Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Christian_dup1 Rate your tires ... - 11/07/04 10:27 PM
Not sure if this has been done before, but I'm curious to know what everyone has.

1998 Mystique V6 MTX

Michelin Harmony
Good all round driving tire, gripped well enough in heavy rain. Relatively quiet ride.

Goodyear Ultra Grip ICE
Great winter tire. Lots of grip in the snow, noticable extra traction on sheet ice. Relatively quiet tire. Totally sucks in warmer weather, I skidded a little last year when it was warm and wet. Otherwise great tire.
Posted By: Nic_ContourSE99 Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/07/04 10:57 PM
Summer tire: Pirelli P3000 Cinturado 15''
Pretty quiet and comfortable, handling ok, but i don't really like traction on wet surfaces.

Winter tires: Nordic Wintertrac 14''
Ok, good traction, not awesome on icy roads.

Nic.
Posted By: red99sesport Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/07/04 11:21 PM
Goodyear Aquatred III 205/55/15. I run them all year.

I love these tires, they NEVER hydroplane. They also don't spin when I take off on wet pavement like my Firerocks did. They're great in snow, I almost never lock my brakes anymore, even without ABS. They also have excellent try traction, I can't make them break loose or squeal even on fresh blacktop. They have 15K on them, and they still look brand new, so I'd saw treadware is pretty good. The only downside is that they are louder than other tires I've had. They are especially loud on concrete highways, I just turn up my stereo to cover up the tire noise though.
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/07/04 11:22 PM
Bridgestone Potenza S-02's, 225/40-18. Awesome sticky tire during the summer. Not so great during the rain. Not worried about snow as I live in So. Cal.
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/07/04 11:43 PM
i got these 205 60 15 cooper cobra g/t [image]http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/displaylarge.asp?file=cobraGT.jpg&name=Cobra+Radial+G/T[/image] Performance tread
Increased tire-to-road contact which leads to improvements in treadwear and handling.

Flat tread profile
Optimum footprint shape helps distribute the vehicle load improving handling and overall wear.

M+S Rated
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/07/04 11:50 PM
Bridgestone- Fuzion ZR1-215/45/17
Fantastic dry traction in warm climates, haven't tested in cold climates. Very quiet and smooth ride at low and high speeds. Also, very good traction on wet roads during light, moderate, and heavy rain. Very pleased with these tires. And they were like $85 each!
Posted By: 2.3Turbochicken Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/07/04 11:53 PM
Had 225-60-16 aquatred 3's on my my tbird when I got it and they had no grip for a boosted car. They might be ok in wet weather but I wouldnt really even suggest them to svt's or modded duratecs. Then went with 225-55-16 s-o'2 great grip however after 15k miles a deer jumped out in front of me and the s-02's lost the battle between my cobra brakes and the tires. Ended up with 2-10 inch flat spots in them. Then went with 245-50-16 Fuzion ZRI's made by bridgestone firestone, and they are very grippy, and have uni-t for great wet weather traction, I'd recommend those to anyone running 16's or larger
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/08/04 01:03 AM
Originally posted by contourfreak22:
i got these 205 60 15 cooper cobra g/t [image]http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/displaylarge.asp?file=cobraGT.jpg&name=Cobra+Radial+G/T[/image] Performance tread
Increased tire-to-road contact which leads to improvements in treadwear and handling.

Flat tread profile
Optimum footprint shape helps distribute the vehicle load improving handling and overall wear.

M+S Rated

He was asking for your review....not a sales pitch from the manufacturer...
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/08/04 02:03 AM
Originally posted by JonnySVT:
Originally posted by contourfreak22:

Flat tread profile

M+S Rated

He was asking for your review....not a sales pitch from the manufacturer...

