Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Kremithefrog Tire choice - 10/15/03 12:35 AM
Now that my nittos have basically ZERO grip in the rain, sliding twice in one weekend and being able to spin the tires from every launch in the rain is enough for me. I'm pretty much set on Continental ContiExtremeContact for the price, performance, tread life, etc. Just before I buy them, I wanted to ask if anybody had something better to suggest or a place cheaper than tirerack to get them. TIA.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Tire choice - 10/15/03 12:42 AM
I love my Toyo Proxes T1-S's. I drive in the rain (115mph on the back straight at Mid-Ohio in the pouring rain, actually) and they are awesome. I can't recommend them enough unless you're looking for an allseason tire - these are everything but ice/snow.
Good luck!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Tire choice - 10/15/03 01:00 AM
If you don't mind my asking, how much and where from?
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: Tire choice - 10/15/03 01:03 AM
AVE ES100's are really good in the rain, or so I've read in a lot of other forums. And the price is good and can be bought at Discount Tire.

You can't buy Toyo's at Discount. At least I don't think you could .

Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Tire choice - 10/15/03 01:12 AM
I just want something decent in the rain, I think anything will be better than my current tires. Major concerns are price,performance, tread life/rain in that order.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Tire choice - 10/15/03 01:43 PM
Nope, can not get Toyo's at Tire Rack.

Tire rack has good prices but why pay shipping? I paid $170 apiece for my 245/45/17's on the Cobra locally. The cars demeanor changed instantly and dramatically. The amount of grip was incredible.
You'd have to check out an STS or something comparable for prices - they're not cheap but not outrageously expensive, either. As far as performance they're the best I've seen. In the rain? Like I said - over 100 mph speeds in the pouring rain - on a RWD car. The 'tour is find with the FWD at speeds in the rain. And I mean speeds...

Oh, and that's what Chris Wong runs on his CTA SVT Contour.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Tire choice - 10/15/03 05:04 PM
love my t1s too. i've seen them about 155ish online in 215/45/17.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Tire choice - 10/15/03 05:30 PM
Originally posted by chknhwk:
...why pay shipping?

Every time I've bought tires, I either can't find my selection locally, or they are more expensive locally, even without shipping. Even more true when you add local sales tax.

You're paying for the shipping, one way or another. When you buy from the retailer, you're paying his cost, plus his shipping, plus his overhead, his profit margin, etc.

Not saying you won't find good deals, ever, but...
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Tire choice - 10/15/03 09:26 PM
Well I think I'm set on the continentals. They're $89 each and the best tire I can find for under $100 or under $115. I know they're are better tires, but I think this is the best bang for your buck tire. I'll let ya'll know how I like them. Anybody wanna buy a cheap set of nearly bald nittos?
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: Tire choice - 10/15/03 09:34 PM
pirelli p-zero
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Tire choice - 10/15/03 11:06 PM
Again, $$$$.
Posted By: low10s Re: Tire choice - 10/16/03 04:01 AM
check the potenza 950's out. very good all around traction, i got about 45k out of mine. later
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Tire choice - 10/16/03 04:10 AM
Hmmm, $157 per tire (potenza) compared to $89 per tire (continental), no thanks. I'm sure they are a lotta great tires out there, but not many are affordable. As before, I think continentals are best bang for your buck. Though I would loved to be proved wrong if there really is a better tire in the same price range.
Posted By: tttc Re: Tire choice - 10/16/03 10:27 AM
Some might rip me for this but I like Kelly tires. Bought locally for just over 70 each.
http://www.kellyspringfield.com/auto/products/platinumte.html

I am on mile 50,000 and tread still looks good.
Posted By: Bridge_dup1 Re: Tire choice - 10/16/03 12:37 PM
Consumer Reports latest issue rated 10 High Performance tires on an SVT Focus (215/45/17).

Tires tested included Pirelli PZero Nero, Bridgestone S03's, Dunlop SP 9000's, Michilen Pilot Sports, Toyo Proxes T1-S, and the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3, to name a few (I don't have the mag here in front of me ).

Bottom line is that if you want high performance and money is no object they said to get the Toyo Proxes T1-S. Their best buy (which incorporates price/value AND performance) was the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's. IIRC the Toyo's only beat the Goodyear's on the wet handling test by a few points.

And considering the price difference (125 for the F1's, and 180+ for the Toyo's), it's not hard to tell what my next tire will be!!

