Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: C-Tec finished fsvt conversion ;) - 04/30/03 08:46 AM
ok goes like this... install goes fine i put the shims in and everything.

Test #1
brakes totally fail. (rear brakes bring me to a halt) Turns out lugs hadn't stayed torqued... odd but ok whatever.

Test #2
while turning i hear a brake on rotor sound
while brake at moderate pressure i hear that same sound

oddities:
i dismissed these as the consequence of having a bigger piston now.
brake pedal travel is greater
there is a stripe on the rotor about the width of a sharpie. Circular in shape, leads me to believe the pads are uneven, normal kinda stuff with unevenly cut pads, that will be fixed over time.

Any one with some words of wisdom for the noises? Just want to make sure things are not incorrectly done while it is still reletively unused ;P
Posted By: TGO Re: finished fsvt conversion ;) - 04/30/03 02:42 PM
did you bleed your brakes right?

what kind of specer did you use?

Didn't have ANY of these problems...
Posted By: C-Tec Re: finished fsvt conversion ;) - 04/30/03 04:38 PM
k, i used 1/2" spacers (not thick, but how big the bolt hole is)... the calipers SEEM to be sitting in the right spot. I bled the system.

Another thing, when i got back from my test run the rotors where hot enough to boil water on... cuz they sizzled when i put my finger on them
Posted By: C-Tec Re: finished fsvt conversion ;) - 04/30/03 04:40 PM
ill try rebleeding the brakes... maybe there was still some air (doesn't feel like it though). Im gonna take it out again today and see what it does...
Posted By: MonkeyBiz_dup1 Re: finished fsvt conversion ;) - 04/30/03 04:51 PM
How are the Ford prices on the FSVT brakes compared to similar aftermarket?

Posted By: ElKy Re: finished fsvt conversion ;) - 04/30/03 04:53 PM
rob, search for focus brakes a few months back.
there was a full write up with pics and prices.
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: finished fsvt conversion ;) - 04/30/03 04:59 PM
1/2" is way too large! IIRC we used either a .115" or .118" spacer.
Posted By: C-Tec Re: finished fsvt conversion ;) - 05/01/03 12:28 AM
heh, ok the 1/2" is NOT THE THICKNESS thats how big the bolt hole is... or at least thats what im led to believe. seeing as i compared the other spacers. even if the spacers are to large, that wouldn't explain the noise while turning unless the caliper is unstable and is wobbling around... doubt that.
Posted By: C-Tec Re: finished fsvt conversion ;) - 05/01/03 01:08 AM
measured their thickness... 2mm
Posted By: C-Tec Re: finished fsvt conversion ;) - 05/01/03 01:40 AM
ig you guys dont like to do math, thats .788 inches... looks like i need a THICKER spacer...urfgggg
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: finished fsvt conversion ;) - 05/01/03 02:08 AM
some detailed pics might help here.
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: finished fsvt conversion ;) - 05/01/03 02:41 AM
Agreed, I'm kind of lost here.
Posted By: C-Tec Re: finished fsvt conversion ;) - 05/01/03 03:56 AM
sorry about the bad spacer picture... but it give you an idea

first one is passenger side, second one is the ghetto spacer (2mm), third drivers side
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Re: finished fsvt conversion ;) - 05/01/03 01:05 PM
Ah guys, the spacers you are looking for are 12mm flat washers. sheees. Measure the bolt.

The fact that these are floaters makes the install pretty simlpe as you can pull the caliper more off center as needed as long as the bridge of the caliper clears both sides of the rotor.

When you get your washers take a mic with you to the hardware store and measure them. This way you'll get ones that are the same thickness. (or you can get ground shims from me in various sizes) This will help keep the caliper square to the rotor.

I can also supply you a thin .090" wheel spacer that will cure your problem to the spokes easily.

The piston in the Focus part may be a bit larger, no notes here at home, so the pedal travel will be slightly more if that's the case. But it should firm up down a bit deeper if it's bled properly.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: finished fsvt conversion ;) - 05/01/03 11:07 PM
nevermind....i didn't read all the posts.
Posted By: C-Tec Re: finished fsvt conversion ;) - 05/02/03 12:45 AM
from what it kinda sounds like, i think thats the CALIPER touching the rotor. and thats where the sound while turning comes from... kinda wondering why its while im turning... maybe its cuz of the way the wheels turn... im gonna go snag some 3mm spacers and then update you guys after bleeding it again.
Posted By: C-Tec Re: finished fsvt conversion ;) - 05/02/03 09:47 AM
OOOKkk, i replaced the old spacers with new thicker ones...wonderful, no noises and all is well that ends well. Thanks for the help guys!!
© CEG Archives