Posted By: Keith W_dup1 Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/08/04 06:29 AM
BFGoodrich Traction T/A's 205/55/16's H-rated all season high performance, excellent tires!! I went to these after two sets of Firestone SZ 50 EP's, those were just incredible tires. I had decided to change tires before I found out that the Firestones were being discontinued because I wanted something, cheaper, quieter, softer riding, and longer lasting than the Firestones but did not give up too much in the wet handling, very important in South Texas downpours, or in the dry handling. These tires fit every one of my criteria; $83/tire, very nice in road noise, not so harsh in the ride, 60K warranty, every bit as good as the SZ 50 EP's in the rain, and while not the same in the feeling in cornering as the Firestones in the dry, they do have nice, comfortable, precise, predictable attributes in cornering. Overall, I don't think you can beat these tires for the price.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/08/04 10:21 PM
Dunlop Super Sport Race: 225/45/17.

Summer tire, 60 treadware. Won't find a better gripping performance tire(non drag radial) anywhere guaranteed!! They stick like glue, even with 2500rpm launches in the 3L. Can't get them to even squeek going around exit ramps, no matter what I do. I give them an 11 out of 10.

Winter Tire: Whatever cheap ass Kelly Chargers Ive got on the 95' Cutty Supreme.

Mark
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Rate your tires... - 11/09/04 03:53 AM
BFG KDW (215/50 & 225/50)

Top tier tire for a low price.

Pros:
Excellent lateral grip nearing all out dry weather tires.
Very good launching grip. 85% of a drag radial.
Very strong sidewall allows for very little rollover.
Decent tire wear for a high performance tire. (~30k)

Cons:
Very loud tire noise.

BFG Comp T/A VR4 (245/50)

Used to be the standard for high performance tires.

Pros:
Excellent tire wear longevity for a high performance tire.
Very good lateral grip.
Very good launching grip.
Decent all weather ability.

Cons:
Sidewall not as stiff as newer tire designs.

BFG HR4-2 (215/60)

Good performance, all weather tire with a bargain price.

Pros:
Excellent all weather design.
Excellent tire wear longevity.
Good lateral grip.
Decent launching grip.

Cons:
None for it's intended purpose.

Goodyear Eagle RS-A (205/50)

Decent performance all weather tire. (OEM)

Pros:
Superb tire wear longevity!
Excellent all weather design.
Good launching grip.

Cons:
Only average lateral grip for a "performance" tire.
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: Rate your tires... - 11/09/04 05:04 AM
Sumitomo HTR+

Excellent tire for the money. 225 is actually too wide for E1 wheels, which is not a good thing for many reasons. nevertheless, it's got excellent lateral grip, decent wet traction and very even wear.
this is not a winter tire! don't even...

very good launching grip (for SE anyway), but one thing is that even though they still have some thread left after 2 seasons (about 15K miles, probably less) , they got noticebly harder, so I started spinning them every so often lately. oh well makes me feel like I've got some power
Posted By: backinblack98 Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/09/04 01:50 PM
Dunlop SP Sport A2- Rated a high performace all season. Excellent dry and wet tire. You can push this tire very far on dry pavement before it breaks loose. On wet pavement this tire almost seems to grip even more. almost no hydroplaning whatsoever (while you still got most of the treads) On snow coverd roads it does ok, but not the best, still have to drive carefull. I probably would not rate this tire as all season but...oh well. One last thing..the treadwear...horrible. After 12,000 miles they were bald and this was after rotating them once...in a years time!!!! Ive done some research and i found this tires last between 10,000 to 30,000 miles on average. For about $90 a tire at sears...although cheaper on tirerack.com this still seams like alot for a tire you may have to replace in a year. I wouldnt recomend this tire for areas where it snows alot...but then youll prolly want a snow tire anyways

But in conclusion:
Dry: Excellent
Wet: Very good
Ice: Not bad
Snow: Just OK...but hey, i live in houghton,MI and im dealin

By the way, excellent idea for these posts!!
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Rate your tires... - 11/09/04 03:07 PM
Bridgestone Turanza LS-T 195/65-14

They are ROCKS. Nice tires overall. VERY quiet, inexpensive for a touring tire ($65), handle well for a touring tire, traction is excellent for a touring tire - wet or dry.

I'd have to say I'm absolutely thrilled with the purchase, WAAAAY better than the Michelins that were on the car when I bought it. The Mics were nearly new & I got rid of them within two weeks (my first mod).

