Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: liquidX Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/06/05 06:27 PM
It's the "Model 10" from the REV line of wheels. Weighing at a mere 16.3 lbs each. Only available in 17".

Going with the gloss black color since it will make good contrast on both my Frosted Tour and my Titanium Civic (They will be double drilled at 4/100 and 4/108).

I will be using 215/45/17 tires (Brand is still undecided). Will put them on my 02' Civic EX for now, and slap em on the Tour' for the track when the time comes.

XL
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/06/05 06:29 PM
What kind of racing are you doing?
Posted By: mr_froge_dup1 Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/06/05 06:37 PM
It is on the heavy side for a 17" "race" wheel..

Two questions: What is the price? How wide is the rim?

Looks good...
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/06/05 08:11 PM
FWIW: most will refer to it as REV X or model X..

but my ideal wheel, as well.. I love that look.

Ray
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/07/05 03:39 AM
Originally posted by mr_froge:
It is on the heavy side for a 17" "race" wheel..

Two questions: What is the price? How wide is the rim?

For a "race" wheel yes, but that is quite light for most 17" rims.

Now depending on the price it could be well worth it though. If it's priced like a race wheel then it's not. Plus it's heavy.

It is a nice looking rim. Wonder what finish options they have???
same wheel that Y2KSVT is running on his black svt.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/07/05 05:28 AM
damn that car is hot!
Posted By: liquidX Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/07/05 12:49 PM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Wonder what finish options they have???

Gunmetal

Hyperblack

Black

Latest update is that my distributor sold their last black set, and they do not have anything else other than gunmetal in the US . Looks like I am stuck with gunmetal... Seems to be a nice color either way, plus the semi-flat finish gives the car a racier look. Let's hope it works...

XL

Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/07/05 01:58 PM
DONT SETTLE.. GET BLACK ELSEWHERE!!!!

seriously...

Ray
Posted By: liquidX Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/07/05 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Ray:
DONT SETTLE.. GET BLACK ELSEWHERE!!!!

seriously...

Ray

YES! I got my homegirl Christie to list them for me! She always gets me good prices!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7966926989#ebayphotohosting

Now for tires...

