Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: LI-SVT Rear rotor removal - 02/11/03 05:15 PM
I did a search first...

There is a bracket which,combined with the caliper, holds the rear pads in place. Does it need to be removed to remove the the rotor? It seems to be in the way. If it has to come out what size are the torx bolts holding it on? I don't have a torx set and don't want to waste money on tools I don't need. Thanks for the help!
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Rear rotor removal - 02/11/03 05:27 PM
Are you talking about on the piston itself?

If so that is the E-brake element and all you need are a pair of needle nose plyers to screw them back in.

If not, where on the caliper?

-Andy
Posted By: Stazi Re: Rear rotor removal - 02/11/03 05:32 PM
Yes, the caliper bracket needs to come of to get the rotor off. From memory I think the Torx bit needs to be a T40 or T45, it's big. And hopefully you can break yours free without an impact gun!
Posted By: LI-SVT Re: Rear rotor removal - 02/11/03 05:47 PM
Thanks for the info. What about a tourch and braker bar? I have more time than money right now.
Posted By: LI-SVT Re: Rear rotor removal - 02/11/03 05:51 PM
Andy,
I was refering to the stationary bracket. When you flip the caliper up the pads are now exposed and can be raplaced. As far as the piston goes I have a tool that goes on a ratchet to spin the piston home.
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Rear rotor removal - 02/11/03 06:24 PM
Oh OK! Sorry. You have a caliper compression tool but no torx bits. A set is about $10!

Advance Auto Parts

-Andy
Posted By: Stazi Re: Rear rotor removal - 02/12/03 02:35 PM
I wouldn't put a torch to brake components, you might melt the piston seal and boot and who knows what!

Impact gun works best.

Remeber, you can depress the rear piston with c-clamp or piston depressing tool, you need to screw it in the the caliper (clockwise). I use a needle nose to do it on the Contours I have done brakes on....
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Rear rotor removal - 02/12/03 03:02 PM
An impact wrench on a torx bit is a recipie for disaster! Torx bits are usually pretty soft!

-Andy
Posted By: LI-SVT Re: Rear rotor removal - 02/12/03 03:28 PM
I didn't realise they were that cheep! I will get a set and get to work. Don't wory if I resort to the torch all of the brake parts will be out of the way.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Rear rotor removal - 02/12/03 07:58 PM
Use a low setting!
Posted By: mySVT_dup1 Re: Rear rotor removal - 02/13/03 03:52 AM
I have discovered after purchsing a few torx bits that the correct bit for the rear caliper on the 1999 svt is a Torx Plus T45. I got the info from the BRAKE PAD REPLACEMENT under the HOW TO section under MODIFICATIONS, that i needed a torx t47 but that definetly did not fit.
Posted By: gdub520_dup1 Re: Rear rotor removal - 02/13/03 11:12 AM
i usually end up buying at least one or two torx bits when i do brakes....there has to be a replacement handy for when the first one strips...and it will most likely
Posted By: mySVT_dup1 Re: Rear rotor removal - 02/14/03 02:58 AM
Yea to be honest when i read that it needed a t47 and it didnt fit i tried to shave it down....unsucessfully that is. Went out bought a t45 and that still didnt fit. So until i found out it was a torx plus i purchased a few.
Posted By: mamisano_dup1 Re: Rear rotor removal - 02/28/03 06:06 PM
Originally posted by mySVT:
Yea to be honest when i read that it needed a t47 and it didnt fit i tried to shave it down....unsucessfully that is. Went out bought a t45 and that still didnt fit. So until i found out it was a torx plus i purchased a few.

So, if I go to Sears, will they know what a Torx plus is? I am looking to do my brakes in the next few weeks
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Rear rotor removal - 02/28/03 06:48 PM
Torx is fine you don't need a plus bit! I believe plus is just another name for tamper proof torx bits! The have hollow tips!

-Andy
Posted By: SpeedTeufel Re: Rear rotor removal - 03/01/03 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Stazi the Aussie:
Yes, the caliper bracket needs to come of to get the rotor off. From memory I think the Torx bit needs to be a T40 or T45, it's big. And hopefully you can break yours free without an impact gun!

I just did my brakes and I used a T47 which work fine for me, Also a braker bar. The whole set of 10 Star sockets cost me 14.00 at a local carparts store and if your worried about em braking most quality tools today have a lifetime return policy.
Have fun
© CEG Archives