I now have almost 40,000 miles on them and more than half of the tread is still on the tires. Fabulous for highway cruising, but I'm getting a little tired of the harshness they seem to have on bumps around town (they're not as good as the Mics in that respect).

Would somebody be so kind as to recommend a 17" performance tire that will give me a quiet, smooth ride and decent traction? I've been looking at (have not tried) the KDW-2 but they may be a bit noisy for my liking.

Looking at Demons post, the BFG Comp T/A VR4 in a more appropriate size might be the ticket...

BFG Comp T/A VR4 (245/50)

Used to be the standard for high performance tires.

Pros:
Excellent tire wear longevity for a high performance tire.
Very good lateral grip.
Very good launching grip.
Decent all weather ability.

Cons:
Sidewall not as stiff as newer tire designs.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/09/04 03:53 PM
ContiExtremes-I give them a 1985.6 outta 2000.
Posted By: SVT Doood Re: Rate your tires... - 11/09/04 03:55 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

Looking at Demons post, the BFG Comp T/A VR4 in a more appropriate size might be the ticket...

Yep...and totally not produced anymore...

Why not go on www.tirerack.com and do some research. There are tons of tire review and peer to peer tests.

My pick...Goodyear Eagle F-1 GS-D3s
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Rate your tires... - 11/09/04 04:48 PM
Originally posted by SVT Doood:

Yep...and totally not produced anymore...

Why not go on www.tirerack.com and do some research. There are tons of tire review and peer to peer tests.

My pick...Goodyear Eagle F-1 GS-D3s

I just did that in fact...

I'm looking at another set of Bridgestones, the Sport thingie ones in the Ultra High Performance category. They look like just the ticket for comfort, quiet, performance, and treadwear combo. Price is right too.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/09/04 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

You severely over-rated them!

Maybe a 1600.

The give sub par lateral grip for a performance tire.
Decent launching grip.
Above average tread wire.

IMO they are not even in the perforamnce class. Maybe in the good all weather class but then the price is poor.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/09/04 07:19 PM
I don't think anyone HAS done this, so I'll give it a go:

Bridgestone Potenza S03's: all year tire, excellent lateral grip, unbelievably sticky, can handle ~400lbs of tq with chirping in 2nd and a bit into 3rd, so far excellent wear, just a bit noisy (but not as deafening as the KDW's).
Posted By: contoursvt11 Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/09/04 08:28 PM

Falken Azenis 225/45/17

Excellent tire.

Pro's:
Excellent grip
very stiff sidewall (sidenote: I had a flat tire and the rim was still about an inch off of the ground. I could still drive on it to get home)
Universal autocross tire (everyone has them....yes everyone)
Cheap ($117 at discount tire, cheaper if you look around)
performs well in the rain (only hydroplaned in a hurricane)

Con's:
200 Treadwear rating (I didn't mind as it was a cheaper tire)
Somewhat noisy (not a problem for me)
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/09/04 09:15 PM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

Maybe a 1600.

Decent launching grip.

IMO they are not even in the perforamnce class. Maybe in the good all weather class but then the price is poor.

They are all seasons.
So I rate them as an all season, which they are good.
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/09/04 09:29 PM

Maybe a 1600.

Decent launching grip.

AMEN!!! He REFUSES to accept it though.

They are all seasons.

BS!!! You constantly harp on the 'performance' qualities if the ContiExtremes as substitutes for a real performance tire like the Azenzis, KDW's, or Kuhmo 711's.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/09/04 09:35 PM
Summer tires are Goodyear Eagle F1's and they're great tires. They have a 280 treadwear and the usual "A" rating for temp and traction. I felt alot more confindent with these on my car when matched to lighter/wider BBS rims on the Dragon this year.

