Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: chezterr Advice on Brake Fluid - 01/09/02 03:19 PM
Can any one please give me some advice as to which brake fluid to use in my car? It is time for me to replace the stock fluid, and I dont mind spending good money for the better stuff. I will be going to an Open Track day at a local 2 mile road course, so i need to put some stuff in the car that will handle that load.

Nikolas
Posted By: bcandiloro Re: Advice on Brake Fluid - 01/09/02 06:22 PM
I would recommend the ATE Super Blue racing fluid. it works great, and has a high wet/dry boiling points. plus it is blue, so you can easily tell when your lines are completely bled. They also have a gold/orange color fluid with the same properties for the next time you bleed the lines... clever. I've used this at a two-day track event with no problems. Usually about $9 bucks a quart though I've seen it on sale for $5.
Posted By: mangler Re: Advice on Brake Fluid - 01/10/02 05:10 AM
Soon enough Jim should chime in pimping the ford heavy duty DOT3...
Posted By: DemonSVT Re: Advice on Brake Fluid - 01/12/02 05:27 AM
Valvoline SynPower Dot 4
Posted By: JSmith Re: Advice on Brake Fluid - 01/13/02 05:36 AM
I thought DOT3 and DOT4 are not compatible with eachother and therefore can not be mixed.
Posted By: ExDelayed Re: Advice on Brake Fluid - 01/13/02 07:34 AM
They would be compatible. Pointless to use the advantages of the DOT 4 if there is DOT 3 in with it though.
Posted By: Big Jim Re: Advice on Brake Fluid - 01/13/02 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JSmith:
I thought DOT3 and DOT4 are not compatible with eachother and therefore can not be mixed.

DOT 5 is the one that is not compatable with the others. DOT 3 and DOT 4 are completely compatable, but mixing them would make the resulting fluid something in between, probably closer to DOT 3. If you do a thorough flush, there would not be enough mixing to worry about.
© CEG Archives