Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 00SVTGA new rims weight or lip ? - 10/19/04 10:16 PM

i have a problem , i'm looking into buying some rims 17" cause my tires need replacing and i figure might as well buy rims at the same time.

i cant deside between lightweight rims or rims with a 2" polished lip. after a month i'm still torn between the two any thoughts would be helpful.

benifit of lightweight rims- makes car faster,handle better,ect.

benifit of rims with a 2" lip looks and they weight about 19.5 same as stock csvt wheels so no performance gain.

i can't deside between

the 17" oz superlegera 17" 15.4 lbs $260 each.
or
the 17" konig GT-R five spoke 2"lip 19.5lbs. $150 each.

can't deside if the peformance gained from the oz wheels outwieghts the looks of the konig's.

4.1 lbs x 7 lbs of rotating mass = 28.7 + 4 = 115.8 lbs
total weight savings with the oz wheels,over stock 19.5 16" csvt wheels.

i havent factored in the extra weight of the 17" tires vs. the 16" tires but you get the idea.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/20/04 12:34 AM
if you're looking at it as a performance mod, don't.
Posted By: Silversvts Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/20/04 03:32 PM
Why not look at it as a performance mod? Is that not enough weight to make a difference?
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/20/04 04:22 PM
Originally posted by JonnySVT:

maybe i should have left the stock flywheel in my car instead up upgrading to the fidanza.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/20/04 05:31 PM
See sig.
Posted By: Pete D_dup1 Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/22/04 06:38 AM
17" Centerline RPM's weigh 14.6lbs and are about $250/ea. My friend bought Konig's for his altima this past spring and already bent one. Forged all the way for me
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/23/04 08:23 PM
If you're worried about 115 pounds, take something out of your trunk.
Posted By: StreetDreams Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/23/04 08:49 PM
i say go for the lip....

Posted By: 00SVTGA Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/23/04 11:30 PM

yea i'm liking the lip more and more, i've got 18" konig rythems on my accord and the lip is tight but their so damn heavy. lol take 115 lbs out of my trunk, i wish it was that easy. i ditched the system a long time ago.

was just thinking that the O.Z.'s would would give the car a performance edge due to the fact that it less weight to carry through the 1320 you know.

i'm pretty sure of the konigs now.seems light weight wheels don't have the edge i was looking for. if i'm wrong let me know.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/23/04 11:36 PM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:

maybe i should have left the stock flywheel in my car instead up upgrading to the fidanza.

That counts as a performance mod.

There is much debate about wheel diameter increase disadvantage over weight loss advantage. Sure, 7 lbs of weight taken off for every 1 lb of unsprung sounds jiffy. But then you stop and think, how much does moving denser material farther outward of the hub affect that? Nobody here has dyno'd the differences. I was considering a dyno test with mine, but not until I'm really bored and have extra income to waste. If you want to get them and dyno the differences, please do, it will put down the debate for the most part.
Posted By: BiggsvT28 Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/24/04 01:00 AM
To some there are more important things than going fast in a straight line. I loved goinge from 18's to 17in. OZ's, and noticed a huge difference. I miss the looks of the 18's, but I am much happier with a real performance rim.

Think about it this way, putting on a real performance rim adds to seperating yourself from the slews of ricers
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/24/04 01:24 AM
Quote:

Think about it this way, putting on a real performance rim adds to seperating yourself from the slews of ricers

That's why I opted for the lightweight 17s. Looks better than 16s, and considerably lighter. And the first thing I liked about them was the style.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/24/04 07:22 PM
Originally posted by MarshlMathrs:
i say go for the lip....

I second the motion.

Posted By: JonnySVT Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/24/04 07:27 PM
If you call that lip, then I have the same lip. So I have lightweight and a lip! Beat everybody! My wheel is that identical style, add a spoke, and make them white.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/24/04 08:32 PM
if u r getting a lip wheel, i recommend an 18" minimum. i have a 17" wheel with lip and they look very nice but they give the appearance of a smaller wheel cuz the spokes dont extent to the edge of the wheel-shorter spokes makes the wheel look smaller. u guys see the big 18-19" lipped wheels and they look hot because of the size. if my wheel came in 18 i'd have gotten it but i also cant afford to run 19" tires. now i'm considering selling my wheels for a nonlipped 17" or 18" like the oz stgt or a lipped 18". but i havent seen a lipped 18 that has the look i like (short of bk299's and i'm not going to pay a fortune to import them).
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/24/04 09:17 PM
Quote:

if u r getting a lip wheel, i recommend an 18" minimum. i have a 17" wheel with lip and they look very nice but they give the appearance of a smaller wheel cuz the spokes dont extent to the edge of the wheel-shorter spokes makes the wheel look smaller.

Exactly! A lot of people think mine are 16". They look that way due to the spokes not reaching the full diameter of the wheel. I would definitely choose 18s or 19s ANYDAY for looks. But most of the time, my 17/16s keep me happy with looks.
Posted By: StreetDreams Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/25/04 02:11 AM

If you call that lip, then I have the same lip. So I have lightweight and a lip! Beat everybody! My wheel is that identical style, add a spoke, and make them white.

well yea, if thats not a lip...........what is it ? the konig next are lightweight motorsport wheels. they arent that heavy........but again, im not sure how much they do weigh either. the 19" weighs 21lbs and come in widths of 8"s or 9"s.

Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/25/04 04:26 AM
get the lip. I would sacrifice some performance in exchange for better looking wheels. The SVT is fun to modify and make fast, but do remember that it is a daily driver. Unless your car spends most of its time on a track, then I would not worry so much about wheel weight. The only reason I would get lighter wheels is because they tend to come in the styles I prefer
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/27/04 04:40 AM
Quote:

well yea, if thats not a lip...........what is it

I was talking about Wa2TUFFs wheels...
Posted By: StreetDreams Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/27/04 06:47 AM
my bad man, i didnt mean to sound like a smarta$$ though..................i still say go for a lip
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/29/04 05:21 PM
Originally posted by MarshlMathrs:
my bad man, i didnt mean to sound like a smarta$$ though..................i still say go for a lip

Screw it. Go for weight. You get plenty of lip around here.
Posted By: StreetDreams Re: new rims weight or lip ? - 10/29/04 05:57 PM
haha, isnt that right........
© CEG Archives