When I used to drive my car in the winter I had (2) different snow tires. The first set were Yokahama Guardex 600's (P225/50/16's) and they gripped VERY well, but on dry pavement they "wandered" a bit, but nothing to worry about. My second set were Michelin "Pilot" Alpins (P205/60/15's) mounted on 15" steelies. These tires were also very good in the snow we got, but on dry pavement I forgot I even had snow tires on the car. They're "H" speed rated and I can attest to going over the century mark (noone around) and they didn't shake, period. For the money I feel the Michelins are worth it and if you value ride AND snow performance out of your snow tires, get them
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/09/04 09:51 PM
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:

Maybe a 1600.

Decent launching grip.

AMEN!!! He REFUSES to accept it though.

They are all seasons.

BS!!! You constantly harp on the 'performance' qualities if the ContiExtremes as substitutes for a real performance tire like the Azenzis, KDW's, or Kuhmo 711's.

I guess you are confusing me with someone. I say they grip good for what they are and good in rain. I'll give you $5 via paypal if you find a post showing where I construe it as anything other than that. But I also want $5 from you when you don't find any post such as that.
Posted By: 00SVTGA Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/09/04 10:47 PM

Far as budget performance tires go. You will be hard pressed to find a better dry performance tire for the money than the all mighty yokohama AVS ES100's.

Pros: -awesome dry weather performance , sticky like glue., stiffy side wall.

Cons: not so great wet weather traction, lots of wheel hop in my CSVT when launched at high RPMS 4K+ - yea, yea i know but what yea going do ? also these are no good for burn outs there to sticky all you will get is wheel hop.

for good burn outs go with an all seasion or winter tire.

other than that great tire for the dollar.

who says that a 225 is to large of a tire for the E1 rims ? WTF are you talking about ? the 225 on the E1 is a wonderful combination.

For the record the kuhmo 711 supras suck a$$ !!! they look kool and will get you where your going but A big thumbs down on the performance end make that two thumbs downs , while i shake my head
Posted By: 2.3Turbochicken Re: Rate your tires... - 11/10/04 01:46 AM
Bridgestone Turanza LS-T 195/65-14

They are ROCKS. Nice tires overall. VERY quiet, inexpensive for a touring tire ($65), handle well for a touring tire, traction is excellent for a touring tire - wet or dry.

I'd have to say I'm absolutely thrilled with the purchase, WAAAAY better than the Michelins that were on the car when I bought it. The Mics were nearly new & I got rid of them within two weeks (my first mod).

I now have almost 40,000 miles on them and more than half of the tread is still on the tires. Fabulous for highway cruising, but I'm getting a little tired of the harshness they seem to have on bumps around town (they're not as good as the Mics in that respect).

Would somebody be so kind as to recommend a 17" performance tire that will give me a quiet, smooth ride and decent traction? I've been looking at (have not tried) the KDW-2 but they may be a bit noisy for my liking.

Dont look too much farther than where you're actually at. The bridgestone turanza line is not only offered in T rated, but also more attractive tread designs with the H, V, and Z rated tread and also carry 40k and 50k mile warranties depending on profile.
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/10/04 03:04 PM
I guess you are confusing me with someone. I say they grip good for what they are and good in rain. I'll give you $5 via paypal if you find a post showing where I construe it as anything other than that. But I also want $5 from you when you don't find any post such as that.

Save your $5 for more yellow paint, I'm sure you need it.

I encourage folks to look through your posts as it seems your fondness of the Contis has only gotten stronger as others have said they weren't a good option. Only after people started posting better options did you start defending the ContiExtremes. In fact in other threads where there was no one to recommend against the Continentals your own posts recommended some Yokohama's, Kuhmo's, and Pirelli's BEFORE your blessed Continental's.

But now, when others suggest alternatives you go in a tizzy saying they're great for the money or saying they were never a performance tire. The truth is there are MUCH better options that are cheaper and have better performance AND are all-seasons. I could recommend my tire but then it would be my word against yours and that doesn't benefit CEG in any way. Call Luke@ Tirerack and ask about the Continentals; that's what I did and that's why I bought Yokohama all-seasons.
Posted By: Max02 Re: Rate your tires... - 11/10/04 05:24 PM

Oh no!! Don't tell me that! I just bought them for my car partly because of their good Tire Rack rating in snow. They were also a great value, and I've been really happy with their dry and wet performance. But, I haven't had a chance to try them in the snow yet. I hope I have better luck.

Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/10/04 07:36 PM
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:

Save your $5 for more yellow paint, I'm sure you need it.

I encourage folks to look through your posts as it seems your fondness of the Contis has only gotten stronger as others have said they weren't a good option. Only after people started posting better options did you start defending the ContiExtremes. In fact in other threads where there was no one to recommend against the Continentals your own posts recommended some Yokohama's, Kuhmo's, and Pirelli's BEFORE your blessed Continental's.

But now, when others suggest alternatives you go in a tizzy saying they're great for the money or saying they were never a performance tire. The truth is there are MUCH better options that are cheaper and have better performance AND are all-seasons. I could recommend my tire but then it would be my word against yours and that doesn't benefit CEG in any way. Call Luke@ Tirerack and ask about the Continentals; that's what I did and that's why I bought Yokohama all-seasons.

I do need more yellow paint, but I want your $5 cuz you can't prove what you're saying. You just are putting words in my mouth or misconstrueing what I post.

I encourage people to look at my posts as well. I can't even remember too many people saying contiextremes aren't good tires. A few times someone says another tire is better, I point out good qualities of the contiextremes but never do I claim them to be some super tire and have said many times there are better tires.

"In fact in other threads where there was no one to recommend against the Continentals your own posts recommended some Yokohama's, Kuhmo's, and Pirelli's BEFORE your blessed Continental's."

^^ OK, so you agree with me now? You just want to start an arguement. Like I said, I don't claim contiextremes as some super tire, obviously why I recommend some other tires before them.

I don't know where you got the idea in your little head that I think my tires are some holy grail. Just chill out about it, I don't get that way about my stuff, I'm not like you. I know nothing I own is great.

I'm not in a tizzy buddy. You're up in arms cuz I put some arbitrary number rating to my tires? Chill out. They are good for the money (atleast what I paid and warranty I got). And they aren't a performance tire. That's good if you found something that suits your needs better than the contiextremes, at time I bought them, there wasn't a better choice for me (though I regret not going with a performance tire, though I like knowing I have a long lasting tire).
I didn't know we were having a tire fite, I thought this thread was titled rate your tire, not fite about your tires. Chill out. It's not that big of a deal buddy.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/10/04 08:04 PM
On the old ride, I'd rate my stock Firehawk GTA's as terrible in every category.

New ride:

OEM Regal Pacesetter's on 14" steelies = spin like nobody's business. They were quiet, comfortable, didn't stick to the road at all under stress, but they were very predictable. I liked 'em, they were comfy. Then somebody stole 'em from my buddy's house. Reckon they'll be real pissed when they try to put 'em on their Civic.

Yeah they steelies, but I keeps 'em clean.

Kumho Ecsta 711 Not Supra's, those are 712's; let's not get these two confused, k? 205/40/27 on my big rims. They handled well in dry or wet conditions. I think I ran 'em in the snow once, but that was just for fun. Hydro resistance is good. Cornering stability is good. These tires took a trip through Deal's Gap on a nice summer day and performed well. I can't rate these particular tires very high, however, due to their size. They were practcally rubber bands around the rims. No sidewall meant no comfort and loud highway noise. Had they been the correct size, 215/45, they would have been much better for me. They were fun though; and wore pretty well. I'd say I got about 11,000-13,000 miles out of 'em before they started falling apart; note: one did fall apart, but it was well worn out already. These are absolutely great tires; especially for the money. If I needed a set of tires right away and for cheap, these would be my new shoes.

No sidewall and the wheels are wider, but the very low profile caused the wheels to be mistaken for 18"s or larger on several occasions.

