Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Chris@CTA RAGE Breaker wheels - 08/30/03 03:21 AM
Has anyone tried these wheels? Any opinions, good or bad? It is stated that they are light weight, assuming around 15 to 17 lbs. This is one of my choices to replace my Centerline wheels.

Link to very big picture of wheel.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 08/30/03 10:47 AM
Come on! I thought you said it was big.

Where did you find these? Are they 7"'s or 7.5"s? No idea on how much they weigh? I know you can get some 17x7.5 for under 17 lbs each. They are pricey, though and I'm not sure on spoke count, either. It looks like you prefer the five spoke style?
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 08/30/03 11:28 AM
I found them at Discount Tire. They are 17x7, 42 offset.

Rage Breaker Wheel Link.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 08/30/03 11:48 AM
Ok. Personally I really think you should try for some 7.5" wide ones so you can run the 235/40's. You're probably going to need the extra rubber with the Vortech.
I'll keep looking for you. I've found some for me but I prefer the multi-spoke look like the Enkei NTO3+M's and RH Evolution CP-8R's.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 08/30/03 11:54 AM
These look like a winner. Rev Model X.

Still looking.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 08/30/03 01:14 PM
"RO_JA Formula Series

Rotary forging technology allows wheel designs that are exceptionally strong yet lightweight. The Formula 5 and Formula 7 styles are joined this year by the newest design in the Formula Series, the FF5. The unique directional design is the officially licensed 2Fast2Furious wheel.

The 17x7” wheels are of one-piece forged construction. The 18” and 19” sizes are forged multi-piece styles available in widths ranging from 7” up to 10” to accommodate the varied offsets that the high performance and wide body kit applications require."

Formula 5 in 17x7 should weigh ~ 14.5lbs. Weight. Look under weight by Alpha and go to Ro-Ja.
Ro_Ja Formula 5. They look pretty sweet.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 08/30/03 05:12 PM
Chris - I'm sorry to hear about your probs w/ the centerlines. However, those rage wheels look very cool.

chknhwk - I like those Rev Model X wheels. Those look very cool! The RoJa look like they're kinda convex, which I don't really care for. I like the concave/deep dish look.

Rev Models I, XI, and XII are my personal favorites. How is "Rev" as a brand? Reputable?
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 08/30/03 05:18 PM
I have no idea. I was hoping Chris was going to be our test bed... Just kidding Chris!! You know I'm just trying to help!!
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 08/31/03 12:11 AM
HEH, you know that a cousin of mine, had shown me the Roja wheels prior to getting the Centerlines. I couldn't find a supplier for them locally, so I opted for the Centerlines. I had also seen the Rev wheels, but I have not had any prior knowledge of that name brand, but it looks quite good, don't know about the overall quality. Heck, after my current Centerline situation is over, I can say any wheel has to be better than what I currently have.

I am looking towards the Rage wheels, first, and now (thanks Chknhwk) the Rev wheels second.

My concern with any new wheel is the clearance between the spokes and the front Wilwood calipers on my SVT. The Focus wheels, as I mentioned somewhere here or in the Centerline thread, are too thick and will hit for sure. The Centerline spokes are about 1/2 the thickness at the point of closest proximity to the caliper, namely where the pistons are housed.

I hope the Rage or the Rev wheels clear.:)
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 08/31/03 05:18 AM
Good luck Chris - we want pics!
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 08/31/03 01:20 PM
John

Pics will come. I hope to have new wheels ASAP, regardless of the outcome with Centerline. The Centerlines are coming off for sure.

BTW, here are the wheels I would be lookng at from the REV line up.

First (looks identical to the Rage Breaker but in a hypersilver)

Second (As John suggested, and a nice polished wheel lip like my previous Konig Reign's)

Posted By: Derk-xB Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 08/31/03 01:21 PM
Originally posted by chknhwk:
Good luck Chris - we want pics!

I second that notion.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 08/31/03 05:28 PM
I have Rage 5.0s, they're pretty good wheels but definitely not light.
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/01/03 01:20 AM
FYI, if you want your rims to appear bigger, get the wheel in the first pic. My Rota's look just like the wheel in the second pic, and the recessed spokes with the lip give the wheel the appearance of a smaller wheel.
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/01/03 01:46 AM
I will probably will go with the first wheel, REV Model XI or Rage Breaker, due to needed spoke clearance, and as you mentioned, the wheel will appear larger since the spokes go out to the edges of the rim.
Posted By: Chris@CTA REV Wheels Model 10 - 09/02/03 01:45 PM
If I go with this brand, do I go with this colour......

or this colour?

Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: REV Wheels Model 10 - 09/02/03 04:43 PM
Um. I can't see the difference in those two pics. I say the second one, just because I want to believe it is more of a polished look .
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/02/03 04:51 PM
Originally posted by cawong11:
It is stated that they are light weight, assuming around 15 to 17 lbs.

I was told by DTD that they are 19 lbs, in the 16x7 inch. Nothing special in the weight department. I'd hate to ask what a bigger one would be.
Posted By: akrump47 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/02/03 05:16 PM
How much did your Konig Reign's weigh? I really like those wheels
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/02/03 05:54 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:
It is stated that they are light weight, assuming around 15 to 17 lbs.

I was told by DTD that they are 19 lbs, in the 16x7 inch. Nothing special in the weight department. I'd hate to ask what a bigger one would be.

Well, I decided to purchase the REV Model 10 wheels, 17x7, 40mm offset, 4x108mm, and in gun metal gray (only colour in stock at the moment). The claimed weight is 16.3 lbs each. That's reasonable, especially for the price $500.00 for all 4 plus shipping to Canada.

I would have preferred the Hypersilver, but that's a no go for 2 to 3 months. I can't wait that long, as I wanted to have the wheels by the end of the week, or early next week.

I'll take some pictures once they are installed, and post on our web site.
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/02/03 05:55 PM
Originally posted by akrump47:
How much did your Konig Reign's weigh? I really like those wheels

The Konig Reigns, in 17x7 weighed in at around 21 lbs each. Those were some heavy wheels, nice looking but heavy.
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: REV Wheels Model 10 - 09/02/03 05:57 PM
Originally posted by 1314:
Um. I can't see the difference in those two pics. I say the second one, just because I want to believe it is more of a polished look .

First one is gun metal gray, second one is hypersilver. I think hypersilver is a polished finish, but it's hard to tell from the pictures.
Posted By: akrump47 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/02/03 06:58 PM
Ouch, that's as heavy as the FSVT rims (which I wouldnt consider for the same reason)

Too bad, the Reigns were so nice looking ...
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/02/03 09:21 PM
Yes, and being that we had the FSVT wheel and Konig here at the same time, it was a toss up which one was heavier. They weigh in at about the same.
I had some spare time this evening so I did a little bit of Photochopping.

Current set up, with Centerline Impulse 445 (Actual picture)

Soon to be set up with REV Model 10 in gun metal gray. (Photchopped picture)

So what d'ya think?
I think you should pass on the centerlines. My brother has those on his tibby, and has bent all 4 in only a couple months of having them. They're too light and fragile, and the way the lip is, it makes them rather easy to get jacked up, even with 40-45 series tires. Yeah they're light...So? I seriously doubt you're gonna be doing such intense racing that you'll need 12lb wheels, and even if you did, I seriously doubt some other wheels, that weighed a few more lbs each, and didn't bend as easily, would have a huge impact on performance. Btw, if you must get those, get the polished. The polished look like chrome, might as well save yourself some weight if you're really into that.
I have already ordered the Rev wheels to replace the Centerlines.

So he bent them huh? I guess Centerline's web site is correct. The load rating of the Impulse 445 is 950lbs. Standard street legal cast wheels are 690kg (1518lbs)

FYI, there are no load ratings, or any sort of standard certifications stamped or printed on my Impulse 445's. That is very, very bad. All was there was a hand written marking 442 (4 bolt 42mm offset), in black marker, and nothing else. Am we to surmize that the Centerline forged wheels are not actually street legal?
deja vu dude. . .

hehe, looks nice though, very slick, very Rota. . .

It'll clear those 13'ers. . .nice and easy. . .

how many pounds? Rota's weigh in at 17ish (depending on what you get)

I like it Chris, better luck next time. . .

Yeah, my rims say 690kg on 'em. . .I guess you've taught us all a very good lesson. . .
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/03/03 03:53 AM
Nice choice, Chris. I can't wait to see the pics.
I really like silver cars w/ gunmetal. I think you made a great choice!
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
deja vu dude. . .

hehe, looks nice though, very slick, very Rota. . .

It'll clear those 13'ers. . .nice and easy. . .

how many pounds? Rota's weigh in at 17ish (depending on what you get)

I like it Chris, better luck next time. . .

Yeah, my rims say 690kg on 'em. . .I guess you've taught us all a very good lesson. . .

