Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: lubas79 caaliper size - 01/08/06 01:36 AM
does regural contour has the same size of front caliper as svt
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: caaliper size - 01/08/06 03:19 AM
E0 and some E1 SVT's have larger calipers. Ford then switch to smaller calipers for certain 1998.5. Early 1999 models up to 5/99 went back to larger calipers again, then later models all the way up to 2000 switched back to standard calipers.
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Re: caaliper size - 01/08/06 04:41 PM
If I may ask;

What are "smaller", "larger" and "standard" sizes?

Are we speaking of body size? Piston size? Pad size? Rotor fit size?
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: caaliper size - 01/08/06 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Todd TCE:
If I may ask;

What are "smaller", "larger" and "standard" sizes?

Are we speaking of body size? Piston size? Pad size? Rotor fit size?

Yeah, I know I used complete wrong wording, so you can clear it up if you want.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: caaliper size - 01/09/06 03:44 AM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
E0 and some E1 SVT's have larger calipers. Ford then switch to smaller calipers for certain 1998.5. Early 1999 models up to 5/99 went back to larger calipers again, then later models all the way up to 2000 switched back to standard calipers.

There is certainly a lot of confusion about when Ford changed calipers on the SVT. Also I'm not sure if I would call the early SVT calipers bigger, but they are different. The early and late use different pads, and the early pad does cover slightly more of the rotor toward the center so maybe that could be called bigger. The late SVT (same as non SVT) covers a longer portion of the rotor by a slight bit, so I guess that one could also be called bigger, at least in that respect.

The date of the changeover is not well documented by Ford. Their catalog says the chageover date is 6/99. A survey taken here at CEG a few years back shows that it was much earlier, perhaps as early as 2/98, which would also be the changover date of E0 to E1.

Although I have heard rumors that Ford switched back and forth, or mixed a few early style one back in after the switch, I have never been able to pin it down, and I believe that they did not.
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Re: caaliper size - 01/09/06 09:54 PM
Where they known to have the same piston sizes Jim? Just curious as I have only one in my files.

ATE and Bosch or the like?
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: caaliper size - 01/09/06 11:18 PM
I don't know if they have the same piston size, but I suspect that they do. The calipers for both early SVT and others are ATE IIRC.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: caaliper size - 01/11/06 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Big Jim:

Although I have heard rumors that Ford switched back and forth, or mixed a few early style one back in after the switch, I have never been able to pin it down, and I believe that they did not.

I would guess they would use whatever they had in there parts bin. I Bet they switched, and then they found a case of old ones lying around, So they used those.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: caaliper size - 01/17/06 04:41 PM
Originally posted by dubkatz:
Originally posted by Big Jim:

I would guess they would use whatever they had in there parts bin. I Bet they switched, and then they found a case of old ones lying around, So they used those.

It's very possible thats exactly what happened. I used to work for a company that made and supplied Ford with many misc parts including the 2.5 Timing cover and cam covers, as well as the 3.0 Timing cover and cam covers. We sometimes had parts that were cast 6-12 months before we actually machined them, and others that were machined and sat in some dark corner of the plant for a long time. So to say that Ford recieved an excess amount at one time, then stumbled back upon them months or ever a year later and used them...is not as unlikely as it seems.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: caaliper size - 01/22/06 03:37 PM
werent the early svt calipers also used on a cosworth car in europe?
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: caaliper size - 01/23/06 04:57 AM
Somewhere I read that there were from a Mondeo, but I know nothing more about the application.
© CEG Archives