Kumho Ecsta ASX 225/45/17 current shoes. These tires are good (not high, but better than average) performance all season tires. They stick to wet roads almost as well as dry roads. These tires have seen Deal's Gap several times; most recently in dry weather, and once in a light rain. They hold the road very well; especially considering they are all season tires. The larger size (over my old Kumho's) makes them infinitly more quiet, comfortable, and stable. In a head to head comparison, I'd get the Ecsta 711 an advantage to the ASX in dry weather, but the other way 'round in the rain. These are smooth, comfortable, and they'll snap you around a corner if you make 'em. They give very good feedback as to their traction. I've driven other cars that'll either hold the road or skid; no in between, no feedback before they slip. The ASX get loud when they're under serious stress. When they do let go, they slide very smooth and predictable. No jerks in the steering wheel (other than the one behind it ), just a smooth slide until they can grip again. On top of all of this, these tires have a 420 treadwear rating. I've had them for 3-4,000 miles now (I think, I'll search back to be sure) and I've only rotated them once; because the fronts wear slightly faster than the rears. They are in very good shape; even after a weekend at Deal's Gap.

My current rubbers:

Hopefully my next set of tires in 195/70/13

Edit: Ok, I was way off, I've had these current tires for right on 10,000 miles.
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: Rate your tires... - 11/10/04 09:36 PM
Originally posted by GreenHornet:

Oh no!! Don't tell me that! I just bought them for my car partly because of their good Tire Rack rating in snow. They were also a great value, and I've been really happy with their dry and wet performance. But, I haven't had a chance to try them in the snow yet. I hope I have better luck.

225 width has a lot to do w/ it, I imagine. I managed through 1st winter, but I live in NJ, not MI, and my car was not a daily driver at that point.

in general UHP tires are not designed for snow use, and I wouldn't call 7.2 Tire rack rating "good" either

at any rate, HTR+ is not a new tire anymore so it moved down the TireRack rating list considerably since I got them in May 2002. heck they are rated worse than ContiExtremes

don't worry, you will wear them through soon enough
Posted By: sonza68_dup1 Re: Rate your tires... - 11/11/04 05:07 PM
Current tires:

Kumho Ecsta MX (225/45/17)
Good dry and wet grip, but the sidewalls are a little soft so turn in suffers a little. Treadwear and price are decent for a dedicated summer tire. Overall I've been happy with them and will likely buy another set.

Kumho Ecsta V700 (225/45/17)
Dry grip is good, but they overheat when run too long on hot days. OK in the damp but I wouldn't use them in standing water. They held up through 1 1/2 autox seasons before becoming heatcycled to death. I liked them as a first r-comp, but I'm looking to the 710 as a replacement provided the start making my size.

Continental ContiExtreme Contact (225/60/16)
Decent dry grip and good wet traction. Faired pretty good in the snow. I like them as a year round tire.
Posted By: Max02 Re: Rate your tires... - 11/11/04 06:39 PM
Originally posted by alex_96GL:
Originally posted by GreenHornet:

225 width has a lot to do w/ it, I imagine. I managed through 1st winter, but I live in NJ, not MI, and my car was not a daily driver at that point.

in general UHP tires are not designed for snow use, and I wouldn't call 7.2 Tire rack rating "good" either

at any rate, HTR+ is not a new tire anymore so it moved down the TireRack rating list considerably since I got them in May 2002. heck they are rated worse than ContiExtremes

don't worry, you will wear them through soon enough

Yeah, I have the 205's so maybe that will help. I considered the ContiExtreme's too, but the HTR+ went on sale for a great price so I thought I would try them. How many miles did you get out of your HTR+? I drive fairly aggresively, but I was hoping for 30,000 miles anyways. Am I off base?
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/11/04 08:08 PM
Hankook Ventus HRII M+S 215/45/17

Out of 5
Dry grip - 4.5
Dry Traction - 4.5
(Lack of)Road Noise - 5
Wear and Tear - 4 (lots o' tread left)
Curb Protection - 1
Wet Grip - 4
Wet Traction - 3.5
Hydroplane - rarely
Good for Winter - 2.5
Cost - 3.5

OVERALL : First Tire I've ever bought, glad I did, but wouldn't get it again to save my rims.