I must give credit to chknhwk, as John pointed me out to the REV wheels. I had not been to Speed and Style's web site or REV's web site in quite a while, figuring that the Centerlines were the way to go at that time.

I am happy to see that the clearance of my Wilwood brakes should not be an issue. REV wheels claims 16.3 lbs in a 17"x7" for their Model 10 wheel.

Pictures will come once the new wheels are installed, I promise.

I must give credit to chknhwk, as John pointed me out to the REV wheels. I had not been to Speed and Style's web site or REV's web site in quite a while, figuring that the Centerlines were the way to go at that time.

Dude, I have no life - I do nothing but look at wheels and . I have an issue of SCC, Super Street, Eurotuner and Turbo with the lightweight wheel/regular wheel special issue sections.

Like I said, I have no life.

Those look pretty sweet - I may look at them, too. I need new wheels. And I guess I can rest easy they'll clear any brakes I get!
Does anyone know anything about REV wheels? Does anyone have any experience with them? Just wondering.

BTW, Chris. Let us know how long it took for your order to ship, etc. so we can see how speedandstyle works. Thanks.
I should hope to have the new wheels by tomorrow, but most likely Monday of next week. I have not seen this brand before, but just like with most wheels on the market, these probably come from one of the factories over seas, making the same style of wheels under different brand names.

Posted By: Chris@CTA REV 10 Wheels are in Canada - 09/04/03 09:10 PM
For all of those who were interested to know how fast the wheels would get here, they are sitting at the UPS depot close to my location. That's amazine, ordered Tuesday at 12pm and in Canada this afternoon (2 days later).

I'm going to go pick them up this evening, and hopefully have them installed by tomorrow afternoon. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: REV 10 Wheels are in Canada - 09/04/03 09:33 PM
We need a big, fat thumbs up gif!!!!!!!!
I bought REV Model II 17x7 Hyperblack from SpeedAndStyle.com and they shipped very quick. Took about a week to get from Flordia to New Brunswick CANADA. I'm very happy with them so far.

Same here i bought some Rev 12s and i love them, Very lightweight and im very happy. Robert over at Speed and style is an awesome Guy. heres some pics. Click me
Darn UPS. I went over to the depot and waited for an hour. The service desk came back to tell me that the delivery driver already came and went, and they don't know where my wheels are in the warehouse. Guess I am going to have to wait till tomorrow to see them, and also to check for clearance with the front Wilwood calipers.
Posted By: papadage_dup1 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/05/03 02:18 AM
What tire upgrade would you guys get with the REV Model X? I like the look and the weight of the wheels and my Goodyears have some only a little tread left. Any suggestions? I want to not that I'll be adding MSDS headers (alrready bought), with true duals and a new intake in the near future, on top of the mods in my signature. Maybe an LSD, clutch and flywheel next year.
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/05/03 02:53 AM
I will running Toyo Proxes T1S (from my Centerlines, only 900 miles or so), as they are a tire that I have used before. The Toyo's are also the spec tire for the Speed Cup Touring Cars. They come with a higher than average price, but well worth the $$$$. Alternatively you may try the Kumho Escta MX series tires. Your tire choice is pretty broad if you so choose a 17" wheel.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/05/03 02:05 PM
I will running Toyo Proxes T1S (from my Centerlines, only 900 miles or so), as they are a tire that I have used before. The Toyo's are also the spec tire for the Speed Cup Touring Cars. They come with a higher than average price, but well worth the $$$$. Alternatively you may try the Kumho Escta MX series tires. Your tire choice is pretty broad if you so choose a 17" wheel.

Wait a go, Chris! Good choice. I run those exact tires on both my Contour and Cobra. I actually have to try to spin the wheels on my Cobra. It just did double duty (two people driving it) for two days on Mid-Ohio in the rain and they performed GREAT! Thumbs up!!
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/05/03 10:09 PM
Thanks John. I like the grip of the T1S tires.

UPDATE: My wheels are here and are going to be installed tomorrow morning.

I haven't received my hub rings yet, but that's a minor inconvenience. I'll put them on once I get them.

I also took the time to test fit the REV wheels. I still have to use the wheel spacers on the front, but in doing so I insure that there is enough clearance with the outboard side of the Wilwood calipers. Actually, with the curve of the spokes, the issue is with the cast area around the pistons, closer to the center of the wheel, as compared to the Centerlines and the Konigs where it was the cast area at the outside rotor edge. I'll take some pics tomorrow, once the wheels are installed.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/05/03 10:31 PM
I'll take some pics tomorrow, once the wheels are installed.

