Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: lizard oops - 08/07/05 11:23 PM
ok how do brakes catch on fire yes my rotor was bright orange but what can catch on fire. i kno my rotor is prolly warped again but that just means svt brakes soon. but anyway oops my brakes caught on fire!!!!
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: oops - 08/08/05 02:52 AM
I would check for sticking slider pins, or bound emergency brake cable, etc.

Ray
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: oops - 08/08/05 01:53 PM
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: oops - 08/08/05 08:20 PM
I caught my SHO on fire due to stuck slider pins on the rear calipers. I believe it's the grease in the bearings or the hose itself that catch fire.

Originally posted by Ray:
I would check for sticking slider pins,

Posted By: lizard Re: oops - 08/09/05 04:05 AM
i found out a possible cause that retaining springt wasnt there and i was driving really hard( i was pissed) but everything is fixed and my rotor isnt warped, too bad
Posted By: Stazi Re: oops - 08/09/05 12:43 PM
ghettoooooooooooooooooooooo
Posted By: lizard Re: oops - 08/09/05 08:49 PM
hey you just want me to buy brakes from you. lol
and i might have to
Posted By: Stazi Re: oops - 08/10/05 01:47 AM
"Not warped too bad" is an oxymoronic comment - hence may calling it ghetto.

I got brakes if you need 'em.
Posted By: lizard Re: oops - 08/14/05 04:56 AM
i dont think i do after driving it a while i dont think my rotors are even warped. and i know what warped rotors are like. im on my 3rd set i think but im not going there.
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Re: oops - 08/14/05 04:21 PM
Originally posted by lizard:
ok how do brakes catch on fire yes my rotor was bright orange but what can catch on fire.

Rubber boots.
O rings.
Paint on the pad plate.
Grease on sliders.
Dust- brake dust and paint dust.
Posted By: paul martin_dup1 Re: oops - 08/14/05 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
ghettoooooooooooooooooooooo

Posted By: SonofSHO Re: oops - 08/23/05 06:56 AM
Originally posted by lizard:
ok how do brakes catch on fire yes my rotor was bright orange but what can catch on fire. i kno my rotor is prolly warped again but that just means svt brakes soon. but anyway oops my brakes caught on fire!!!!

I have actually seen the pads catch on fire if there is a significant drag.

I had my Left rear smoking this morning. The plunger for the parking brake is rusted and siezed where is passes through the caliper. Can't get it freed up.
Posted By: Stazi Re: oops - 08/23/05 12:56 PM
Spray a ton of PB blaster into the sleeve and see if that helps, although you may have jammed it and it may need to be replaced.
Posted By: SonofSHO Re: oops - 08/25/05 05:55 AM
I got her unstuck, had to take the piston out and drive it out. There are 5 conical washers that act as a return spring for the plunger, they were all rusted and stuck together.

The funny thing is, now my car has some of the lost pep that I had been missing for months. I wonder how long this rear brake has been dragging? Likely since I bought the car in February.
© CEG Archives