Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Putz_dup1 any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/06/03 04:15 AM
Any one else using the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712?

I got mine last summer, put about 15,000 km on them and the tread looks as good as new

in the 215 45 17 size.. is there anything else comparable anyone would reccomend?

Im going to assume by the end of summer and another 20,000-30,000 km it will be coming time to replace them over the winter (only 280 UTQG rating)

only thing i see compareable on tirerack is them BF goodrich Scorcher TA with the yellow blue and red speed stripes

the Kumho MX series looks nice, but is only a 220 tread wear rating 115$ US vs the 712's with the 84$ US seems pretty hard to beat... although i think id like to go with something without the square side wall next time
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/06/03 05:35 AM
I have them (14" though). They are some great tires. Handle with the best of them.
Posted By: fst4dr_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/06/03 01:21 PM
If you really want the BFG scorchers, you can get them with the stripe black, so they look normal. I think the 712 is probably a better tire. The Kumho's are not quite grippy enough for me, and didn't really want them (tire store talked me into them, and it was all they had in stock ), so I will be upgrading to something better as soon as these where out...must go do some more burnouts
Posted By: Putz_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/06/03 04:18 PM
lol

well the new MX tire looks nice too, but 220 vs the 712's 280 wear rating doesnt appeal, as i dont do auto x i just drive on the highways to work all the time... and the 712 is a wicked tire in the rain so ive found
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/06/03 08:48 PM
I try to turn every possible 712 customer another way... I hate mine with a passion. Of course I've made this complaint before... search the archives... If I've missed any posts, let me know and I'll go back and add something nasty about them...

I would put Sears 80,000 mile specials on before I purchased another set of 712's... At least I would know what I was getting in the Sears tire... (crap with a good mileage warranty...)
Posted By: Putz_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/06/03 09:31 PM
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/06/03 09:36 PM
I've read alot of bad things about the Khumos, but LoCoZ2.0
(Hector), LoCoChick'95(Heather, and myself all rode on Khumos through some rain storms down south and they gripped pretty well. After reading all of those posts about not gripping at all in the rain I was kinda nervous, but I was really impresed with my Ecsta 712's.
Posted By: offroadSVT Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/06/03 10:17 PM
I don't have more than 500 miles on mine but I LOVE them. Not complaints at all
Posted By: Putz_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/06/03 10:56 PM
oops hit enter twice

see below
Posted By: Putz_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/06/03 10:57 PM
cant be beaten for the price

can buy 2 full sets and a spare for the price of a large company set of 4 tires of a similar profile

unless your in auto x i cant see any reason to stay away from the 712's myself

and the rain driving is amazing for sure
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/07/03 02:01 AM
Originally posted by bk4293:
I've read alot of bad things about the Khumos, but LoCoZ2.0
(Hector), LoCoChick'95(Heather, and myself all rode on Khumos through some rain storms down south and they gripped pretty well. After reading all of those posts about not gripping at all in the rain I was kinda nervous, but I was really impresed with my Ecsta 712's.

Yep. Luke at Tirerack recommended them to me over 5 other tires I was considering (mostly rain slicked streets were my concern). I really like them. I haven't any problems with the grip and they are really quiet (at least so far--but I've had them for 6k). He did say they weren't good for snow, but then I wasn't worried about that earlier this year.
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/07/03 05:48 AM
I went from Bridgestone S02's to the Kumho 712's (225/40-18's), primarily due to cost and the fact I needed tires immediately, and I was surprised at how well they handled when compared to my old S02's (I wasn't expecting them to work well at all!). My S02's lasted about 25K miles with a lot of commuting on them. My 712's lasted 35K with a lot more spirited driving (a 3.0 will encourage more agressive driving...LOL.). I was thinking about getting them again, but I went back to the S02's for now. I may try the MX's next time....
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/07/03 01:14 PM
Originally posted by dion:
I went from Bridgestone S02's to the Kumho 712's (225/40-18's), primarily due to cost and the fact I needed tires immediately, and I was surprised at how well they handled when compared to my old S02's (I wasn't expecting them to work well at all!).

