Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/20/06 12:38 PM
Looking for new summers, and it is down to the Kumho 712s, Ecsta SPTs, the Falken 451s, or the Falken 512s.

Any thoughts on these tires? I had the Kumhos and I liked them, but can get the Falkens more easily. I have read reviews all over the web, and it's becoming paralysis by analysis. Anyone got any experience with the Falkens?
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/20/06 12:57 PM
Which Kuhmos did you have? The Falken ZE512 is a very sporty all-season for cheap, but it's not near as sticky as the 712 or it's replacement, the SPT. I'd check prices between tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com and go with the SPT or GR-Beta. They are pretty comparable, from what I've heard, although the Falken seems to be the better tire - but I haven't driven the new Kumho, personally. Remember to include shipping at tirerack: it's free at DTD.

In any case, just make a decision and order. Both the SPT and GR-Beta seem to be leaving a trail of happy customers, and they're cheap. I think this is a win-win.
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/20/06 02:00 PM
I had the W-rated 712s, which I liked for a few factors (grip, resistance to hydroplaning, price). They are, however now quite bald, and I am looking for a replacement.

Discount and Tire Rack won't be the best for me as I am in Canada, but tiretrend.ca carries them.

I'll check on the GR-Beta. I didn't see it on the tiretrend site, and it's getting time to pull the snows, so I may have to go with the Kumhos anyway.

EDIT: OOPs didn't realise that the GRs are the 451s......
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/20/06 04:13 PM
The khumo 712 is the worst tire i ever owned in my life!!!!

hydroplaned like crazy didn't grip enough, all around sucked!

Now my Rt-215's have insane grip but are deadly scary in the wet
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/20/06 04:17 PM
The 712 was the best grip for the money when it came out. It was not a very good tire, but it was very sticky for the price. Of course the 215 is better, it costs almost twice as much!
Posted By: weargle Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/20/06 04:20 PM
If I had to do it again, I would have gotten the FK-451s instead of the ZE-512s. The 512s sing too much and aren't grippy at all.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/20/06 04:44 PM
The ZE512 is very grippy for an economy all-season, IMO. I got them for $43 each, shipped, in 195/60R15. That's a heck of a deal! But, of course, they're not even close to the grip level of a summer tire like the GR Beta FK-451 (what a name for a tire ) or SPT. You get what you pay for, in this case.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/20/06 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Decepticon:

I've yet to experience any wet or hydroplaning issues with the 215s.

And just to be clear, they have excellent traction on wet surfaces, but are not as good at resisting hydroplaning as some other tires.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/20/06 04:59 PM
Originally posted by weargle:
The 512s sing too much

This is the first real mention I've noticed in performance tire discussions about noise level. I know that the off-brand all-seasons I have on my car are LOUD on the highway. But so were the crappy Firehawks that came on the car.

So, how do these tires you're discussing here compare regarding road noise?

I've always had all-seasons, but I'm thinking of going to summer/winter combos now that I have a parts car with wheels I can use.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/20/06 06:09 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:

And just to be clear, they have excellent traction on wet surfaces, but are not as good at resisting hydroplaning as some other tires.

Really???

Maybe it was just that day, There was a assload of standing water soo that could have been teh prob. But turning the car would want to lose traction very easily
Posted By: Big_B Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/20/06 08:40 PM
Kumho 712 was without a doubt the worst tire I have ever owned in my life. Any bumps in the road while cornering will send you flying. The sidewall flexes like crazy. Forget traction in the rain.

Have BFG KDW2's right now and couldn't be happier. Appearance and wet/dry performance are top notch.
Posted By: gotapex Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/20/06 09:19 PM

Really???

Maybe it was just that day, There was a assload of standing water soo that could have been teh prob. But turning the car would want to lose traction very easily

They're great in the wet, but bad in standing or deep running water.
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/20/06 09:39 PM
Well, I have made up my mind on the 451s. I loved my Kumhos, but want something a smidge newer in design.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/20/06 09:39 PM
I have the 712's and besides rubbing (225's) I like them, dispite what steeda and y2k will say
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/21/06 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
but want something a smidge newer in design.

The SPT is brand new...

But I personally would go with the Falkens. There are rumors that they are a dual-compound tire, with very sticky stuff underneath. I've only driven one car with them, very briefly, but I found no faults. The owner autocrosses and DD them and likes them quite a bit. Plus, they look really cool.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/21/06 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
I have the 712's and besides rubbing (225's) I like them, dispite what steeda and y2k will say

Worst tire ever. ever. ever. EVER! I think driving around on wheels with no tires would give better traction, and a softer ride.

