Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: svt4b damn car eats rotors!!! why??? - 07/30/03 07:08 PM
i own a 98 SVT and i am on my 3rd set of rotors in less than a year and a half the damn car eats them up. i get a new set of OEM rotors and good pads and within a couple weeks im back to the same freaky ass vibration in the wheel when i brake medium to hard at higher speeds. why is this happening and should i check anything else? will SS brake lines help?
Posted By: delmar_dup1 Re: damn car eats rotors!!! why??? - 07/30/03 07:18 PM
what pads are you using? if they produce more heat than stock, what do you think will happen to your stock rotors? better stopping = more friction = more heat.
Posted By: CrispRide Re: damn car eats rotors!!! why??? - 07/30/03 07:35 PM
when installing new rotors and pads you have to "season" them b4 u can really drive and brake hard on them or they will warp use the search and youll find the write up on how to "season" pads and rotors, also if the brake bias is screwed somehow(happened on my last car) the bias was totally on the front and the rear brakes never engaged and it was like 95% brake bias on front rotors and they warped every couple months because of this and that "could" be a posibility.
Posted By: svt4b Re: damn car eats rotors!!! why??? - 07/30/03 08:06 PM
im using mintex pads on OEM SVT rotors and it also happened when i used to have the EBC greenies. if its a brake bias problem, how do you go about fixing that??
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: damn car eats rotors!!! why??? - 07/30/03 09:08 PM
Start by bleeding new fluid down to all of your brake calipers. You can get one man brake bleed kits from your auto parts store. The kit is comprised of a tube with a spring loaded ball bearing check valve at the end. Cheap & easy to do yourself. About the only other tools you will need is your tire changing stuff & a brake line wrench for the bleed nipples.

Brake fluid has a tendency to absorb water/moisture so I flush my brake system & bleed my brakes every 1 or 2 years. I have NEVER had a brake problem or failure.

Posted By: delmar_dup1 Re: damn car eats rotors!!! why??? - 07/31/03 02:04 PM
Originally posted by svt4b:
im using mintex pads on OEM SVT rotors and it also happened when i used to have the EBC greenies. if its a brake bias problem, how do you go about fixing that??

Both these pads have been known to put out noticeably more heat than stock. Use the search feature to read more on your rotor situation...
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: damn car eats rotors!!! why??? - 07/31/03 05:47 PM
Mintex A/F or 1144?

The A/F's are very close to OEM.
Posted By: svt4b Re: damn car eats rotors!!! why??? - 08/03/03 06:47 PM
i think they are the A/F. its really bad though. anything over 30mph and the wheel shakes like crazy and braking is scary as sh*t.
Posted By: BIGFISHE_dup1 Re: damn car eats rotors!!! why??? - 08/04/03 12:00 AM
I bet my money on Improper Torque on th lugs...
i was having that problem, till I retorqued mine to 90lbs.
Posted By: svt4b Re: damn car eats rotors!!! why??? - 08/04/03 02:52 AM
i was actually thinking that too cause the rotors never really looked too bad...although milimeters are a little difficult to spot with the human eyepiece! i got new rims going on on tuesday, so i will make sure to torque em to 90 and let you nice fellers know what happened. im also going to ford tomorrw for some random parts and i will ask them about the biasing.
Posted By: dragin Re: damn car eats rotors!!! why??? - 08/04/03 03:19 PM
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

found this link on the focaljet website.
Posted By: svt4b Re: damn car eats rotors!!! why??? - 08/04/03 05:11 PM
Originally posted by dragin:
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

found this link on the focaljet website.

hey thanks...that was realy informative. im gonna try to use the garnet paper but mine are so bad i think im past that. i might have to call it a loss and start over again with a proper break-in this time. when i do my rims, im gonna check the hub too, cause the rotors dont show deposits of any kind.
good lookin out brah
© CEG Archives