We're holding you to that!
Posted By: 97CS Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/05/03 11:34 PM

Wait a go

?????????????? Mayhaps...way to go?
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/05/03 11:52 PM
Originally posted by 97CS:

Wait a go

?????????????? Mayhaps...way to go?

OMG, I don't think I've EVER f'd up the English language like that, what's wrong with me? Good catch! I must be severely sleep deprived or something...
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/05/03 11:58 PM
Heh, what you meant to say was understood.
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/06/03 03:54 AM
Heh, what you meant to say was understood.

Yeah. I just laughed, but I knew what you were trying to say. Even though I had to read it twice .
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/06/03 02:59 PM
As promised, here are some pics of the wheels installed. I will be taking some full vehicle pictures, once the direct sun starts to go down this evening.

One thing to note. Rev wheels are not as deep (thickness) at the centre of the wheel (mounting area), as with the stock wheels or even the Centerlines. This allows for the deeper curve in the spokes. The problem is that on the rear hubs, the bearing caps protrude into the wheel. The centre (front face, where centre cap mounts) of the REV wheel is smaller than the diameter of the hub centre and doesn't allow the wheel to sit flush with the rotor face. I had to take one 2mm wheel spacer from each front wheel and use them on the rear. That's all it takes, 2mm and then the wheels are fine on the rear. It's was a small set back, but very important if you are buying these wheels for a Contour/Cougar. In a pinch, you could remove the bearing covers for a short (really short) drive just to get yourself home. We need bearing caps that don't protrude out They need to be flush with the outside of the hub centre. The rear wheel nut is inset so clearance to the axle and nut is not a problem. The front is fine, because there are no bearing caps, just the axle and axle nuts.

Posted By: 95tour Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/06/03 03:08 PM
I love the looks of your wheels what size are your tires? do you have good side wall high?
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/06/03 03:21 PM
Originally posted by 95tour:
I love the looks of your wheels what size are your tires? do you have good side wall high?

Thanks. I am running 215/45/R17 Toyo Proxes T1S Z rated tires.
Posted By: 95tour Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/06/03 03:32 PM
Good side wall high? i would like to run 17" tough decision. Between "16 or"17. Right now i have "14
Posted By: NewPowerRadio Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/06/03 05:20 PM
Looks good.
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/06/03 05:21 PM
Good side wall high? i would like to run 17" tough decision. Between "16 or"17. Right now i have "14

Not sure what you are asking, but if you mean if there is a tall enough side wall, yes there is. Ride is obviously going to be firmer than on your 14's but there is enough to protect against most pot holes.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/06/03 05:31 PM
Looks good, Chris. You've got some funky lug nuts there. Can't wait for the sun to go down.
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/06/03 05:53 PM
Thanks Derek. Those would be basic tuner lugs (and key), but I will change them over to special tuner lugs. I would like to get ones that have a special key to remove, like with lock nuts.

The reason for the tuner lugs, is the 4x108mm bolt pattern is the secondary pattern on this wheel. 4x100mm is that primary pattern and can accept either standard lugs or tuner lugs. The 4x108mm pattern has a narrow opening only allowing for tuner lugs.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/06/03 06:43 PM

Go with 17's, you won't regret it. I drive in a horrible area for roads and I have the SVT (heavier than regular ones) and it's just fine with Eibach's and BAT struts.

Chris, those look great. I might be considering them next year.
And those Wilwoods are BOSS!! I may be doing that, not sure yet. Did it increase the rear rotor size? Wait, the pics right here.

EDIT: Yes, they are DEFINITELY bigger.
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/06/03 07:28 PM
John, those are 11.75" rears.

They look small compare to the 13" fronts.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/06/03 08:01 PM
That's f'n sweet. I may have to hit you up for those some time next year when I get SERIOUS with my track time.
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/06/03 08:58 PM
One recommendation, go with the thicker rotors. Mine are 0.81", I would say to go with the 1" thick rotors. You will see more resistance to brake fade, and won't necessarily need 13" diameter rotors.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/06/03 09:05 PM
Oh I need the thirteens. I usually run with the Porsche group.
But I see what you mean on the thickness.
Did I tell you those look nice?
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/06/03 09:29 PM
I hear you, and they do definitely look good.
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/07/03 12:01 AM
Go here for some pics, as promised.

Rev Wheel Pics

More over here.
Posted By: 95tour Re: RAGE Breaker wheels - 09/08/03 05:47 AM
© CEG Archives