Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: zetec herman Confused on front brake job - 08/20/06 08:23 PM
I'm working on changing my front rotors and pads. It states in the Haynes repair manual to "remove the guide bolts securing the caliper to the carrier bracket" by using a 7 mm Allen Key. We tried this and the bolts won't budge. Well, I think my dad missed a step beforehand. The first step in the book says to "pry the retaining clip from the caliper." My grandpa said that clip does not get removed, but I think so. We were wondering if a special tool, such as an impact wrench was necessary to remove the guide bolts because they are so tight. Does anyone think it would be all right to use a propane torch to heat them up. I'm so confused. Or does the retaining clip produce a force on the guide bolts that would make it impossible to remove without first removing the retaining clip?

Sorry for the confusing post.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Confused on front brake job - 08/20/06 09:21 PM
Just remove those two bolts that hold the whole caliper bracket on. I think they were about 15mm on my car.
Posted By: LoveMySVT Re: Confused on front brake job - 08/20/06 11:03 PM
The guide bolts in the caliper require a 7mm allen wrench. I used an allen socket with a ratchet for more torque. It would probably be pretty hard with an allen wrench. I would not try to heat the guide bolts because they are inside the rubber bushings. The spring clip will need to be removed, not necessarily to take the guide bolts out but to take the caliper off of the bracket. You can just pry the clip off with a screw driver.

kremithefrog: I beleive you are refuring to the bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the knuckle. Those are 15mm bolts.

- Chris
Posted By: zetec herman Re: Confused on front brake job - 08/21/06 03:03 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will try again tommorow
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Confused on front brake job - 08/21/06 03:51 AM
Originally posted by LoveMySVT:

kremithefrog: I beleive you are refuring to the bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the knuckle. Those are 15mm bolts.

I am. Which is what he needs to remove to replace the rotors. The pads can be changed with the caliper still on the bracket if the bracket is off the rotor. Otherwise he'd have to remove a guide pin and the spring and do it like that.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: Confused on front brake job - 08/21/06 10:17 PM
Yeah, it's a lot easier to take the whole caliper and bracket off together; then pull the pads out.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Confused on front brake job - 08/22/06 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:
Yeah, it's a lot easier to take the whole caliper and bracket off together; then pull the pads out.

Yes, but you should service the guide pins while you're in there, anyway. Either clean and relube, or replace the pin with a new one if it's pitted. Put new bushings in, too. To do this job properly, that 7mm allen bolt is going to have to come out.

I used an allen socket, as well, so I could torque it properly on reassembly. No problems for me, but then I'm south of the snow belt and my car has been garaged its whole life. YMMV.
Posted By: zetec herman Re: Confused on front brake job - 08/24/06 12:53 AM
I'm going to let the garage look at it tommorrow. It needs an inspection anyway. Anther friend told me to soak it in WD-40 for about an hour.

Thank's for everyone' advice.
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: Confused on front brake job - 08/30/06 12:38 PM
WD40 won't do it. PB Blaster (or, for us Canucks, Liquid Wrench) will work.

Also, try using 7 mm key head for a ratchet. That helps.

Another trick is to tap the allen wrench or ratchet with a hammer. You don't have to beat on it, but firmly tap it. That usually works on the ones that I can't get with hand strength alone.
© CEG Archives