Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BBorges_dup1 New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/08/03 09:18 PM
Ok.. I just put my rims with 4 brand new Kumhos 712. The guy did balanced all 4 and put them on.

When I go around 60-70mph the cr shakes like HELL. And I didn't have this problem with my stock rims...

I know the Kumhos are a little nosy... but if they were balanced correctly they shouldn't vibrate, should they ??

I called up the tires supplier, I'll bring the car saturday so that he's gonna re-check the balancing.

I was just afraid it could be something else,... but it wouldn't make any sense.. would it ?? I mean, I am only having the vibrations since I put the new rims on. It could not possibly be something else, right ???

And yeah.. I know, they are cheap tires.... but they should behave at higher speeds, shouldn't they ?
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/08/03 10:53 PM
Did you use hub-centric ring in the center of the wheels? It is a ring about the size of an average onion ring that fits in the wheels to make them fit more snug on the hub. I'm sure someone can explain their purpose better than I can, but I know they helpe reduce vibrations.

Did they balance the wheels with stick on weights? On the inside of the wheel? There is always a possibility they weren't balanced correctly, but my guess is the hub-centic rings will fix it.

Good luck!
Posted By: R_G Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/08/03 10:56 PM
Originally posted by BBorges:
When I go around 60-70mph the cr shakes like HELL.

what xactly vibrates? if the steering wheel is where ya feel da vibration - it's 100% - a f***ed up balance job
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/09/03 01:42 AM
Get them re-balanced. Make sure they used the hubcentric rings, though. Happened to me when I got my Enkei's and then again with the Rota's. When I returned, I let them know the set up wasn't balanced properly, so they made sure they did it right the second time.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/09/03 01:56 AM
Hubcentric rings? What? I've experienced the exact same scenario. Got the wheels rebalanced and it's better, but not perfect. Hmmm...where would one locate some hubcentric rings?
Posted By: IonNinja Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/09/03 03:21 AM
I don't know about you, but the 711's are good on my car

no shaking, not noisy...can't even tell if I have 17s or if I still have 14s
Posted By: BBorges_dup1 Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/09/03 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Eric L:
Did you use hub-centric ring in the center of the wheels?

$HIT !!

You guys are completly right.

When I bought the rims last fall it came with the "onion rings" and I made sure they were properly installed...

This time I was in a hurry and I didn't even noticed that...

$hit... what if it is missing one onion ring and I have to buy it ?? Could I find that for sale that would fit perfectly my Rage 5.0 ???

I hope that is it...

Thanks
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/09/03 02:21 PM
Make sure the rotor retaining nuts are removed. (Those little flat discs over two of the lugs at each wheel. Take them off. They served a purpose during initial factory assembly, but are no longer needed.)
Posted By: xdouble_dup1 Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/10/03 12:27 AM
Originally posted by RogerB:
Make sure the rotor retaining nuts are removed. (Those little flat discs over two of the lugs at each wheel. Take them off. They served a purpose during initial factory assembly, but are no longer needed.)

I agree. When I got new wheels, I didn't take the rotor retainers off and had a vibration like you; started around 60-70 mph. I had the hubcentric rings installed at the time too. After removing the retainers, the vibration was gone.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/11/03 12:48 AM
so u guys r saying to remove those little rings that r up against the rotors? and the hub centric rings r supposed to come w/ the wheels. i bought axis neos that i haven't installed yet. so they should have little rings on the back of them?
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/11/03 05:49 AM
I have never heard of removing the rotor retaining nuts, I have had no problems with mine adn didn't take them off.

The hub-centric rings should come with the wheels. If you have lost them or didn't get any, you might try contacting the place you bought the wheels from or the manufacturer andd see if they'll send you replacements or if you can buy them, I wouldn't think they' cost too much.
Posted By: unknown_dup1 Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/11/03 01:06 PM
Originally posted by xdouble:
Originally posted by RogerB:

I agree. When I got new wheels, I didn't take the rotor retainers off and had a vibration like you; started around 60-70 mph. I had the hubcentric rings installed at the time too. After removing the retainers, the vibration was gone.

