Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: mystiquevltwin ST200 wheels - 01/19/06 06:00 AM
so about a month ago i bought a set of ST200 wheels off of ebay and im waiting untill spring until i put them on, but in the mean time, ive got to get some rubber for these baby's.

i know pretty much nothing about tires and such....i searched around here and found the tire size that i needed,(225/45/17) and i searched a little more for actual tires people had. i went over to tire rack and found these tires BFGoodrich g-Force Sports and they look like a good tire, for a good price and are what im really looking for. the only concern that i have, is the lip on the wheel...and the tire i guess.

the tire is relativley low prifile and i was just wondering if this tire would work with this wheel.

any suggestions are welcome as to appropriate tires to get, but id like to try and stay in the $80-130 price range

thanks for your help
kevin
Posted By: PEWTNERST24 Re: ST200 wheels - 01/19/06 12:12 PM
When the ST200 was new here in the UK they run 215/45/17 tyres.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: ST200 wheels - 01/20/06 02:15 AM
I have fuzion zris 225/45/17s on st200s.

Any 205-225 (with right aspect ratio) will fit no problems. 225/45 is the most bestest size.
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: ST200 wheels - 01/20/06 02:43 AM
alright...that sounds good, thanks guys

but specifally that tire that i picked out...will that fit, having such a low profile and with the wheel having a lip?
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: ST200 wheels - 01/20/06 03:03 AM
Originally posted by mystiquevltwin:
alright...that sounds good, thanks guys

but specifally that tire that i picked out...will that fit, having such a low profile and with the wheel having a lip?

I have that EXACT wheel tire combo on my car. ST200 wheels & BFG GF Sports in the 225/45-17 size. No rubbing issues at all. The combo is outstanding IMHO. The BFG rubber is well behaved, much more quiet than the KDW-II but less sticky, sidewalls are firm, treadwear appears to be pretty good for a performance tire. All 'round great combo.

Rotate and balance them babies regularly & expect to get at least a few seasons of good enjoyment out of them.
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: ST200 wheels - 01/20/06 03:06 AM
great!....sold!

thanks a lot for the recommendation!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: ST200 wheels - 01/20/06 04:12 AM

As I said, ANY...

The 225/45 profile of one tire is almost exactly the same as another 225/45 tire. It would have to be one messed tire to not be. And the lip doesn't matter. A lotta wheels have a lip, doesn't got a thing to do with nuthin.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: ST200 wheels - 01/22/06 03:39 PM
on a zetec atx i'd say you wouldnt need anything bigger than 215/45
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: ST200 wheels - 01/22/06 04:42 PM
Originally posted by tour96se:

like i said before i dont know much about tires.....but why would the engine/trans matter when buying a tire size?? does it have to go with how fast ill be going or whats the deal?
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: ST200 wheels - 01/22/06 05:33 PM
Originally posted by tour96se:

like i said before i dont know much about tires.....but why would the engine/trans matter when buying a tire size?? does it have to go with how fast ill be going or whats the deal?

tire size has a affect on the auto trannies shift points as well as the final gearing,your tranny is calibrated for a certain diameter wheel,by going to big or to small you can mess things up...i wasnt saying you shouldnt go with 225's for that reason...we had that discusion a couple of weeks ago in another thread ...i was saying that b/c 225 is going to suck up a little of your cars (precious) power..etc,225 would be good for running a modified duratec..turbo'd zetec etc to help with traction on hard launches,or for handling purp. on a roadcourse or autox..but for a everyday driver zetec atx 215 is plenty of tire...my 2 cents
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: ST200 wheels - 01/23/06 02:28 AM
Dude, an auto NA zetec isn't gonna be fast no matter what. It doesn't matter if you put a 175 or a 245 tire on there. So you might as well do what you can with the part of the car's performance that is alright. 225 works great (and anyways 10mm isn't that much, so not even that different from a 215).

Basically, what I'm trying to say is. It doesn't matter. But 225 equals a tiny little bit more traction and IMO a little better look. Noone is gonna autox an auto zetec competively, so who cares about gearing. Though best thing to do with a contour is nothing. No 17"s, no wide tires, no nothing.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: ST200 wheels - 01/23/06 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Basically, what I'm trying to say is. It doesn't matter. But 225 equals a tiny little bit more traction and IMO a little better look. Noone is gonna autox an auto zetec competively, so who cares about gearing. Though best thing to do with a contour is nothing.

Unfortunately, I agree. But those ST200s look HOT on a Contique!

And 225s will be fine. Stock size on Jag X-type, which is the same platform as ours.
© CEG Archives