Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BaggedContour 18x8.5 wheels - 06/14/06 06:07 PM
Hi,

I want to know if anybody know if 18x8.5 wheels would fit on a Contour or if it's too wide ???
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/14/06 06:13 PM
Search?
Posted By: BaggedContour Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/14/06 06:16 PM
yeah I search a bit on cardomain.com but the people doesn't say how wide their wheels are ....they only say the diameter of their wheels and the brand....

thanks
Posted By: Beans_dup1 Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/14/06 06:21 PM
I saw someone with 20's on a svt on cardomain i think its stupid... 17's should be the limit on a svt
Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/14/06 06:34 PM
personally i remember the dude from florida had 20's and they looked fine to me.. the car has large wheel wells so it can accept larger wheels. I have 18's and ppl ask me if they are 16s
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/14/06 08:01 PM
Originally posted by BaggedContour:
yeah I search a bit on cardomain.com but the people doesn't say how wide their wheels are ....they only say the diameter of their wheels and the brand....

thanks

Because Cardomain is a huge mound of Contour related information....

SEARCH CEG
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/15/06 06:24 AM
8.5" is gonna be too wide as the offset gets rel tricky and rubbing may/will occur.

8" is pretty much the max.

The people rolloing the deep dish Axis 19" wheels would be the best to answer this question as they may be running a 8.5" wheel but I think 8" is max on a Contour.

Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/15/06 07:00 AM
the axis wheels are all 19x8 that i've seen on contours. the 20s where 20x7 so thats why they fit. 8.5 is probably pushing it (you'd probably have to order custom build wheels with the perfect offset for it to work). of course do a custom wide body then 8.5 might be better suited
Posted By: BaggedContour Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/15/06 01:22 PM
ok thanks guys....it's because I saw wheels who's so sick but they are 18x8.5....damn i'm gonna search for another model....

thanks
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/16/06 12:01 AM
and they come in 4x108? out of curiosity what r they?
Posted By: Aspire Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/16/06 05:44 PM
How about these. They have an offset that will allow them to fit on the inside but you will probably have to crazy with the fender rolling.

Keskin cup style wheels

They also have other wheels available in 4X108
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/16/06 07:21 PM
I can tell you right now that 8.5" wide wheels will give you some trouble. My 19x8 Axis wheels do hit the fender in the rear ever so slightly. They are pretty much as close to the strut as you can make them too. You might be able to make them work with some serious fender cutting and a few more mill's closer to the strut. I think you might have to run some pretty small tires though just to clear them though.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/18/06 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Aspire:
How about these. They have an offset that will allow them to fit on the inside but you will probably have to crazy with the fender rolling.

Keskin cup style wheels

They also have other wheels available in 4X108

some of those r pretty nice. but the offset is too damn low. thats the look that euros like. wide and stretch the hell out of the tire. the backside of the wheel would have to be milled away to raise the offset on those. the kt4 is really sweet
Posted By: BaggedContour Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/20/06 06:27 PM
thank you for the advices...I'll continue my search. But i search more for �­luxury wheels....and the one I fund was the Zenetti Flow in black....you can see them on the middle of this page: http://www.pdkwheels.com/zenetti.html

so thank you anyway
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/20/06 09:50 PM
Nice wheels, I'm interested to see what they look like on the car .

Aaron
Posted By: NVMYSVT Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/20/06 10:44 PM
I think the offset is the most important factor -- I'm rollin 18x7.5's (45mm offset and 225/40/18 tires) on one of the CSVT's with zero rubbing and had to buy some H&R spacers to get my 19x8's (40mm offset with 235/35/19 tires)to clear the struts and whatnot when turning on the Cougar.. I'm going to attempt to mount them onto my CSVT one day when I get bored, but I anticipate that I will rub as well without a spacer.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/22/06 05:55 AM
Originally posted by NVMYSVT:
I think the offset is the most important factor -- I'm rollin 18x7.5's (45mm offset and 225/40/18 tires) on one of the CSVT's with zero rubbing and had to buy some H&R spacers to get my 19x8's (40mm offset with 235/35/19 tires)to clear the struts and whatnot when turning on the Cougar.. I'm going to attempt to mount them onto my CSVT one day when I get bored, but I anticipate that I will rub as well without a spacer.

thats good to know. i'm looking at a wheel now 18x7.5 42et and i want 225/40. some guys with this wheel brand have rubbed occasionally. maybe having a shop mill the wheel to a 45et would get rid of the rub. but i'll drive on them first and look for rubbing.

nv, so does the cougar rub on the fenders? 8" wide 40et with spacers is basically lowering the offset. 5mm spacers and the wheel effectively has a 35et. just on paper if i was shopping for an 8" 35et i'd expect it to rub like crazy on the fender side. with a 19" i wouldnt want to run less than 235/35, which you r.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/22/06 05:57 AM
Originally posted by BaggedContour:
thank you for the advices...I'll continue my search. But i search more for �­luxury wheels....and the one I fund was the Zenetti Flow in black....you can see them on the middle of this page: http://www.pdkwheels.com/zenetti.html

so thank you anyway

check out kmc wheels. i've seen a few different kmc models on tours and they do some blingy wheels (what people call luxury)
Posted By: NVMYSVT Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/22/06 09:18 PM
Originally posted by hmouta:
Originally posted by NVMYSVT:

thats good to know. i'm looking at a wheel now 18x7.5 42et and i want 225/40. some guys with this wheel brand have rubbed occasionally. maybe having a shop mill the wheel to a 45et would get rid of the rub. but i'll drive on them first and look for rubbing.

nv, so does the cougar rub on the fenders? 8" wide 40et with spacers is basically lowering the offset. 5mm spacers and the wheel effectively has a 35et. just on paper if i was shopping for an 8" 35et i'd expect it to rub like crazy on the fender side. with a 19" i wouldnt want to run less than 235/35, which you r.

for the CSVT with the 18's I also want to note that I did take a hammer and pound the hell outta that rear lip thingy that sticks out.. Zero rubbing and I'm also runnin GC's and ST200 struts. I was really worried and did alot of homework before.. I kept seeing everyone rubbing so you have no clue as to how damned happy I was when I installed and drove around -- Ive currently gotten about 2000 miles on them without any problems.

As far as the Coug I'm not 100% sure that I can be a good reference as we made custom 1 off flares and I got the wheels and the spacers to fill the flares intentionally. Unfortunately when I did install when received (did not have the spacers at the time) I basically burned a channel into my brand new sponsored KDW's from the D ring on the CG's... there is only a few mm's of clearance with the strut and the tire -- I opted to go 15mm spacers in front and 30mm spacers in back -- I still rub a bit when I hit a bumpy patch of road and cannot slam the car due to being wider than my clearance and have already cracked 2 rear flares when the tires smacked up and made contact with the fender.. same with rubbing -- however I don't really rub on the struts anymore with the spacers.

I hope I answered your questions completely, if not let me know and I'll give it a go again
Posted By: BaggedContour Re: 18x8.5 wheels - 06/28/06 12:50 AM
yeah it's in the brands that I was looking for too.....thanks!
© CEG Archives