Could someone post a pic of these retainers, I am not sure what you speak of.
Posted By: unknown_dup1 Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/11/03 02:43 PM
Nevermind, I took a look and saw them.
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/11/03 11:57 PM
I forgot about those. With my Enkei's, when I took them back to be rebalanced, they also removed them, so that could have been the problem. My Rota's are hub centric, so no rings were needed. You can try to find out if yours are hubcentric.
Posted By: BBorges_dup1 Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/12/03 01:52 PM
Originally posted by unknown:

Same here !!!!!

regarding the balancing.. I went back to the shop, and the right side rim was 1.25 / -.50 off... he did rebalance it...

I drove saturday the thing seemed to be much better...

Sunday I was driving and I started to feel the vibrations again

I'm gonna check these retainers.. but I have no heck idea what u guys are talking about

Is it something I am supposed to remove ?? If so, how come it is there ??? And if I remove, will I have any kinda problems ?
Posted By: RoadRunner_dup1 Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/12/03 01:58 PM
Ok.. I just put my rims with 4 brand new Kumhos 712. The guy did balanced all 4 and put them on.

This is a problem I see with a LOT of tire places that have Technicians
balance tires who don't know what the F**K they are doing.

If they balanced the tires with the LABELS on them, the labels act like parachutes while the tire is spinning.
The whole thing gets balanced with this, and then they are mounted on the car.
You take out your car and get on the highway.
Once the labels are scrubbed off, the parachute effect goes away and the tires are unbalanced.

If it was done right the first time, you wouldn't be going back.

When you get there, look around to see if anyone is balancing tires.
Look to see if the LABEL is spinning around with the tire.
If see it being done, point it out to the shop manager,
and explain to him that is why you had to come back.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/12/03 05:14 PM
Originally posted by unknown:

Same here !!!!!

I'm gonna check these retainers.. but I have no heck idea what u guys are talking about

Is it something I am supposed to remove ?? If so, how come it is there ??? And if I remove, will I have any kinda problems ?

Take off a wheel. Look at the wheel mounting face. If there is anything around any of your lugs, take it off.

On the factory assembly line, these thin, washer-like things are threaded onto two studs at each wheel, to retain the rotor in position while the car moves down the line to get calipers and wheels put on. They serve no purpose once the car is assembled, and cause no harm because the stock wheels have little cutouts so they'll seet properly against the rotor hat. Nobody notices until they put on aftermarket wheels, which don't have the little cutouts.

Another problem I had once was that the centering rings that came with the wheels didn't seat properly in the wheel's center bore. They would not stay put, so I ended up putting them over the hub, and then mounting the wheel. I doubt they were ever seated properly, and I don't think the vibration ever went away completely. My Tire Rack wheels came with rings that snapped into the center bore and stayed put.

HTH.
Posted By: BBorges_dup1 Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/15/03 12:22 PM
Where are the retainers ????

Here are the pictures of my hubs.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Where are the retainers supposed to be ???

by the way.. do u guys think it is about time to change my rotors ?? It feels kinda of ROUGH when I am braking....
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/15/03 01:30 PM
Nice coating. Is that rust-colored hi-temp? Flat brown cadmium plating? Didn't know that color was offered.

I don't see any retainers, but if the rotors look that bad, I wonder what the hubs look like.

Everything has to be really flat. Microns make a difference. Any imperfection in the hub face, or the rotor hat (where the wheel mounts), has to be removed.

After that, I'm out of ideas.
Posted By: Stazi Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/15/03 02:44 PM
What junkyard was that?

The reatiners if not on the hubs around the wheel pilot, would be in the wheels hubs thenselves. Take pics of the bakside of youwheels for us, and this time, of a vehicle you actually own/drive.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/24/03 03:56 AM
FYI, I just ordered some hubcentric rings for my TSW wheels from Discount Tire. They cost $8 and $5 to ship. If $13 is all it takes to get rid of the shakes, I'm a happy man.
Posted By: BBorges_dup1 Re: New Tires & Rims VIBRATING ???? - 05/27/03 12:48 PM
I had the rings... the problem was something else: the first time they balanced, they used some kind of "Alloy 2" setup, and it should be "Alloy 1". It is ont he balancing machine. It is just a matter of HOW to put the little weights.

Things are working fine again.
© CEG Archives