04 08:26 PM

Thanks for the info and I wonder if the wheels are actually 8" instead of the 7.5" thats listed on the rim itself, I've heard the FSVT wheels are wider than they're listed too
Posted By: EricF Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 09/07/04 10:00 PM
Konig holes 17x7.0 @17.84lbs
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 09/07/04 11:09 PM
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:

Thanks for the info and I wonder if the wheels are actually 8" instead of the 7.5" thats listed on the rim itself, I've heard the FSVT wheels are wider than they're listed too

Good Lord! My 15" Rotas weigh 11 lbs each!
I really like the Konig Holes, especially with that gunmetal & polished lip. Too bad they're only 17x7.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 09/09/04 12:49 AM
I really like the ATS's I got:

I don't have an exact weight yet but they are definitely LIGHT.

ATS Competition Lite ~$150 @ www.discounttiredirect.com

From page 1. I'm not sure on weights either.
Well, I wrote to Speedy Wheels, Inc. This is what they had to say:

Quote:

Hi, Eric,

Yes, our L6 in 17" , L7 in 18" and Hi-Speedy 17" are all make 4-108 pattern.

Thanks,
Betty

Now, the English is bad, but from what I gather they make:
<- Lite 6 (silver, charcoal, white)
<- Lite 7 (silver, charcoal, white)
and
<- Hi-Speed Racing (silver, black, gold, white)
in 4x108. I'm requesting more information, such as wheel weights, ASAP.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 09/18/04 12:03 AM
The Konig Traffik 17" wheel weighs in at 15.9 lbs. Only DubKatz and I have these wheels as far as I know, but there are plenty of pics floating around if interested.
These? What a bargain dude!

Konig Traffik ~$100 @ http://www.discounttiredirect.com

17x7
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 09/18/04 06:57 PM
HOLY SHNOZZLEBERRIES! I paid full price for those a year and a half ago, thats' like an extra $100+, I could have bought a spare! It looks like they are only available in white while they last, good thing that's what I have, I might just order a few extra. Nice find. At that price it would be worth it to buy them then get them powdercoated whichever color you like.....

BTW, this is what they look like on the car.

I like the Konigs. When I bought my wheels I looked at the other Contours on the site. Enkei RS5's and the Konig Tantrums were the only ones I liked. I bought 17" Enkei RS5's from whalentire.com. Hope to see you at TY park on Sat.
Posted By: galeforce Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 12/24/04 04:38 AM
I think if I remember right, they're only 12lbs! Did you have the bronze custome done, 'coz last time I looked they didn't have that color, only silver and gunmetal.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 01/02/05 04:25 PM
Originally posted by galeforce:
I think if I remember right, they're only 12lbs! Did you have the bronze custome done, 'coz last time I looked they didn't have that color, only silver and gunmetal.

No custom colors, I just ordered what was on the DiscountTireDirect website.
Wait... which are 12lbs? The Konigs or the Enkeis?
Posted By: galeforce Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 01/03/05 04:38 AM

Sorry, didn't make it clear. The ATS's
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 01/03/05 05:27 AM
Originally posted by galeforce:

Sorry, didn't make it clear. The ATS's

In what size? 14"???

They list the 15x7 ATS Competition Lite at 13.0 lbs.

The 17x7.5 would have to be a tad heavier don't you think???

That 12lb comment peaked my interest since I've been looking for 17's so I did some digging. The only weight I could find was for their 15x7 rims.
There's no way the ATS's are 12lbs for only $140 a piece. OZ Superleggera's at 17 x 7 are not that light and cost way more.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 01/04/05 05:37 AM
There's no way the ATS's are 12lbs for only $140 a piece. OZ Superleggera's at 17 x 7 are not that light and cost way more.

Exactly my point.

I am weighting (pun intended) to get an answer from him to my question...

If 15's = 13lbs then???

The lightest, cheapest, decent looking 17x7.5's I have found are LM5's at ~17lbs for $130 each.