I think that should pretty much answer it when someone can compare the 712's to S-02's! I LOVED my 712's and was po'd when they didn't have them in stock and I needed tires NOW.
Of course now I have T1S's but they're twice the price so it's a toss up there...
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/07/03 03:37 PM
I went from Bridgestone RE 730 225/50/15 tires on stock rims to the 235/40/17's on Superior Scoundrels. The 15's gripped better in straight line and had less scrub on corner entrance. About the only thing the 712's do well is wear (pisses me off because I can't justify replacing them yet) and go through rain (HUGE center channel, I'd rather it be filled with rubber!). They also feature a rim protection bead <--- outstanding for a cheap tire. Outside that, they do hold air I guess...

I don't autocross, I don't drag race, but I do like my tight entrance and exit ramps!

Other tires I would pick over the 712's...

Yoko AVS Sport
Bridgestone Potenza RE 750
Dunlop SP Sport FM901
Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus
Pirelli P7000 SUPERSPORT

I'd even spend over twice the price and get the S03 PP Perrelli...
Posted By: Putz_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/07/03 05:04 PM
has to be more than one person that hates them lol

but yeah they wear well, i drive mine hard around corners and they hold up well and havent worn much at all
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/07/03 05:35 PM
Any tire that leaves only clean spots when smoking, instead of thick black patches, doesn't deserve to be on a performance sedan. If anyone thinks they have enough straight line traction, you're underpowered, and I feel sorry for you.

There are more that hate them, but to many people that have them are comparing them against other cheap tires. To other cheap tires, they fare fairly well unless you know what you're looking for. Look for something on special or on closeout instead. You'll get a much better tire. Even spending only $20-$30 more per tire is worth the extra value you'll get.
Posted By: Putz_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/07/03 06:11 PM
hehe no black patch here, or anything, cant even make them squak with a fuggin ATX

oh well, corners nice, highways are nice, and rain driving is a blast
Posted By: offroadSVT Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/07/03 07:00 PM
Originally posted by bnoon:
If anyone thinks they have enough straight line traction, you're underpowered, and I feel sorry for you.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there
I have the same tires also. I was and still am impressed by them. There a great tire.
Posted By: Krafty_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/07/03 10:07 PM
Originally posted by offroadSVT:
Originally posted by bnoon:
If anyone thinks they have enough straight line traction, you're underpowered, and I feel sorry for you.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there

And I'm going to have to disagree with you

I'm with Brad on this topic 100%. 712's are nowhere near the level of a performance tire IMHO. The reason they last so damn long is because they might as well be made out of plastic! With my puny, underpowered SVT (mainly stock) I have problems with traction in both straightline and cornering techniques. I've put a ton of miles on these tires, driving them as hard as my stock diff will let me and they still have way too much tread left for the abuse they have taken. Not to mention the negative camber with my Koni's and GC's

Also, their wet handling is awful in comparison with other tires I have used. Just today our horribly wet and gloomy day made for a perfect example. On a road that was just wet, not soaked or flooded, my ABS kicked on during a just above average pressure braking situation. This is slowing down for a 20 mph corner while doing 35mph. I'm sorry, but this is way too scary for me, considering I wasn't even driving aggressively.
Posted By: Putz_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/08/03 01:05 AM
Wonder what is different from your tires and everone elses

ive found them to have a ton of traction in corners and in the rain

you using Z rated? cuz mine are pretty soft rubber
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: any Kumho Ecsta 712 Supra users? - 05/08/03 12:44 PM
Well, of course I have 20-30 more pound feet of torque than stock SVTs do, but the tires just start spinning any time in first and second gear when I stab the gas (not dropping the clutch or power shifting either). My Firestone Winterfires in 205/60/15 had better straight line traction.

About the only thing I can commend the 712's for is wear (not a performance item) and resistance to hydroplane.
© CEG Archives