Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Which tires? - 03/04/06 07:19 AM
Its that time of the year again, time for new tires. 215/45/17s would be the size I'm looking for because I'm not sure if 225s will fit but I might end up giving them a quick try anyway. So far I have it narrowed down to these, feel free to add one that you thought was kickass

BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW NT
225/45R-17 90Y B, $133
Treadwear: 300
Traction: A
Temperature: A
Speed Rating: ZR

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
215/45ZR-17 87W VSB, $159
Treadwear: 280

Nitto NT NeoGen ZR
215/45ZR-17 91W BLK, $107

Yokohama AVS ES100
215/45ZR-17 87W BSW, $117.00
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Which tires? - 03/04/06 01:45 PM
eagle F1's won top place in a car and driver review of 11 top tires a month or so ago.

I found the ES100's, while I really liked them, wore too fast.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Which tires? - 03/04/06 04:49 PM
I like the G-forces.
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Which tires? - 03/04/06 05:09 PM
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
eagle F1's won top place in a car and driver review of 11 top tires a month or so ago.

I read that issue, thats why I'm considering them. I just don't know if anybody has had any experience with them
Posted By: Blue Goose Re: Which tires? - 03/04/06 07:40 PM
I, too have been looking at tires recently and from the tires that you mentioned, after all the research that I did I would go with the Eagle F1, hands down. But an opinion from someone who has them on their car would be best.
Posted By: 2.3Turbochicken Re: Which tires? - 03/05/06 04:55 AM
g-force kdw nt will perform great wear fast and become noisey very fast. take a peak at the g-force sports. they seem to be wearing better for people while still offering a half quiet tread. prolly a little less expensive too. btw I'm an NTB employee, not just ranting randomly
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Which tires? - 03/05/06 05:44 AM
Father and I put Eagle f1's on the Audi. The stick and stick and stick, then they stick some more. I love those tires

If you have the means, I highly suggest it.
Posted By: gotapex Re: Which tires? - 03/06/06 06:59 AM
What are you trying to accomplish with the tires? Best dry weather grip? Best life? Good wet performance?

The Goodyears are probably the best all around tire. The KDW will give you slightly better wet performance, but much worse dry.
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Which tires? - 03/06/06 07:18 AM
Originally posted by gotapex:
What are you trying to accomplish with the tires? Best dry weather grip? Best life? Good wet performance?

The Goodyears are probably the best all around tire. The KDW will give you slightly better wet performance, but much worse dry.

I really don't give a [censored] when its wet, I won't be pushing my car to the limits then, I really want the best dry performance that won't wear down too fast.
Posted By: gotapex Re: Which tires? - 03/06/06 08:02 AM
Originally posted by 00_HO_Contour:
Originally posted by gotapex:

I really don't give a [censored] when its wet, I won't be pushing my car to the limits then, I really want the best dry performance that won't wear down too fast.

Sounds like a plan. The Goodyears are the best dry tires of those you've posted. Tire life seems very reasonable as well. You'll probably lose a lot of life to tread squirm if you do any heavy tracking, but for street use, they're great tires.

Also, you'll notice some tramlining on the freeway with them. It shouldn't be bad with relatively thin tires like that, but it's something to consider.
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Which tires? - 03/06/06 06:49 PM
Just got back from discount tire and he preferred the yokohamas over the goodyears. Opinions?
Posted By: csvtjohnga Re: Which tires? - 03/06/06 08:38 PM
eagle f1s

Posted By: gotapex Re: Which tires? - 03/06/06 10:44 PM
Originally posted by 00_HO_Contour:
Just got back from discount tire and he preferred the yokohamas over the goodyears. Opinions?

The AVS ES100 are nowhere near as grippy as the Goodyear F1, and are much louder to boot.

Now if we're talking the Yokohama Advan Neova AD07, that's a different story. The AD07 are great. Much stiffer sidewalls than the F1, much better feel, better dry grip, way worse wet grip, and a bit scary at the limit.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Which tires? - 03/07/06 01:24 AM
The Eagle F1s are a great all around tire. Personally, I wouldn't get them unless I was getting a really good deal. I'd rather get cheaper tires that are maybe not as good all around but better dry. Such as falken azenis, etc. They're plenty good enough in the rain (who pushes their car when its wet anyways?) and even though they'll wear quicker, they're cheaper. $480 shipped vs. $630 for the Goodyears
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Which tires? - 03/07/06 01:30 AM
Discount tire guys dont know anything about tires! All the ones ive been to know all there is to know about muddin and boggin .

Look to people who have driven the performance tires....
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Which tires? - 03/10/06 06:38 AM
So has anybody had any experience between the goodyears and the yokos?
Posted By: skunk_dup1 Re: Which tires? - 03/11/06 11:37 AM
Check out car and drivers web site and look for the tire test. They tested 10 tires. The goodyear f1 won the test. They used tire rack test site, pretty good article. It is also rated #1 in it's catagory on tire racks web site. I would get them if you can afford it.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Which tires? - 03/12/06 01:35 AM
FYI, the Falken Azenis 615 just dropped in price, and got more sizes available. They're a decent wet tire, and grip better than anything listed here in the dry. If you really want sickeningly grippy streetable tires, they are the hotness.

Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: Which tires? - 03/12/06 03:40 AM
I have Nitto Neo Gens, and I love em...good grip, pretty good in the rain (I'm in Hawaii so I get lots o' Rainy seat time) and way less noisy than the Yoko paradas that they replaced. I've got about 15K on them and they are wearing great with 3k rotations.
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Which tires? - 03/12/06 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Matt R:
I like the G-forces.

me too...

I have the KDW's and am happy so far 225/40-R18. Select and compare the KDW's, F1's and the AVS ES100's on Tire Rack and the KDW's have the best dry traction rating 9.3 and the 2nd best wet tration plus a 300 treadwear vs. 280 on the others. For the money save $50 per tire and forget the F1's if you ask me not worth the difference. If they where all priced the same then it would be a toss-up.
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Which tires? - 03/12/06 06:20 AM
I don't think we'll ever get a true what tire is best. Anyway yesterday I put in an order for a set of 215/45/17 of the goodyear eagles so lets see how they are.
Posted By: morbid Re: Which tires? - 03/12/06 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
FYI, the Falken Azenis 615 just dropped in price, and got more sizes available. They're a decent wet tire, and grip better than anything listed here in the dry. If you really want sickeningly grippy streetable tires, they are the hotness.

sweet! I checked a couple weeks ago and it still said March 2006. I'm glad they didn't push the release date back again. Looking forward to replacing my 205/55-16 Azenis RT-215's with 235/40-17 Azenis RT-615's!

I agree with Auto-X Fil... the RT-615's would be the best bang for the buck. Though, even if they were more expensive, I'd probaby still be getting them.
Posted By: gotapex Re: Which tires? - 03/13/06 05:39 AM
Originally posted by scottd60:
Originally posted by Matt R:
I like the G-forces.

me too...

I have the KDW's and am happy so far 225/40-R18. Select and compare the KDW's, F1's and the AVS ES100's on Tire Rack and the KDW's have the best dry traction rating 9.3 and the 2nd best wet tration plus a 300 treadwear vs. 280 on the others. For the money save $50 per tire and forget the F1's if you ask me not worth the difference. If they where all priced the same then it would be a toss-up.

Unfortunately, that's the completely useless "buyer reviews". It really doesn't tell you anything about the actual tire performance.

The KDW are far inferior to the F1 in the dry. The F1 are almost as grippy as the KD in the dry, with better breakaway characteristics. The KD are way better than the KDW in the dry.
Posted By: guessclassic65 Re: Which tires? - 03/13/06 07:43 AM
Will the 225/40R17's fit w/o rubbing with stock suspension? If so how about 235/40R17's??

Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Which tires? - 03/13/06 08:47 AM
What about the Toyo Proxes 4? Ive been very pleased with mine. Not too expensive either.
Posted By: hsoverma Re: Which tires? - 03/13/06 02:54 PM
00_HO_Contour,

I used to run Yokos AVS's on my Supra when I autocrossed it, and they performed extremely well. I was very happy with them. So much so, I bought them for my SVT after I got rid of the Supra. I ran both the Supra and SVT in SM classes.

I also run my SVT with AVS's primarily for Autocrossing. My SVT mostly stays garaged and is not my daily driver.

I must say I have been dissappointed with the Yokos and the tires on the front wore exceptionally fast. I had to rotate quite frequently. The last race I was in I literally trashed them. It looks like I have slicks on now. Once the tread gets very low, the tires lose a lot of grip (unlike a lot of other high performance dry tires). Last race I was in, the car exhibited a lot of oversteer (more than normal) above 25 MPH, and as a result I performed terrible, even spinning the car out. I guess the AVS does not run as well on front-wheel drive cars.

Next tire is going to be the Azenis RT-615 for sure. From what I have gathered, a great thing about this tire is it's temperature and wear properties. If you autocross or drive hard, get a pyromometer and compare the results of your current tire to the Azenis. You'll see what I mean.. they cool down quick and perform consistently under a broad range of temps. Also, Azenis have been known for performing better the more they wear. They are very popular with Neons, Miatas, Acuras, and WRXs. Almost no one runs Yokos for autocrossing.

Anyways, I would not recommend the Yoko's for our cars. I hope my two cents helps some, and I'm sure someone will disagree... such is life
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Which tires? - 03/13/06 05:37 PM
Originally posted by hsoverma:
Almost no one runs Yokos for autocrossing.

Sure they do. A032s!
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Which tires? - 03/13/06 06:46 PM
And AD07s. The new Advan Neova is probably the best street tire out there. It's like a T1-R in that it's comfortable, hooks up well, works great in the rain, and sticks well. But, it's about as sticky as a 615! Of course, they're pricey, but hey, you get what you pay for.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Which tires? - 03/13/06 07:05 PM
ST-215's going on Asap! 225/45zr17's
Posted By: Rishodi Re: Which tires? - 03/15/06 01:31 AM
You sure all those tires are rated A for traction and not AA?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Which tires? - 03/15/06 03:29 AM
Traction ratings are government standard. I believe just done by braking on a wet asphalt surface. It has almost nothing to do with how 'sticky' a tire is.
© CEG Archives