Anyone have pics of these on our car??? I searched without any luck...
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 01/04/05 04:29 PM
Demon, I would have to say my ATS' weigh in a bit less than that. I can hold one wheel straight out from my body with one hand; honestly they feel about the same weight as a 14 or 15 lb bowling ball. All I had for weighing instruments was a crappy bathroom scale at the time and it registered about 15 lbs. FWIW...
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 01/04/05 08:55 PM
we need to weigh these!!!

My Rotas are 17lbs for 17X7.5, which is pretty descent, and I only paid $120/wheel. . .but, the MINUTE I ruin one, I'm scrwed, since they were custom-drilled on GB. . .so I shall weight, Chknwk, can you weight them for real? wheelweights.net has 'em at 13lbs as Demon mentioned for the 15, so I would surmise that they should weight in like 16lbs. . .

Suneil
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 01/05/05 03:41 AM
My Rotas weigh 11 lbs a piece......good luck getting the ATS.....I wanted those first and nothing.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 01/05/05 07:15 PM
Originally posted by LoCoZs/c:
My Rotas weigh 11 lbs a piece......good luck getting the ATS.....I wanted those first and nothing.

Did you get 15's???

~~~on a related note to this thread~~~

How can so many people post grossly different weights for the same rims?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 01/05/05 09:22 PM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Originally posted by LoCoZs/c:

Did you get 15's???

~~~on a related note to this thread~~~

Yeah I got the 15s.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 01/06/05 02:49 AM

Um, it's the CEG?
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 01/06/05 07:52 AM

Um, it's the CEG?

or they are split between using kremit's scale or demon's scale, neither of which seem to measure in the same units
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 01/06/05 07:50 PM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
or they are split between using kremit's scale or demon's scale, neither of which seem to measure in the same units

We know which one of those is correct though.

I'd take 4 corner digital balance scales over anything every time.
From another post:

Posted By: SVT Doood Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 01/19/05 10:42 PM
Demon, I would have to say my ATS' weigh in a bit less than that. I can hold one wheel straight out from my body with one hand; honestly they feel about the same weight as a 14 or 15 lb bowling ball. All I had for weighing instruments was a crappy bathroom scale at the time and it registered about 15 lbs. FWIW...

I just weighed mine.

16.3lbs with center caps on a scale that is calibrated qrtly by a scale company.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 01/21/05 01:09 PM
Dang, they sure don't feel that heavy! I must just be getting burly in my old age.
Here's a new addition:

OZ Ultraleggera's ~$240 @ www.tirerack.com
17x7 @ 16lbs
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 03/21/06 04:41 AM
ultraleggaras 18x7 are 16.5lbs. dont know if i like how they look.
Posted By: monsoon725 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 04/04/06 11:07 PM
Who sells ATS wheels?

let me guess, the comp lite is no longer available.
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 04/05/06 01:08 PM
Originally posted by monsoon725:
Who sells ATS wheels?

Unless you had 4 sitting in the corner of your garage...like me
Posted By: monsoon725 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 04/05/06 01:16 PM
I found a place that sells them.

If they don't sell them and they have them listed for some reason, you wanna sell yours?
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 04/05/06 01:29 PM
Sure...PM me.

For referance...on discounttiredirect.com they used to go for $159 each.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 04/05/06 02:17 PM
Damn if I had known you had complites sitting around 4 months ago when I had money id have bought them then.
Posted By: monsoon725 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 04/05/06 02:37 PM
my only problem with comp lites or any rare wheel for that matter is if you bend one, you are f*cked.
Posted By: OB1 Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 04/11/06 07:29 AM
Originally posted by monsoon725:
Who sells ATS wheels?

I worked for them up until about 6 months ago! I might be able to get some. Let me make a few calls!
Posted By: Matty K Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 07/12/06 06:37 PM
Hey guys, this might seem a little silly, but howabout posting what's generally considered light, normal, and heavy for wheel sizes? Just as a point of reference for shopping....

What my "educated" guessing tells me:

For 17"s:

Light: Below ~17 lbs
Normal: ~18-22 lbs
Heavy: Above ~23 lbs

Seem around right?
Posted By: bensenvill Re: Lightweight racing wheel roundup - 07/13/06 08:46 PM
that sounds about right
© CEG Archives