XL
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/07/05 02:50 PM
You did notice those rims on Ebay have the wrong bolt pattern right???

~~~

I really liked those rims right up until I saw they were only 7" wide. I still think they look awesome though! (I'd get Gunmetal myself)

However you can't fit a 235/45 tire on it so there would be no point in changing out from my stockers with 225's.

215/45 are smaller. Way too small actually!

225/45 are almost the same tread width. They do have a sidewall advantage though. (4" vs 4.4")

However either size weighs more then a 225/50-16 tire so there goes the weight savings over the 20lb E1's.

{Using the same tire make}

With the Rev X it is ~41 lbs for a 215 package and ~43 lbs for a 225.

E1's with Falken 225's should weigh in at ~42 lbs.

For comparisson my E1's with KDW's weighed in around 46lbs. The brand & design of the tire can make a huge difference.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/07/05 02:59 PM
Yeah, unelss they are just for your Hawnduh...
Posted By: liquidX Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/07/05 04:23 PM
Originally posted by 95Sleeper:
Yeah, unelss they are just for your Hawnduh...

I just verified with her, and she said "my mistake". Getting me the 100/108 double drilled ...
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/07/05 05:30 PM
Originally posted by durateX:
Wonder what finish options they have???

Gunmetal

Hyperblack

Black

Latest update is that (my distributor) sold their last black set, and they do not have anything else other than gunmetal in the US . Looks like I am stuck with gunmetal... Seems to be a nice color either way, plus the semi-flat finish gives the car a racier look. Let's hope it works...

XL

Do you own your own shop?
Posted By: liquidX Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/07/05 06:06 PM
Originally posted by svtProdigy:
Latest update is that (my distributor) sold their last black set, and they do not have anything else other than gunmetal in the US . Looks like I am stuck with gunmetal... Seems to be a nice color either way, plus the semi-flat finish gives the car a racier look. Let's hope it works...

XL

Do you own your own shop?

I wish, I have the habit of saying "distributor" because this retailer sells wholesale to me. (Old high school friends)...

XL
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/07/05 06:17 PM
I really liked those rims right up until I saw they were only 7" wide. I still think they look awesome though! (I'd get Gunmetal myself)

What's wrong with 7" wide? That's still wider than the 6.5" width of the stock E1 wheel.

However you can't fit a 235/45 tire on it so there would be no point in changing out from my stockers with 225's.

Ive got 225/45 on those wheels, as you can see from the picture Jim posted. They fit perfect. I considered a 235/40, but the Dunlop Super Sport Race tires didn't come in that size when I ordered.

However either size weighs more then a 225/50-16 tire so there goes the weight savings over the 20lb E1's.

I think I'll weigh one of my wheel/tires the next time I rotate them. They're pretty much brand new tires so it should be pretty accurate. I would have thought they'd be lighter than the stock E1's with my Falken 225/45's @ 43lbs. each.

Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/07/05 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
1. What's wrong with 7" wide? That's still wider than the 6.5" width of the stock E1 wheel.

2. Ive got 225/45 on those wheels, as you can see from the picture Jim posted. They fit perfect. I considered a 235/40, but the Dunlop Super Sport Race tires didn't come in that size when I ordered.

3. I think I'll weigh one of my wheel/tires the next time I rotate them. They're pretty much brand new tires so it should be pretty accurate. I would have thought they'd be lighter than the stock E1's with my Falken 225/45's @ 43lbs. each.

1. The limitation on the rubber. I can get the same foot print from the stock E1's as from a 17x7" rim.
Also the concentration of weight is further out on the 17" rim meaning even at the same weight it will accelerate slower.
Therefore why spend $1000 on rims & tires for no performance gains or even possibly a loss. I like the looks of the E1's well enough so it's not for aesthetics.

2. Which isn't 235/45's... The reason for me to change to lightweight 17's is to run a wider tire. No reason to run one with the same or smaller foot print.
Like I mentioned earlier the biggest benefit, without getting the larger footprint, would be the same tire diameter and a smaller sidewall. That would be nice but not worth the money itself.

3. Going by the strangely varying weight listing of the E1's (19 to 21lbs) I split the difference. 20lb rim plus a 22lb tire = 42lb estimate.

I know my Nitto 225/50 DR's on E0's weigh in at ~42lbs and the E0's are "suppose" to weigh 1-2lb more then E1's. Nitto lists the DR's at ~22lbs. (They start with 6/32 tread and use a soft compound)
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/07/05 08:39 PM
My opinion, they're too heavy and skinny to be race tires. There was a seriously considerable improvement in my cars ability to go around corners with the 235/40's on there compared to the 215's. If you look around you can still get some wider wheels, it's sooo worth it.
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/08/05 02:50 AM
Here are the Rota's which are 7.5 wearing 235's. Rota offers the same style wheel in the same colors if you can find a set.

Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/08/05 03:55 AM
Originally posted by 1314:
Here are the Rota's which are 7.5 wearing 235's. Rota offers the same style wheel in the same colors if you can find a set.

That's the Rota Attack rim right?

Do those only weight 16.5lbs?

Are they out of production?
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/08/05 04:24 AM
Yes, they're the Attacks and weigh just under 17lbs. I've never weighed them with the 235's on, but I think I will this weekend since I've always been curious about it.

I'm not sure about their current status, but when I bought them, they were ordered as a group buy on FocalJet through a custom order for 4x108. Rota did not actively produce them in our bolt pattern. As a matter of fact, I have 4x100 stamped on the inside of my wheels. People have attempted to get another Group Buy for them, but they have to order in sets of 10, per color, and getting that many committed buyers is tough.

FYI, Suneil had them in the gray color (gunmetal?).
Posted By: liquidX I'm a fuacken rim factory - 04/08/05 05:25 PM
Okay, looks like I am in for a tough spot. Apparently the first guy that I was dealing with told me that the gunmetal color was the only one available in the double drilled with 4/108 pattern, so he took it upon himself to get the set over to his shop . This is okay because I had agreed for him to get either color that would have the Conty's bolt pattern, since I wanted to share rims with both my cars.

The problem now is, that there is no turning back from that deal since he already went out of his way, paid for the rims, and brought them to his shop (I didn't think it would be such a burden and be completely reversible but I guess not). Also, the rims that come in black and hyperblack are only currently available in 4/100 - 4/114.3, meaning that the ones I purchased yesterday are permanent on the Honda .

So bottom line... I got a permanent set of shoes for the Honda and 3 sets of shoes for my Conty: Stock E1, REV Model X Gunmetal 17", and Arospeed RS-GT Hyperblack 19" (on now). The big question is, what to sell, and what to keep!!! I can afford to keep 2 sets, but not 3 !

Can you guys help me decide? The dilema continues...

Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: I'm a fuacken rim factory - 04/08/05 07:39 PM
No brainer. Sell the 19" rims. You should not bought those in the first place.

MNSFHO...
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: I'm a fuacken rim factory - 04/08/05 07:42 PM
Newb , I've got 4 sets for the contour! LOL SSR GT1 in 16" & 17", Kosei K1 Racing in 17", and E0 rims. The E0's are pretty much junkers as none of them are completely straight but not bent so much that they can't be used in a pinch or straightened.

Rick
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: I'm a fuacken rim factory - 04/08/05 11:24 PM
I have 4 sets of stock wheels for my miata.
Posted By: GrooveNerd Contact the fuacken rim factory - 04/09/05 06:04 AM
Call up Arospeed, who have the Rev-series of wheels made for them, and see what colors/styles they currently have in the 4x108 bolt pattern. The wheels section of their web page royally sucks. Somewhere I found a link to all their wheels on their site, but I don't remember what it was. I think the base address was a little different. Anyway, call and see what wheels they have in stock in 4x108, then see what they look like on someone else's website.

Or, you could call the US distributor for the company that actually manufactures the wheels, which is Kyowa Racing. Their website isn't exceedingly informative either, but at least they have pictures of more than one wheel! Anyway, they used to have their own version of the Rev X (the KR220, I think), but last I heard (around January), they only had a few 4x108 left in gunmetal or hyperblack. They had already come out with a replacement, and they had a couple of new designs on the way as well. They have a few wheels and colors that are not on the website yet, too, so give them a call for the latest.

Your local dealer should be able to order directly from either of these companies, and Arospeed may sell direct to you.

Marty
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/09/05 02:45 PM

. Looks like I am stuck with gunmetal... Seems to be a nice color either way, plus the semi-flat finish gives the car a racier look. Let's hope it works...

XL

STUCK???????
Posted By: liquidX Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/10/05 03:03 AM
Originally posted by wa2tuff:

. Looks like I am stuck with gunmetal... Seems to be a nice color either way, plus the semi-flat finish gives the car a racier look. Let's hope it works...

XL

STUCK???????

Not looking bad on your green, but I think my tour is spoiled with hyperblack to the point of no return level . Trying to back out of the gunmetal buy until something in either gloss or hyper black is available in 4/108. I will still post pics of the little honda on the blacks though .

XL:
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Made a decision on a race wheel... - 04/12/05 09:35 AM
if u don't want the ones u bought

re-sell em.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: I'm a fuacken rim factory - 04/12/05 11:27 AM
No brainer. Sell the 19" rims. You should not bought those in the first place.

MNSFHO...

Yup.
© CEG Archives