Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Kremithefrog Torque Wrench - 09/08/03 09:47 PM
I've decided I might should buy a torque wrench. Thing is I don't have lots of money and I know most torque wrenches cost a lot (my dad has two that cost over $200 each ). Does anybody know if I can use one that reads in inch lbs on things that need foot lbs. Would one that goes from 120-960 in lbs be able to set the torque on the wheels (85 ft lbs correct?) Any help is appreciated.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Torque Wrench - 09/08/03 10:00 PM
Found these:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml;$sessionid$QRXZLJIAAA0VGQSNDV1CFFCCJUOXKIV0?CATID=126242&BQ=jcw2

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml;$sessionid$QRXZLJIAAA0VGQSNDV1CFFCCJUOXKIV0?CATID=5539&BQ=jcw2

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Posted By: RoadRunner_dup1 Re: Torque Wrench - 09/08/03 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Would one that goes from 120-960 in lbs be able to set the torque on the wheels (85 ft lbs correct?) Any help is appreciated.

Since there are 12" to 1', you'd need 1020 in/lbs to torque your nuts...
Posted By: RoadRunner_dup1 Re: Torque Wrench - 09/08/03 10:51 PM
Search for this Sears Wrench #00944595000.
It is on sale for $49.99 !!!
Posted By: EvlBill Re: Torque Wrench - 09/08/03 10:53 PM
I just went to the local Sears store and bought one for $50. I've seen them at Home Depot and other stores for similar prices. It may not be as spiffy as the $200 ones but it does it's job fine.

My $0.02.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Torque Wrench - 09/09/03 02:07 AM
So ya'll think it would be better to spend $50 (Sears) than $26 (jcwhitney) or $10 (jcwhitney)? I just need it basically for the a fairly accurate setting on the wheels, I'm done with the engine (used the $200 torque wrenches on it ). If the jcwhitney one will do the job, then I'd rather get it because of the price difference. I only take the wheels of occasionally (every 3k+ miles for oil change, occasional brake caliper painting, rotating,etc.)
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Torque Wrench - 09/09/03 02:14 AM
Originally posted by RoadRunner:
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Would one that goes from 120-960 in lbs be able to set the torque on the wheels (85 ft lbs correct?) Any help is appreciated.

Since there are 12" to 1', you'd need 1020 in/lbs to torque your nuts...

We torque bolts to 2000-3000 ft lbs at work and those are torque to yield bolts. Thank god I haven't broke any yet ...inch pounds ain't sheeet

Kermit it's just lug nuts you don't need a highly precision, high accuracy torque wrench. But a good one is a wise investment for engine rebuilds, suspension work, any thing in general that needs torquing
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Torque Wrench - 09/09/03 03:14 AM
So any would be OK? Should I get the $26 one over the $10 one just because it's probably easier to know when you're at the right torque? Thanks.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Torque Wrench - 09/09/03 04:46 AM
yeah that $26 dollar one looks just fine. mine was 20-25 off ebay. has been working just fine. i will say this. the extension it came with i broke the first day. use an extension to not hit the cars body. my dad had craftsman extensions and sockets so all is good. and i torque mine to 95ft/lbs. the amount had been updated by ford from the previous 65-67. i think my 95 is in the ballpark.
Posted By: RoadRunner_dup1 Re: Torque Wrench - 09/09/03 05:43 AM
Originally posted by hmouta:
...and i torque mine to 95ft/lbs. the amount had been updated by ford from the previous 65-67. i think my 95 is in the ballpark.

95 ???
I always thought it was 85 ?

After I saw the Sears wrench for $49 (it is actually $69 but it is on sale!)
I ran out to my local Sears (5 min ride) and picked up one.
It is SOOOOOOOOOO easy to use.

According to the instructions with the wrench, you first Torq everyting to 80% of your final Torq number.
Then you Torq to your Torq number.
I did all of my shiny new Gorilla Lock Lugs to 70, and then to 85.
Didn't even break a sweat !

So now I've got to go back out and do them to 95 ??

Thank GOD this new wrench only has to be calibrated once every 5000 uses...
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Torque Wrench - 09/10/03 07:11 AM
wrench should be set to 0 when not in use. i basically tighten the nuts up til they're pretty tight then lower the car, give each a little more then back again to correct torque. i dont use two torque settings. i set it to 95 but never hit til the "final round" of tightening. i'm too lazy to search for the threads w/ the updated torque #. all i know is it used to be in the 60s and was revised, i recall reading 95 or ballpark and thats what stuck with me. oh and to avoid scratching your gorillaz, slide the socket over a plastic bag then onto the lug. i have a center cover so i dont care.
Posted By: Cueball Re: Torque Wrench - 09/12/03 08:04 PM
Got my torque wrench from tirerack. I remember the price was pretty reasonable.
Posted By: MotorCity Re: Torque Wrench - 09/13/03 04:40 AM
Harbor Freight has had some on sale for around $10 recently, the clickable kind. Have been meaning to get up there to check them out.
Posted By: ibub_dup1 Re: Torque Wrench - 09/16/03 05:35 PM
JC Whitney and Harbor Freight wrenches at low prices will not give you dependable, consistent results. Sears will be okay, and you should be able to find good deals on ebay, I've seen plenty on there for low prices. For a well-stocked tool set, you should probably have at least 2, one for the lower inch/lb range and one for ft/lbs. Either the click type or beam type will be okay for your purposes. You'll also want to match the drive size to the sockets you have, 3/8, 1/2 or 1/4".
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Torque Wrench - 09/18/03 12:07 AM
Thanks everybody. I'll be getting one soon I guess, hopefully I can find one locally for a decent price, if not, I'll probably go through jc whitney.
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Torque Wrench - 09/22/03 04:45 PM
Originally posted by ibub:
You'll also want to match the drive size to the sockets you have, 3/8, 1/2 or 1/4".

Couldn't you get a ¼" drive and have smaller adapters to fit ½ and ¾?
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: Torque Wrench - 09/22/03 05:15 PM
Go to sears...they'll replace it if you break it, or if anything goes wrong. You get what you pay for
Posted By: ibub_dup1 Re: Torque Wrench - 09/23/03 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Cris'pus:
Originally posted by ibub:
You'll also want to match the drive size to the sockets you have, 3/8, 1/2 or 1/4".

Couldn't you get a ¼" drive and have smaller adapters to fit ½ and ¾?

you could, but every adaptor, extension or swivel you add to the wrench will distort the torque readings (that is, the amount of torque actually applied to the bolt or nut).
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: Torque Wrench - 09/23/03 03:01 PM
Originally posted by SVZETEC:
Go to sears...they'll replace it if you break it, or if anything goes wrong. You get what you pay for

This does not apply to the click type torque wrench.
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: Torque Wrench - 09/23/03 03:42 PM
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:

Seriously? Even for craftsman?...wow that sux...

Does that prove how easily they break if sears won't cover them?
Posted By: MotorCity Re: Torque Wrench - 09/23/03 03:44 PM

Seriously? Even for craftsman?...wow that sux...

Does that prove how easily they break if sears won't cover them?

Yeah, I have a Craftsman torque wrench and its not covered. It is the cheaper style one but its still Craftsman.
Posted By: RoadRunner_dup1 Re: Torque Wrench - 09/23/03 03:57 PM

It applies to ALL Craftsman Tools.
I have a friend who works at Sears.
As long as I am a Craftsman Club Member,
all my Craftsman purchases are guaranteed against Manufacture Defects.

If you break the wrench by dropping it on the floor, it is not covered,
but if the wrench breaks while you are torqueing within the wrench's range, it is covered.
© CEG Archives