Posted By: backinblack98 Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/12/04 05:09 AM
Has anyone had any luck with a good winter tire?
All season just doesnt cut it.
Posted By: 2.3Turbochicken Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/13/04 12:12 AM
check tirerack fro blizzak ws-50's if you have the loot, if not go with the winterforce brand they're much cheaper, direction and very good! They hold a 20psi turbo rwd car down I think a tour will be ok.
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/13/04 12:20 AM
Originally posted by 00SVTGA:

Cons: not so great wet weather traction, lots of wheel hop in my CSVT when launched at high RPMS 4K+ - yea, yea i know but what yea going do ? also these are no good for burn outs there to sticky all you will get is wheel hop.

for good burn outs go with an all seasion or winter tire.

other than that great tire for the dollar.

Really? You get lots of wheel hop when launched at high RPM ...in a contour? No way! And what's that...All you get is wheel hop when you try to do good "burn outs". I refuse to believe this, because everybody knows with any tires the contours are great for burn outs! But if you insist, I will go get some winter tires so I can improve on my burning out. Thanks for the advice!
Posted By: 00SVTGA Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/13/04 12:33 AM

compaired to my stock firehawk tires which i could smoke all the way down the street . these yokohamas will smoke but not anywhere in the same ball park off the firehawks.
the yokohama AVS ES100's have little if any smoke while roasting the tires, wheel hop is increased a lot. the yokohamas create 1/3 of the smoke i could cause with the firehawks.

the yokohamas are on another level of performance ! they will hang in the corners the firehawks will not.

firehawk- 215-50-16

yokohama- 225-45-16
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Rate your tires ... - 11/14/04 07:00 AM
Pirelli P-7000 Super Sports

235-25-ZR17

Very HARD tire. They suck when they are cold, but as soon as they warm up, REAL sticky. Awesome wet traction, very nice tread pattern. Has a concept like the goodyear Assurance. Very hard center channel for great wet and icy traction, very firm side walls, and unique tread pattern to part water quickly. Only drawback, I here they wear quickly. But, oh well.

Posted By: Christian_dup1 Re: Rate your tires ... - 10/09/05 03:07 AM
Hate to retrieve such an old thread, but it's a good list of tyres and wanted to add to it

Michelin Pilot Sport (Stock CSVT size)

Feels like a decent set of tyre's. Haven't worried them with my driving habits yet. Seem pretty good in the wet too, no problems in a downpour or standing water!

Michelin HydroEdge (Merc Mystique)

Good tyre ... wife hasn't hydroplaned/spun the car in over a year which is a VERY good sign
Posted By: 96RedSE5Sp_dup1 Re: Rate your tires ... - 10/09/05 09:44 PM

Great all round tire. Good on dry pavement. Safe and secure on wet pavement. Good on snow and ice (at least until I get my regular winter tires on).

My only complaint is that my set is shot after only 19,000 miles.
Posted By: 96RedSE5Sp_dup1 Re: Rate your tires ... - 10/09/05 09:46 PM

Really?

What other tire in this price range performs better in rain, ice and snow?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Rate your tires ... - 10/10/05 12:36 AM
Demon's right, they're not really a performance tire. They do fine in rain and supposedly goog in snow and whatnot. They lasted fine on my car (all things considered) and are now serving the last of their life on friend's srt4.
Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Re: Rate your tires ... - 10/12/05 12:10 PM
Missed this thread the first time around, but I just replaced my Dunlop SP5000 Sports (205/55/16) after 43K mi. They have a very slightly softer sidewall than the 1st-gen BFG KDW's I had before, but dry and wet traction was as good if not better. Plus they had an all-season rating. I used them in snow for 2 seasons and never wished I had snow tires. So far, the best tires I've tried.
Posted By: gotapex Re: Rate your tires ... - 10/17/05 06:44 AM
Pirelli P-Zero Corsa. Absolutely incredible grip when warmed up. It's really hard to believe how much harder they grip than max performance summer DOT tires, like the already good Michelin Pilot Sport, Bridgestone S-02 & S-03 (the S-02 is better than the S-03), Yokohama Advan Neova AD07, BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD (which grip MUCH harder than the wet weather KDW and KDW2). Where to S-03 will spin uselessly powering out of a 2nd gear corner at even a reasonably sticky track (ie. Streets of Willow, after cleaning), the Corsa allow me to squeeze on the power pretty quickly. They don't last long at all though, and are rated at 60 treadwear.

