Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: delmar_dup1 "hypothetical" question... breakage - 09/22/02 07:43 PM
ok, so let's say... hypothetically... I'm bleeding my brakes and clutch today, and hypothetically, after finishing the clutch and the LF/RR circuit, I'm attempting to loosen the bleeder screw on the RF brake, and the bleeder screw snaps off because it's seized. Hypothetically.

How big a deal is this? In order to bleed the breaks now, will I need to replace the caliper, or can the bleeder screw be drilled out and re-threaded?

There is no fluid leaking from the snapped screw, so it must be seized pretty good.
Posted By: geoffct_dup1 Re: "hypothetical" question... breakage - 09/22/02 08:15 PM
Usually you can use an Ezy-Out (or broken bolt extractor), at least I have used them for broken head bolts (fun). I would however wonder if the bleed channel might cause you some trouble when you are drilling the hole for the Ezy-Out. Anyway you will definately need to caliper off to work on it, and you will definately need a new bleeder screw, maybe it time to upgrade to speed-bleeders. Good luck!
Actually, hole in center (Bleed Channel) is a good guide if you need to drill for the EZ out.
Posted By: delmar_dup1 Re: "hypothetical" question... breakage - 09/22/02 10:16 PM
so how difficult is it to remove the caliper?
Posted By: bmxcontour Re: "hypothetical" question... breakage - 09/22/02 11:51 PM
In reply to:

so how difficult is it to remove the caliper?
easy. just take the brake line off and unbolt it. once you are under there looking at it it is pretty much self explanetory(sp?). well it was for me.

Ben
Posted By: delmar_dup1 Re: "hypothetical" question... breakage - 09/23/02 01:04 PM
where can I get an "e-z out", and appx. how much are they?
Hardware store, Sears, Automotive Parts store. Also called screw extractors. They look a a tap but instead of threads, they have a reverse spiral (kind of like a drill bit) that jams into a hole you drilled. Allows you to back the screw/broken bleeder out.

Not expensive, but get better ones,. The cheap ones break and just compound the problem.

Harbor Freight Cheap Set

Posted By: delmar_dup1 Re: "hypothetical" question... breakage - 09/23/02 02:02 PM
thanks for the help - much appreciated. I was just looking at these on craftsman.com and wasn't sure if they were the right ones. Now I'll have to see in we have those up here in Canuck Land.
I'd advise you by-pass the 'taper' type extractors and get a 'drive in' spline type.The taper type tend to spread the bolt/bleeder etc and make it even harder to get out......
Wasn't thinking ....Terry's right. Though they require a little more searching.

There are another type, with integral drill bit. You use them in your drill, reverse direction. The drill hole, thread themselves into the hole, then extract the screw. Forgot the name, but they looked pretty good. Check a machine shop supplier.
Delmar: Where in Burlington are you? I'm in Aldershot and on your particular problem I've "been there, done that". If we still have it, PM me. Otherwise, email me at tech@performancefords.com.
© CEG Archives