Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 TCE brake pics!!! - 04/30/03 12:57 PM
Well, I finally got a chance to install my brakes from TCE this weekend and took plenty of pics. I can't wait to test these things out. There were absolutely no fittment issues on the front or rear. I'm running 16" SSR wheels with a 40mm offset and had plenty of clearance on the fronts both between the outside of the caliper and the wheel and the edge of the caliper and the back of the spokes.

Enjoy.

Thanks again to Todd at TCE for setting me up with a great kit and I hope to get some great use out of them. Keep an eye out for some updates after I've gotten a little track time on them.

Rick
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 04/30/03 01:09 PM
Man those are nice! Wish I could afford them!

warmonger
Posted By: Shaun G_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 04/30/03 03:01 PM
What calipers are those?

Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 04/30/03 03:12 PM
Those are the superlites from Wilwood. Very nice machined aluminum pieces.

Rick
Posted By: Alex T._dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 04/30/03 03:30 PM
Looks sweet!
Posted By: m!key Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 04/30/03 03:30 PM
wow! those look perfect. is that the 13" kit? do the 13s work with 16" wheels? i am going to need some brakes soon.
Posted By: svtzap_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 04/30/03 04:30 PM
What was the cost for just the front setup?
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 04/30/03 04:32 PM
That is the 12.2" kit. I don't think the 13's will work with a 16" rim.

As far as cost goes check out:

TCE Performance
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/01/03 02:30 PM
Rick, this is a family orientated forum. Those brakes are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to sexy to be shown here!!!
Posted By: Krafty_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/01/03 03:24 PM
Every time I see these brakes it makes me want to sell my Baer kit

Why couldn't this option have been there when I needed them?!?!
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/01/03 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Krafty:
Every time I see these brakes it makes me want to sell my Baer kit

Why couldn't this option have been there when I needed them?!?!

Why not sale the Baer kit? Shaun did! The TCE kit is definitely the way to go!
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/02/03 02:34 AM
Well.... because the first time I looked into it in about 96 most of you were making payments and didn't want to invest a grand in your new baby! It's all about timing.
Posted By: svtzap_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/02/03 03:46 AM
im tryin to save my money for the 12.2 front kit. it looks totally wicked. let us know how much better the car stops. it's gotta break like a BMW, put you through the front winshelid, breaks!!!!
Posted By: JaTo_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/02/03 04:38 AM
Nice!

Plenty of clearance front and back without spacers?

I've been on the fence on these for a while. Perhaps this Summer...

Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/02/03 12:48 PM
James, being you've just about got the twin to my car with the rims and everything, stop by and check them out next weekend. I'll be dyno tuning the 10th at 7:30 at MC Racing in Overland Park. There aren't any clearance issues.

Rick
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/02/03 03:26 PM
Rick, are you still using the spacer on the rear of the car? Might check it out just in case the rear caliper has any issues.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/02/03 03:31 PM
Yes I do have the spacer on, but I don't beleive there are any clearance issues there. I do still need to fit up my auto-x rims though and see how bad they are since those are the E0 Rims.

Rick
Posted By: JVT_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/04/03 03:35 PM
No, really, I still love my Baer kit.

I still love my Baer kit.
I still love my Baer ki
I still love my Baer k
I still love my Baer
I still love my Bae
I still love my Ba
I still love my B
I still love my
I still love m
I still love
I still lov
aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhgggggghgahgghagh.

-J
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/05/03 02:26 AM
I can't wait, mine will be installed this coming weekend, if my plans hold together.
Posted By: JaTo_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/05/03 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
James, being you've just about got the twin to my car with the rims and everything, stop by and check them out next weekend. I'll be dyno tuning the 10th at 7:30 at MC Racing in Overland Park. There aren't any clearance issues.

Rick

I'll be there to check the monster out firsthand. Check your PM for a few lingering questions, por favor.
Posted By: woz_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/07/03 02:26 AM
Are you running SS lines? if so what make?
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/07/03 06:52 AM
Originally posted by woz:
Are you running SS lines? if so what make?

Todd supplies Earl's S/S lines with his kits.
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/10/03 12:38 AM
Rick

One question for you, on the rear brake lines, did the fitting that attaches to the hard line, coming from the chassis, have an end to which you could clip back to the chassis? Just wondering as mine don't and I am going to reuse my Aeroquip SS lines instead for now. The supplied Earl's and my Aeroquip lines are the same length too so no issue there. I may as well just reuse my Aeroquip on the front too, as they are a matching set, are also the same length as the Earls, and have the rubber grommets to affix them back to the struts.

Other than that minor detail, these kits are a masterpiece. I like it.
Posted By: timeless420_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/10/03 02:32 AM
Hey Chris.....I may com harss you soon to test and see if my wheels have any clearance issues with the Superlite calipers. I doubt it...but It will be good to check first. You'll have to take me for a spin once they are broken in.
Posted By: mklaro_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/10/03 03:20 AM
that is an awesome setup, one day i will have the money$
one day......
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/11/03 03:03 AM
Click here for more pics. Scroll through the thread.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/12/03 12:19 PM
I actually just left my other stainless lines in place on the rears. On the front, Todd's fit a bit differently than the other's plus I had to take them off to get the caliper off so I went that route.

Rick
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/13/03 04:54 AM
The question of retaining clips threw me for a bit, but upon further look-see, the stock rubber hose has no retaining clip on a male/male hose so the Earl's hoses are the same.

I'll have to check the male/female ones and see what they show.
Originally posted by Todd TCE:
The question of retaining clips threw me for a bit, but upon further look-see, the stock rubber hose has no retaining clip on a male/male hose so the Earl's hoses are the same.