Posted By: rikenbomb_dup1 Re: Rate your tires ... - 10/17/05 10:37 PM
Yokohama Parada spec 2 225/40/18

Pros:
-Excellent dry grip, even better when warmed up.
-Excellent cornering. I only AutoX'd with these tires once, but I could not break these loose. Now with the 3L they do not want to give up grip.
-Great tread wear (300) ~12,000 miles driven
-Fully rotatable
-Can handle rougher roads
-Decent grip in wet weather

Cons:
-Noisy tire as they wear out. Not as bad compared to the BFG KDW (older version)

Overall it is a great buy, but it is slightly more expensive.
Posted By: Christian_dup1 Re: Rate your tires ... - 06/06/06 03:33 PM
Thought I would update this somewhat:

Michelin Pilot Sport

Seems like a decent grippy tire.
Wear is within reason.
Can get a little slippery on anything but dry and clean roads.
Fun to drive so far, but I won't be buying them again.

Michelin X-ICE

I went with these because they had a $50/tire cheaper price than anything else at the time.
Seemed like a decent winter tire, although I wasn't impressed over the course of time.
When compared with my old Goodyear Ultra Grip ICE, they were significantly less grippy.
With a direct comparison of 2 year old UG ICE on the wife's vs X-ICE on mine I could easily see the difference, even with Torsen in the SVT!
Again another tire I won't be going for.

Michelin HydroEdge

Got these on the wife's car as she has a tendency to spin anything in wet weather.
So far she hasn't spun or lost grip at all which makes this tire awesome in my eyes
It's wearing very well, grips well for an all season and is generally an all round nice tire.
I'd rate this highly.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Rate your tires ... - 06/06/06 07:40 PM
Stock E0's

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 205/55/16

Awesome all season tire, good traction in the snow, excellent traction in the rain/dry. Tire wear is excellent, i have owend them for 2 years and they still look brand new

Rims

Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45/17

Awesome tire! Super grippy in both rain and dry. Not the quitiest tire and has not the best wear. All in all good tire for those OEM Sports cars, ooo did I say they are grippy?

Posted By: jtour Re: Rate your tires ... - 06/07/06 01:02 PM
So far so good! I love them!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+711&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=05ZR6E711&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

Posted By: 2 guard Re: Rate your tires ... - 06/08/06 06:20 AM
Originally posted by gotapex:
Pirelli P-Zero Corsa. Absolutely incredible grip when warmed up. It's really hard to believe how much harder they grip than max performance summer DOT tires, like the already good Michelin Pilot Sport, Bridgestone S-02 & S-03 (the S-02 is better than the S-03), Yokohama Advan Neova AD07, BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD (which grip MUCH harder than the wet weather KDW and KDW2). Where to S-03 will spin uselessly powering out of a 2nd gear corner at even a reasonably sticky track (ie. Streets of Willow, after cleaning), the Corsa allow me to squeeze on the power pretty quickly. They don't last long at all though, and are rated at 60 treadwear.

Well i love my so-3's alot better then the so2's....

225-50-16 even here in the arm pit of hell (arizona) the 03's hold up alot better for me then anything i have tryied. an the corsa tire maybe great track day but for everyday driving gimmie my so-3's...
Posted By: johnny hennessy_dup1 Re: Rate your tires ... - 06/08/06 07:04 AM
Originally posted by 2 guard:

Well i love my so-3's alot better then the so2's....

225-50-16 even here in the arm pit of hell (arizona) the 03's hold up alot better for me then anything i have tryied. an the corsa tire maybe great track day but for everyday driving gimmie my so-3's...

I feel the exact same way, they are like a 10 in the dry weather, and a 9 in the rain, I keep thinking the car is going to start giving, but the tires keep pushing
© CEG Archives