Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: hanknum_dup1 Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/06/05 06:53 AM
Hi guys,

Have any of you tried the drilled/slotted brake rotors that are currently on ebay right now? It seems a front & rear set run around $130. From what I've read, these will not improve braking performance significantly (or at all). But, what I want to know is will these make the braking any worse? These on a street application appear to be mostly cosmetic. But, that's seems pretty cheap as long as they don't make the braking any worse.

Thanks

Henry
Posted By: Aspire Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/06/05 07:18 AM
I bought some of those rotors from a company in Anaheim CA and have had no problems. Well, they are not as rust proof as they would have had me believe. Otherwise they have been fine
Posted By: weargle Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/06/05 07:32 PM
Cross-drilled and/or slotted rotors are a joke.

I give you this: http://corner-carvers.com/altimathread.php.html
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/06/05 08:19 PM
That thread is hilarious!!
Posted By: mcfast Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/07/05 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Aspire:
I bought some of those rotors from a company in Anaheim CA and have had no problems. Well, they are not as rust proof as they would have had me believe. Otherwise they have been fine

+1
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/07/05 05:37 AM
I have a set. I did it for looks. I know that they do nothing for the braking. I have had them on for about a year and have had no problems.
Posted By: hotblack98 Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/07/05 06:32 AM
I bought the front rotors off ebay from a company named I-Rotors out in Cali. I only paid $60 shipped. I am really happy with the way they look now if I can only find the rears that cheap.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/07/05 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Hdbngr8:
That thread is hilarious!!

W3rd!

Some of those stupid mutherflankers on there just made me want to break sh!t, reading this misinformed, hyped-up, factless drivel.

Talk about stupid/gullible and just plain ignorant!

x-drilled and slotted rotors are for posers - end of story.
Posted By: hanknum_dup1 Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/08/05 06:41 AM
If it wasn't clear, I'm looking to do this for aesthetic reasons only. I know it will probably not improve my braking, but I just want to make sure that it doesn't hurt my braking either.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/08/05 03:16 PM
If you like cracking rotors and crappy pad life with ZERO improvement in braking, and possible catastrophic brake failure - go for it. Absolutely pointless and a waste of money - only high school kids will think it's cool.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/08/05 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
- only high school kids will think it's cool.

hahaha
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/08/05 05:33 PM
I'm not in highschool and I think it looks cool. Straight up. just looks better.
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/08/05 05:37 PM
I think he meant that applies to junior high school, too!

j/k
Posted By: Stazi Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/08/05 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Tourgasm:
I'm not in highschool and I think it looks cool. Straight up. just looks better.

Bling sells - even if it's sh!t
Posted By: hanknum_dup1 Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/09/05 06:29 AM
If you like cracking rotors and crappy pad life with ZERO improvement in braking, and possible catastrophic brake failure - go for it. Absolutely pointless and a waste of money - only high school kids will think it's cool.

Wow, why the hostility? Nothing wrong with being opinionated, but gosh.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/09/05 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
- only high school kids will think it's cool.

hahaha

Maybe I found my Fountain of Youth.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/09/05 02:14 PM
Originally posted by hanknum:

Wow, why the hostility? Nothing wrong with being opinionated, but gosh.

You asked a question - you got responses and then seemingly ignored the responses - hence my attitude.

All you care about is that you look "kewl and TiZZitE, yo!" - and don't seem to care if it makes braking worse, and even hazardous. Don't get upset when you don't like what you hear - try using the factual info to your benefit and make an insightful deicision on your purchases!
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/09/05 04:28 PM
I know drilled/slotted rotors do nothing at all, but I still bought them. I was a little worried at first thinking they would be trashed in no time.

But it's been almost 2 years now, and nothing is showing signs of needed replacement. Stops just like new. I'm running EBC Sport rotors and Mintex A/F pads. Poor mans kit.
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/09/05 04:30 PM
Those Mintex pads SUCK!
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/09/05 04:37 PM
Originally posted by weargle:
Cross-drilled and/or slotted rotors are a joke.

I give you this: http://corner-carvers.com/altimathread.php.html

<---thanks lucky stars CEG doesn't have a brake vendor selling bling while calling it performance
Posted By: Chris Shepley Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/09/05 07:46 PM
Slotted rotors do have their place. They do allow brakes to heat up moire quickly by slicing into the pad. This can be very important under some circumstances, like a sprint race in a kart. For the street, this is useless, but they have their place.
Posted By: hotblack98 Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/10/05 02:50 AM

So what is this catastrophic brake failure you are talking about... I would really like to know. I dont really understand why 9 out of 10 questions get answered with search or stupid newbie....Just my two cents.
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/10/05 03:25 AM
Because holes in the rotors are stress raisers - this is where cracks start from. And have you seen the results from a cracked rotor? In the wall (or car, truck, etc.) you go.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/10/05 05:01 AM
Those Mintex pads SUCK!

For who, and compared to what?

I go to work and back. I don't race my car, don't autocross. Why do I need anything else?

Stops better than a stock SVT so how could I loose?
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/10/05 01:29 PM
For me, they sucked. You would have been better off w/ Stazi's kit.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/10/05 03:25 PM
For me, they sucked. You would have been better off w/ Stazi's kit.

But that's my next kit anyways. At the time when I bought my kit from BAT, I didn't know about Stazi's kit.
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/10/05 04:22 PM
Then you are forgiven
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Ebay Drilled/Slotted Rotors - 12/11/05 09:12 PM
my stazi kit is worn out now..I'm debating big brakes or just to go with stazi's once again
© CEG Archives