I'll have to check the male/female ones and see what they show.

As per our email conversations, there are fittings with the stock and with Aeroquip SS lines to facilitate the clips. Here are a couple of pics.

Hey Rick (or anyone else that has this kit), I have a question for you. Do you recall what type, and how many of each, bolts and nuts used to fasten the front and rear caliper brackets? My kit only came with 4 bolts and lock nuts for the front, which needed 8 bolts and nuts. The rear kit came with 8 SS button head bolts and 4 lock nuts, which only needed 4 bolts and nuts. The stock rear bracket had to be fastened to the bracket extension using the stock torx bolts, then the SS bolts to hold the new bracket to the spindle.

On the front, there 4 large black hex head bolts/nuts used to fasten the front bracket to the spindle, but that's where the problem started. I was short 4 fasteners for the front. I had to use 4 of the SS button heads, left over from the rear kit, and supply my own locking nuts, to fasten the front caliper to the caliper bracket.

Now the next and more irritating part of the install was the Earl's brake lines. The front ones, and I don't care what length is claimed, were too short. During the install, we had to leave the hard lines off the body and dangling, to attach the new lines and caliper only. Needless to say, when the wheel was fully turned, the lines would stretch, pull on the hard lines, and also touch the tire. Not a good situation. I kept the Aeroquip lines on the car as these were already the correct length and had all the proper fittings.

On the rear, the lines were shorter than Aeroquip lines and the chassis end of the Earl's lines does not have the fitting to facilitate the fastening clip. I kept the Aeroquip lines, again, becuase they have the accomodations for the clip and are the correct length.

After the amount of $$$$ spent, I am pleased with the result, even though these problems existed with my kit.
Chris,

The reas kit used 8 bolts and 4 nuts. The bolts with nuts held the bracket to the hub and then the other 4 bolts went into the caliper (those are the button head ones). On the front I beleive there were 8 bolts and I can't remember offhand how many nuts.

As far as your front lines, the problem is you've got your front bracket in upside down. It will fit and the caliper will fit both ways, but with it upside down your new front lines are about 3" too short. Take a look at the position of the caliper in my pics and you'll see the difference. I found this out after I installed my first caliper and bracket upside down. Oh, and it makes reaching those dang nuts a lot easier too this way!!

Rick
Rick

Here is a picture of my installed front caliper and rotor.

It looks the same as yours, so I would have to say that it was not installed upside down.

I would be interested to know how many bolts you received with your front kit. As I mentioned before, I only received 4 bolts and nuts with the front kit.

Here is a picture of all of the parts that came in my kit. You can clearly see only 4 large bolts in the front kit, not 8 as I was told were in the kit. You can also see how short the front lines are, the ones with the 90 degree fittings.

OK, the caliper appears to be in the right location. Remember though that the new front lines don't follow the same route as the old ones. They go with the line pointing towards the front og the car and then loop directly into the hole in the back side center of the caliper. Basically you bypass all the stuff on the strut now do to the new mounting location on the caliper for the line.

As far as hardware, I'll have to look at mine to verify what came with what since I don't have my car at work today.

Rick
Thanks Rick, for your input. Todd and I have been conversing via email today and we have come to an agreeable conclusion.
Have you determined if the E0 wheels will work?
Sorry, not yet. My race wheels are in storage at my parents farm. I should be picking them up in the next 2 weeks though to figure out any fittment issues.

Rick
Well it seems we're both after the same things except I'd like to use some E1's.

What is the difference in braking effectiveness between the 13" and 12.2" rotor kit? Both use the same caliper and pad; the larger diameter rotor will nominally increase torque and perhaps decrease temps and wear. But aren't we really splitting hairs here?
That was my feeling on the issue, but for specifics we'd need to get Todd to answer that one.

Rick
The larger rotor will increase brake torque but not enough to see any changes in stopping distances. What they will do is absorb more heat increase fade resistance.
I'm on AOL, and out of town so I don't want to open Excel to state the difference in torque but you're correct it is there. The % will remain unknown until I have time to pull it up.

The torque, while valuable, is still limited to the ability of the tire to use it however. The gains are also in the rotor mass and it's ability to manage heat. As we cannot likely fit thicker rotors (they don't do anything for torque) to get the mass up, we can go larger on the diameter to offset some of the increase in heat generated.

Talk it over and I'll get you some numbers if you want them on Sunday. I'm in Nazareth for two days.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/21/03 12:35 PM
Update for those wanting to know about fitment issues with stock E0 wheels. They will not fit without the addition of at least a 10MM spacer. I tried with a 5MM spacer on the car last night and the spokes don't clear the caliper. I've all ready installed longer studs on my front hubs, so I'm not too worried about it. I'll be getting some ordered today so I can run my race tires at the auto-x next weekend.

Rick
Posted By: Paul Kienitz_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/21/03 08:15 PM
Are you talking about the lightweight calipers as the case where it doesn't fit? On the TCE website it seemed to say that stock SVT rims would fit with the other calipers, just not with the lightweight ones. Is that the case?

These rotors are the same size as Focus SVT rotors, right? 12.2" = 310 mm? If that's the case maybe I can fit FSVT rotors inside E0 wheels after all, it just depends on the caliper.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: TCE brake pics!!! - 05/22/03 12:11 PM
I beleive it is just the superlite caliper that won't fit under the E0 rims. The rotor size is 12.2". I will be checking the rears for fitment tonight most likely.

Thanks,
Rick
© CEG Archives