Anyway, Falken ZE512's hands down. They're comparably soft to the 60 treadware race tires I have right now.

Mark
Posted By: weargle Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/21/06 02:37 AM
Color me a contarian, but I liked the 712s. The worst tire ever is the Visa (Falken's discount brand). Trust me, the PO shod my Miata with them, and they're terrible.
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/21/06 12:14 PM
I liked the 712s. Good grip, great in wet. And inexpensive.

That said, I ordered the Falken 451s. I don't need an all season because I use snow tires in the winter. Figured I'd give a new tire a shot.

And, unlike the Kumhos, I can get them easily locally. They are being ordered, and should be on the car next Thursday.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/21/06 05:07 PM

...There was a assload of standing water soo that could have been teh prob.

Well, I don't drive fast when it's raining, but I tend to follow the posted speed limit and I haven't had any issues up to around 60 mph.

When I autocrossed in the rain, I finished my runs before the puddles got real deep. Later heats started having problems, but when I ran it was just a wet surface.

Most reviewers note the awesome traction in both wet and dry, but also note that they are not as good at evacuating standing water because of the (now discontinued) tread pattern.

I'm not saying there isn't an issue. I'm just saying that even though I've been wary of it, I haven't experienced it.

There. Perhaps now I've properly qualified my statements.

Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/21/06 10:27 PM
I have the 712s now. They grip, good in rain......road noise is a little high but I really don't care.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/21/06 11:32 PM
Your opinion isn't as relevant!

You have AWD which will make even poor tires run good in bad weather.

I have AWD Volvo shod in michelin Pilots (OEM) and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the handling and traction in wet, dry, and dirt roads.
I wouldn't say they'd be great on a 2 wheel drive vehicle though.
Posted By: Christian_dup1 Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/22/06 05:06 AM
I have the Michelin Pilot sport, not sure if it's the same as yours, but they are decent enough. Nothing more than I would expect, but grippy and able to handle well. Dirt roads though, forget it in a FWD application on these!

For wet weather I am happy with the Michelin HyrdroEdge, I put them on my wife's car as she could spin a shopping cart in a parking lot!!! Very nice, although those new GY'rs are sounding quite tempting as a replacement.

On the plus side to both sets of Michelins, tire wear is nice, handling is nice (comparatively) comfort and sound is good too.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Thoughts on Kumhos vs Falkens - 04/22/06 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Christian:
I have the Michelin Pilot sport, not sure if it's the same as yours, but they are decent enough. Nothing more than I would expect, but grippy and able to handle well. Dirt roads though, forget it in a FWD application on these!

For wet weather I am happy with the Michelin HyrdroEdge, I put them on my wife's car as she could spin a shopping cart in a parking lot!!! Very nice, although those new GY'rs are sounding quite tempting as a replacement.

On the plus side to both sets of Michelins, tire wear is nice, handling is nice (comparatively) comfort and sound is good too.

Yeah, the michelins I have are wearing nice and still quite grippy. I've had the car a year.

On a side note, I was traveling down a dirt road two days ago and I was "testing" the limits of the handling on this car. I was tossing the car side to side at like 40 mph and it stayed balanced and in traction. I did full throttle takeoffs from a stop with the turbo singing, downshifting into second at about 40 and accelerating up to about 55mph, and the car NEVER slid or lost any kind of traction. It threw some serious rockage out behind me though!
So as I got more confident I kept tossing it around to the point where I deemed that any more overhandling would be plain foolish and went back down to a more comfortable 25mph. Oh, I also slammed on the brakes with a slight turn to the wheel from about 40 mph and she stopped quickly and straight with only a little bit of ABS action.
IT WAS AWESOME!! All I can say is that Haldex AWD system on this car is so far prefectly calibrated for any kind of driving and even these somewhat average all season versions of the Michelin Pilot series (non directional tread) handled all those environments perfectly.
Try that stuff in just a FWD car (and probably even RWD) and you'll be in the ditch at the least, dead at the worst. I know because in AZ I used to screw around on some desert dirt roads just to learn how to handle better on that kind of road and it took far less to end up against the dirt berm on the side of the road.

I'm so friggin stoked about about it, and I'm starting to become a Volvo fan more and more every day the more I start to really drive this car. The build quality on top of all the good driving and safety....it almost has it all.
© CEG Archives