Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: whitegt Baer 12'' Brake Kit - 09/24/02 03:54 AM
I was thinking of ordering this kit for my car because I like the stock wheels. But, where do I buy replacement pads later on down the road? The factory pads dont fit right? Oh and also what options are really worth it? All of them? Thanks.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Baer 12'' Brake Kit - 09/24/02 04:32 AM
go with the wilwood's, they're a little more, but lighter, and their pad options are more (I have the BAER's, I think we only get the options available THROUGH BAER). . .check out http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com

he helps out the ceger's.

Posted By: Krafty_dup1 Re: Baer 12'' Brake Kit - 09/24/02 05:03 AM
You can buy pads for the Baers anywhere they sell SVT Cobra brake pads (which is prolly damn near everywhere), since the calipers for our Baer kit are essentially just Cobra calipers (PBR). There are a lot of brake pad choices for these calipers all the way from economy to full out race style pads.

HTH

Oh and BTW, I would personally go with wilwoods if I could do it all over again...can't beat the fact that you would be substantially lowering unsprung weight. Vitally important? No, but every little bit counts!
Posted By: Pascal_dup1 Re: Baer 12'' Brake Kit - 09/24/02 07:43 PM
One last little note.. The Baer 12" kit does NOT clear the spokes of either SVT wheels (EO or E1). Need a spacer.
Posted By: whitegt Re: Baer 12'' Brake Kit - 09/25/02 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Pascal:
One last little note.. The Baer 12" kit does NOT clear the spokes of either SVT wheels (EO or E1). Need a spacer.
AH Damn! Will the Focus SVT wheels clear? If so thats the only option.
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Baer 12'' Brake Kit - 09/25/02 12:38 PM
Most 17" wheels clear the Willwoods without spacers. My 17" Superior Scoundrels, Cobra style knock offs, clear them just fine! The same should go for the Baer.

-Andy
Posted By: Bradness_dup1 Re: Baer 12'' Brake Kit - 09/26/02 06:52 PM
Buy the Wilwoods as long as you understand that they're not meant as a roadworthy unit (race only). They DO NOT have integral dust seals/boots on the pistons. This means you'll be rebuilding them on a regular basis, more so if you drive in dusty or salty, slushy winter type conditions. Racers tear down their complete cars after each session (practice, qualifying and race). This includes the brakes. Caveat emptor.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Baer 12'' Brake Kit - 09/26/02 09:05 PM
interesting and valid point, didn't realize that, makes me grateful for my decision . . .
Posted By: whitegt Re: Baer 12'' Brake Kit - 09/26/02 09:45 PM
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
interesting and valid point, didn't realize that, makes me grateful for my decision . . .
Yeah now that I hear that I will probobly stick with the Baer. So will those SVTF wheels clear the 13" Baer kit?
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Re: Baer 12'' Brake Kit - 09/27/02 02:41 AM
Purchase as you choose, but be advised that the dust boot issue has been around for years. They don't have quite the impact as some would wish you to think. I have many customers in the bad weather states who do not rebuild their calipers constantly. I've shipped out but a few parts over the years for folks. One Impala owner in the NE is needing new rotors on his car. That's with over 100,000 miles on them. No caliper parts needed. Yea, even I'm surprised at this one. BTW, are you considering 'track days' with the car? Dust boots will vaporize when they get that hot. Forgot to mention that part? lt works both ways...
Posted By: whitegt Re: Baer 12'' Brake Kit - 09/27/02 05:18 AM
dust boot? I am new at this brake stuff. Yes track days will be in order. And you are talking about the Baer kit right?
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Brake comparrison info - 09/27/02 01:24 PM
Try this.
Just to let you know that all of this has been around for years, this was written up maybe 6 years ago.

http://www.shotimes.com/php-bin/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0&sid=188
Posted By: Bradness_dup1 Re: Baer 12'' Brake Kit - 09/30/02 04:26 PM
Todd TCE: Don't know what kind of dust boots/seals you're used to using but the ones we use DO NOT vaporize. They're special high temp materials-of which I can't recall the name. I can find out though.

Wilwood calipers are NOT street legal either. Get in an accident and have your insurance co. turn down your claim due to installation of non DOT/street legal parts? The potential liability could easily lead to bankruptcy or worse...(& I'm no lawyer). You might, but I won't take that chance.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Baer 12'' Brake Kit - 09/30/02 04:49 PM
you'll need 17's to clear the 13in rotors on those, and possibly spacers if the wheel shape is iffy. . .

I don't know about the dust-boot situation on the wilwoods, but the calipers on my BAER are totally covered and sealed, so I don't know if there could be any corrosion in that arena or whether they boots would vaporize. Haven't used them at the track yet, though.
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Comparrisons - 10/01/02 02:23 AM
Interesting comments on the issues. No arguments from me on your position. I've seen the stock PBR parts toasted, but it was some time ago and perhaps there have been improvements here. I don't much see the dust boots being that big a deal, but it comes up. I consider all the calipers run in weekly racing which are not sealed in this manner from many manufactures. They, like on my own car in the dirt, hold up just fine. I can't comment on what is legal in calipers. I understand your position, but I'll also bet that I'll find Zenon bulbs, euro lights and cat -less exhausts etc. that you may sell that carry the same results. I selll the Wilwoods as racing applications, and the disclaimer of warranty and use up front and open. This is further stated on the calipers from Wilwood. Like any aftermarket part, it's up to the purchaser to determine the suitability of the purchase to his local codes, needs, and application.
Posted By: RichSVT_dup1 Re: Comparrisons - 10/01/02 07:31 PM
so which brake upgrade would be DOT aproved and clear the SVT wheels?
Posted By: whitegt Re: Comparrisons - 10/02/02 05:18 AM
So I guess for a street/track setup the 13" Baer brake kit with the 17" SVTF wheels would work out fine? Oh and one more thing has anyone made brake ducting for cooling purposes?
© CEG Archives