Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: The Mad Ugly SVT new brakes squeaking - 08/25/05 11:49 PM
just like the title says, i just replaced my front pads and rotors and about 3 weeks later my brakes are squeeking really bad. whats wrong?

also, how do i disconnect my ABS?
Posted By: DESIGN Re: new brakes squeaking - 08/26/05 01:50 AM
Did you use brake lube between the pads and calipers? On a recent brake job I did (on another car) this made all the difference in the world.
Posted By: The Mad Ugly SVT Re: new brakes squeaking - 08/27/05 03:00 AM
nope cant say that i did. thanks. is it too late to do it or do i need new pads and rotors again?
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: new brakes squeaking - 08/27/05 03:45 AM
It shouldn't be too late.

Proper lubrication is what sets a so so brake job apart from a great brake job.

Proper lubrication for minimizing brake squeel includes using anti-sieze between the hubs and the rotors. It also includes making sure that the caliper slide pins are not sticky and are well lubricated. Finally, it includes lubricating every part of the pad backing plate that touches the caliper, especially the edges that need to slide.

Junk pads tend to be noisier, but even with them if the rotors are fresh and everything is free and properly lubricated, there will be minimum noise.
Posted By: csvt99 Re: new brakes squeaking - 08/27/05 11:53 AM
Same thing happened to me, I replaced pads, rotors, and calipers in the front, and they started squeaking right away and I was like "what the heck??". So I said something to my mechanic and he said he might have forgotten to insulate them with that lube, so he took them back off and lubed/insulated the pads and they've been fine ever since.
© CEG Archives