Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Hydramatic Wheel Stud... - 11/18/05 08:22 PM
OK. Somehow or another, one of my wheel studs's threads have become mangled and my front right wheel is only being held on by three lugnuts. How difficult is it to replace one of these, and if possible some instructions on doing so would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Wheel Stud... - 11/18/05 08:37 PM
I have used a gear puller in the past to remove the studs - it's not a difficult job. Remove the wheel, caliper and rotor. Remove the bad stud, and insert a new one. I used an old lug sitting on a piece of pipe and an impact wrench to pull the new stud in all the way.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Wheel Stud... - 11/18/05 08:39 PM
Is it possible to just hammer out the old stud? Thanks for the info by the way!
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Wheel Stud... - 11/18/05 08:41 PM
You can, but I would advise against using a hammer to remove the stud. By using the hammer you introduce the possibility of wheel bearing damage.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Wheel Stud... - 11/18/05 08:43 PM
What about a deadblow or a rubber mallet? I don't have a gear puller on me. Where can I buy the studs anyway? I never see them out on shelves at autoparts stores...do they keep them behind the counter?
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Wheel Stud... - 11/18/05 08:44 PM
Do not use a hammer - buy a gear puller. NAPA I believe carries the studs - just ask.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Wheel Stud... - 11/18/05 08:46 PM
Ok. No hammer. I'll go check with NAPA. Thanks for the help dude, I appreciate it.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Wheel Stud... - 11/18/05 08:50 PM
Otherwise, use an airhammer on the stud instead, it doesn't hit as hard as a mallet would, yet will shoot out the stud like butta!
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Wheel Stud... - 11/19/05 02:06 AM
About $20 at any tire-shop. Worth the price for the hassle.

Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Wheel Stud... - 11/19/05 03:06 AM

True Dat!
Posted By: svttour_dup1 Re: Wheel Stud... - 11/19/05 03:25 AM
I hit mine out with a hammer I recently had 3 studs break on one wheel and I almsot lost the car completely. Luckily I saved the car and the rim. I think it might not be bent but I have to get it checked out when i balance it since I was doing 65 when they decided to break on me. Luckily I had my SVT parts car in my backyard and had the studs changed in 15 mins. I put an old lug on the stud and gave it a few taps the came out really easily. Since then I havent noticed any noises or anything coming from that side of the car. My steering has some vibrations thats why i question the rim being bent but it really doesnt vibrate all the time. I am going to take my car in for an alignment as soon as I replace my alt under warranty and we will find out the outcome.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Wheel Stud... - 11/19/05 04:49 AM
when i lived in MI, midas installed wheel studs for free.
Posted By: Keith W_dup1 Re: Wheel Stud... - 11/19/05 06:34 AM
I've used a hammer a couple of times on the same wheel to remove studs, no ill affects that I can tell and it has been a while.
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: Wheel Stud... - 11/19/05 02:50 PM
But regardless hammers aren't great ideas because of the shock they produce, i had a wheel bearing failure because someone had whacked on the hub with a hammer.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Wheel Stud... - 11/21/05 01:03 AM
i just hitem with a hammer!
© CEG Archives