Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SVT JET II Pads for the track - 05/30/03 04:32 PM
Need your suggestions on what pads I can use for track day and track school running.

I have used in the past stock, EBC greens (old formula + new formula), and most recently Mintex 1144's.

Stock is good for rears only I found - nothing more.
EBC green (old) - lasted and held up quite well, but I only used them when I was new to going on the track so I don't believe I pushed very hard (Watkins Glen)
EBC green (new) - did not last but held up to the temps I was experiencing (tracks Watkins Glen + Road America)
Mintex 1144's - had quite a bit of fade + I believe I glazed them because of overheating them (Gingerman). I had to change back to street pads because my pedal would go 2/3rds the way to the floor before any bite.

The BAT catalog had said it was good to 650C (1200F) but the Mintex site says that the pad is a lot less. After this week, I believe the site.

Any suggestions? What is everyone else using?
Posted By: bamf2go Re: Pads for the track - 05/30/03 08:38 PM
PM Stazzi the Aussie, he has Bendix Titanium pads and new rotors (if needed), the pads are an amazing deal. Extremely low dust (less than stock), very very low pedal fade, and amazing bite. I have them on my bronco and it was a huge improvement over the stock pads. Another outstanding side note is that they are very cheap, only $40 or so for a set of front pads, even cheaper for the rear, you will notice a major improvement over stock. If you match these pads with stainless steel brake lines and a good brake fluid flush, replace with quality dot 4 fluid (try the super blue stuff from spmotorsports). This brake setup is a huge improvement over stock.
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 05/30/03 09:49 PM
I'm not sure there are any other good track compounds normally made for the contour caliper, most people I know run either the EBC greens, the Mintex 1144, or the KVR Carbon fiber pads. While they are a good street replacement pad, I don't know that the Bendix pads would be up to the task for heavy track use.

With the temperatures you say you are seeing, I think some decent brake ducts would help you out a heck of a lot. Just make up some simple ducts from the air dam, and route them to dump as close to the middle of the back side of the rotor as you can. They don't have to be pretty or anything. The foglight holes in the fascia would even be a good place to pull air from (of course you would have to remove the foglights, duh, lol)
Posted By: svtzap_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 05/30/03 10:09 PM
Hey I run my car at the glen, mid-ohio, summit point, vir, and i instruct at BeaveRun. I have used the ebc green stuff (new compound) when i run it. I have yet to try Stazi's pads, but being that they are a street/aggressive driving pad, I dont know how they'd last on the track. I'd like to look into a nice track pad by hawk or carbotec that fits our oem sized caliper and rotor. I'v also found that my ABS likes to come on after a few hot laps on the green stuff and my stock pads(needless to say I don't run them anymore) not to mention break fad. Let me know if you find anything.
Posted By: AndrewR_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 05/31/03 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Rara:
... With the temperatures you say you are seeing, I think some decent brake ducts would help you out a heck of a lot. Just make up some simple ducts from the air dam, and route them to dump as close to the middle of the back side of the rotor as you can. They don't have to be pretty or anything. The foglight holes in the fascia would even be a good place to pull air from (of course you would have to remove the foglights, duh, lol)

Do you really think that would be a good idea since the rotors aren't vented to the inside? You would only be introducing cooler air to one side of the rotor face.
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 05/31/03 06:13 PM
Originally posted by AndrewR:

Do you really think that would be a good idea since the rotors aren't vented to the inside? You would only be introducing cooler air to one side of the rotor face.

Well, unless you can figure out a way to route the air around the rotor and into the center of the rotor on the wheel side, there isn't much else you can do, is there?

Posted By: AndrewR_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 05/31/03 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Rara:

Well, unless you can figure out a way to route the air around the rotor and into the center of the rotor on the wheel side, there isn't much else you can do, is there?

True. The questions are: 1) Because the cool air won't be flowing through the center of the vented rotor will there be any noticeable cooling due to the ducts? 2) If one side of the rotor is cooler than the other, what problems will that cause?
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 06/01/03 01:24 PM
This heat in the hub area possibly the reason for increase of bearings failures on the Contiques? Or just a common FWD problem?
TNX
Paul
Bendix Titanium pads with that break-in coating maybe the prime key to the brakes performing so well?
since reading the latest articles about proper seasoning and bedding of rotors and pads. I believe the Bendix says the Titanium pad material is closer to OEM temperatures?
Posted By: Antiramie_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 06/01/03 04:28 PM
Depending on how late of an E1 you have, you might be able to use EBC Red Stuff pads. According to their site the pads are good to +750°C
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 06/02/03 05:39 PM
I suggest KVR Carbon Fibre all around for heavy track use. But they aren't that great on the street, they need lots of heat. I would also suggest changing your brake fluid and lines, SS lines and ATE TYP200/SuperBlue.

-Andy
Posted By: Shaun G_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 06/03/03 03:45 AM
If your going to continue tracking your car you may just want to get some 13" brakes. Makes a world of difference.

Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 06/03/03 03:20 PM
or the 12.2's and run 16's
Posted By: bcandiloro_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 06/04/03 05:06 PM
The Mintex 1144 pads have worked great for me on the track. Absolutely no fade at all. Make sure you've got fresh high temp fluid (ATE super-blue). Otherwise it'll boil and the pedal will go to the floor. I'm also using cross-drilled-kvr rotors, maybe they do help keep things cool? Otherwise, just don't use the brakes, they tend to slow you down BTW, is it an E0 or E1?
Posted By: SVT JET II Re: Pads for the track - 06/04/03 09:54 PM
All good things to think about. My SVT uses the post 5/99 style of pad design for the fronts even though it was born 4/99. Do they make the EBC redstuff for that design?

Also, I had already changed over to the DOT 4 ATE super blue for a while because I did not want to boil the fluid.

From all the posts, it sounds like my options are very limited....most discouraging. The car has so much potential. If only someone would supply the same products as other cars out there...
Posted By: SVT JET II Re: Pads for the track - 06/04/03 09:58 PM
Does the SS lines do anything to reduce the heat generated by the braking? I know they help with reducing the expansion effect experienced by the stock lines because of the fluid getting hot and hence the pedal fade feel.
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 06/04/03 10:29 PM
Originally posted by SVT JET II:
Does the SS lines do anything to reduce the heat generated by the braking? I know they help with reducing the expansion effect experienced by the stock lines because of the fluid getting hot and hence the pedal fade feel.

No, just pedal feel.

As far as EBC red stuff goes, your pads are the same as a regular Contour. So just look up pads for the regular Contour and you'll be fine. Don't even mention it's an SVT or you'll get screwed...even Ford doesn't have it right in their computers.

Oh yeah, you could switch to just Wilwood calipers depending on your budget, instead of switching to totally different rotors and such. Then you will have a much larger selection of pads.
Posted By: SVT JET II Re: Pads for the track - 06/04/03 10:43 PM
That's an interesting suggestion..I never would have thought of that...Begs for some further investigation..Thanks.
Posted By: ibub_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 06/05/03 04:07 AM
porterfield has pads available for both sizes of SVT calipers in street and track compounds. haven't tried them yet, but have heard good things. not cheap, I think around $100.00 for fronts.
Posted By: SVTFern_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 06/05/03 05:40 PM
I just looked in the Porterfield catalogue and I don't see any applications for the Contour. Where did you see this and what is the part #. I am VERY interested in some track pads.

Thx

Fern
Posted By: ibub_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 06/06/03 12:14 AM
Originally posted by SVTFern:
I just looked in the Porterfield catalogue and I don't see any applications for the Contour. Where did you see this and what is the part #. I am VERY interested in some track pads.

Thx

Fern

I did my original web research over a year ago, but here's what I found from my notes: Front, AP762 R4-S, $99.00, rear, AP661 R4-S $69.00. This was from an email from "Wendy" at RaceBrakes.com I sent an inquiry to www.porterfield-brakes.com and I think they forwarded it to racebrakes

If I recall, the fronts listed above are the EO size, and the "-S" indicated street pads. They also listed a phone #, 1-800-537-6842.

good luck, let me know what happens.

Posted By: timeless420_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 06/06/03 06:24 PM
I just got my reply form Wendy at Porterfiled for my application (smaller SVT calipers)

Ok your pads will be a part number
AP 648 R-4 $169.00
The R-4 is our full race pad that can be driven at street temps. Although if used as a daily driver you will only get about 3000 miles out of a set of R-4 pads. They are just not designed to last long at constant cold temps. They will though preform very well on the track.

You could go with our performance street and autocross pad but it does not hold up well under severe track conditions. They are AP 648 R4-S $89.00.
Posted By: Antiramie_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 06/06/03 08:47 PM
Red Stuff pads are available for regular contour applications, so they should work for your car.

www.TireRack.com
Posted By: timeless420_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 06/06/03 09:00 PM
Really...EBC doesn't list them for the Contour )(Except EO SVT) application and I couldn't find them on the tire rack site either
Posted By: SVTFern_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 06/07/03 01:38 AM
Evan is that US$ or Cdn$? I would be very interested for 169$ CDN..... not so sure about in US $. Send me a PM with any other details.

Thx

Fern
Posted By: timeless420_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 06/07/03 05:09 AM
That's US, but it's price is on par with a set of comparable Hawk pads. I think I may be ordering up a set on Monday. I had checked out the mintex site and the temp range for the 1144's didn't do it for mw
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: Pads for the track - 06/09/03 01:26 PM
Originally posted by timeless420:
I just got my reply form Wendy at Porterfiled for my application (smaller SVT calipers)

Ok your pads will be a part number
AP 648 R-4 $169.00
The R-4 is our full race pad that can be driven at street temps. Although if used as a daily driver you will only get about 3000 miles out of a set of R-4 pads. They are just not designed to last long at constant cold temps. They will though preform very well on the track.

You could go with our performance street and autocross pad but it does not hold up well under severe track conditions. They are AP 648 R4-S $89.00.

check out a ALMS/SpeedGT/TC/Trans-Am paddock, Porterfield is seemingly everywhere...good choice
© CEG Archives