Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: dbird_dup1 rear brake pads on 96 contour - 10/19/05 04:08 AM
i got a 96 contour and need to replace the rear pads.. had to leave home and tools and all my books on this car... in another state... i need to know how to get the rear pads off... do i use a 7 mm hex socket... to remove the pins holding the pads????? and how to i get the pistons to go back into the calipers??? how about a pair of needle nose pliers all i got with me is a cheaap $16 set of walmart tools,, lost every thing in the katrina hurricane in south louisian... thanks for a reply..... djbird@sprynet.com
Posted By: Tourige Re: rear brake pads on 96 contour - 10/19/05 04:39 AM
The rears require that you screw the pistons back in when you done changing the pads, as for removing them... a lot of pounding with a hammer will do, esecially if they are all crusted like mine were
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: rear brake pads on 96 contour - 10/19/05 04:40 AM
You will need a screwdriver to pry off the retaining clip from the top of the caliper.

I think I remember using a 7MM allen on the retaining pin. I think I remember that some of the FRONT calipers use a 47 Torx, but my memory could be faulty. Once the retaining pin is removed, you can pivot the caliper up from the other pin to remove the pads.

I use long nose pliers to turn the pistons back into the calipers.

If you need to remove the rotors to replace or refinish, you will need to remove the other caliper pin (the one that the caliper pivoted on) and then lift the caliper away to get the rotor off.
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: rear brake pads on 96 contour - 10/19/05 06:19 AM
its gonna be a [censored] tryin to take the brake drum out
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: rear brake pads on 96 contour - 10/19/05 06:22 AM
Originally posted by contourfreak22:
its gonna be a [censored] tryin to take the brake drum out

What ya mean?
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: rear brake pads on 96 contour - 10/19/05 04:13 PM
that [censored] just doesnt slide out. i remember we did ours and it was like stuck on there. the wheel was even turning freely too.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: rear brake pads on 96 contour - 10/19/05 04:24 PM
Well this is about changing pads. That means no drum.
And drums are easy to take off, a couple hits with a BFH and off it comes.
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: rear brake pads on 96 contour - 10/19/05 04:48 PM
oh crap my bad dunno where i got the rear brakes from? anyways proceed.
Posted By: dbird_dup1 Re: rear brake pads on 96 contour - 10/20/05 01:00 PM
thanks for the help.. appreicate it....feel kinda naked without tools, and manauals, cd on the car....
© CEG Archives