Eagle F1's @ Tire Rack
Posted By: low10s Re: Tire choice - 10/17/03 01:20 AM
wasn't sure of your price range, i paid $460 for four tires mounted and balanced at my local firestone. good luck tire shopping. later
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Tire choice - 10/19/03 04:05 AM
What ya'll think of this? BF Goodrich® Scorcher� T/A Mite be cheaper for me just to buy them locally. Better or worse than the continentals? Thanks.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Tire choice - 10/19/03 04:59 AM
Alright, how bout these as well: Falken Ziex ZE-512, it's between falkens, continentals, and bf goodrich. What ya'll think? I'm trying to stay under $100 a tire, with best dry performance and something that won't leave me fishtailing when it's wet. Less shipping cost would also be good. Please help me out on this. Cuz once I buy the tires, sorta no going back for a while on it. Thanks.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Tire choice - 10/19/03 06:04 AM
Falken Ziex ZE-512 I had those on my old 300ZX they were good for smokey burnouts and donuts at the wee hours of the night. Oh and they didn't hook up for [censored] in the dirt. Anyways they sucked very slow wear they didn't hook up at all poor tires in my mind...Parada spec 2's I love em
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Tire choice - 10/19/03 06:14 AM
Thanks, so down with the cheap falkens. Still leaning toward continentals, less than $400 shipped from tirerack.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Tire choice - 10/19/03 06:44 AM
Yokahoma 520's are good
Posted By: low10s Re: Tire choice - 10/19/03 12:59 PM
why are you set on a tire under $100. just wait a little longer if possible and get a good tire with all around performance. good things come to those who wait my friend.
Posted By: BIGFISHE_dup1 Re: Tire choice - 10/19/03 01:48 PM
Yoko 520's are bricks.
I replaced them The Falken 512's and my corning grip and weather grip are So much better.
Then again, that is going from a 215 to a 225.
I really didn't like the Yok's they held well in a straight line, but I didn't have much faith in them in the corners, not to mention even with constant rotation, they wore very fast,I am an aggressive driver, in the turns/twisties, but you won't ever catch me doing burn outs etc..etc...
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Tire choice - 10/19/03 04:03 PM
Originally posted by low10s:
why are you set on a tire under $100. just wait a little longer if possible and get a good tire with all around performance. good things come to those who wait my friend.

First off, I regret everything I ever do to the contour but I NEED tires and it's unsafe for me to keep riding on these tires (you can see that line that means it's below minimum tread depth). I know there's some great tires for ~$150 each, but I don't wanna spend that. I just want the best for under $100 because I don't have a lotta money (got more than enough for tires, but I prefer not to spend it all on tires) and even if I was rich, I wouldn't be spending all my money on tires for this car. I think I'm gonna see what I can find locally, I'm thinking those colored scorchers could look really cool, but I hope they're decent in the rain, I heard they're good enough in rain.
Posted By: low10s Re: Tire choice - 10/19/03 04:26 PM
i understand man, i was in the same boat. my tires were bad but my wife didn't want me to get them just yet. after she drove it in the rain and it went all over the place she gave me the go ahead LOL. this is my second set of potenza 950"s, i just like them. they are not top of the line. but they ride good etc... yea you have to do what is best for you. later
Posted By: dTour Re: Tire choice - 10/19/03 08:21 PM
I have Kumho Ecsta HP4 716's and I love them. Best part was $60 a tire at Tirerack! I was looking for a cheaper tire like you and came across these on their website. After reading the test results and reviews I decided to try them. They had over 1,000 reviews and everyone seemed to love them. They were rated superior in all but 2 categories and the other two were rated excellent. $280ish for all four to my door. I don't race my contour or take corners at really fast speeds so they are perfect for me. Check them out you won't be disappointed.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Tire choice - 10/20/03 02:27 AM
Those specific kuhmos aren't offered in my tire size. Though I am thinking about the 712s, can anyone give me an opinion on them that has/does own them? The tread life isn't rated as great as the continentals but the traction is rated AA.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Tire choice - 10/20/03 08:11 AM
i have the contiextremes and i love them. before i moved back to school in Co. i did plenty of driving in the rain in Fl. they havent given me any reason to doubt them yet. and like you said, once i looked at the price, there was no going back. . .

i dont think i have heard one bad thing about the conti's yet.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Tire choice - 10/21/03 12:18 AM
Yeah I've only heard good things about them. It's between them and the kuhmos, I'm about to do a search, but I have yet to hear anything about the kuhmos except from one person and he likes his. Any info or thoughts on the continentals vs. kuhmos would be helpful. Thanks.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Tire choice - 10/21/03 04:13 AM
well if i knew anything about the kumhos i would give you some insight, but the conti's are the first set of tires i have bought for the svt, and i dont plan on getting anything else as long as they keep making these. well, unless they suck in the snow, which i hear they dont.
© CEG Archives