Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Tisby Help me stop the stupidity... - 08/01/05 06:41 PM
I recently found out that one of my (idoitic) friends rotates his brake pads. He'll move the rear pads to the front when the front one's wear out and replace the rears. His justification is that the pads don't get too old that way, because the front's wear out faster. I told him it was a waste of his time because he doesn't always replace the rotors and he never moves the rotor with the pads. I also thought that the way the front/rear brakes are applied are different. Please tell me I'm right...
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Help me stop the stupidity... - 08/01/05 06:45 PM
That's only going to work if the front and rear pads are the same size and have the same mounting. And even if they did, so what? Just replace the fronts more often. I think you need to your friend.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Help me stop the stupidity... - 08/01/05 06:50 PM
I think natural selection will work much faster.
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Help me stop the stupidity... - 08/01/05 06:53 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
I think natural selection will work much faster.

Posted By: sail114 Re: Help me stop the stupidity... - 08/01/05 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Hdbngr8:
That's only going to work if the front and rear pads are the same size and have the same mounting. And even if they did, so what? Just replace the fronts more often. I think you need to your friend.

Not to mention the fact that our rear pads are organic... which would get chewed up uber-fast on the front.

Man, who ever told him to rotate brake pads?????
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Help me stop the stupidity... - 08/01/05 07:00 PM
Maybe the same guy who told him to rotate his spark plugs
Posted By: Stazi Re: Help me stop the stupidity... - 08/01/05 07:21 PM
What car uses the same from and rear pads? I think he's pulling your leg.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Help me stop the stupidity... - 08/01/05 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Hdbngr8:
Maybe the same guy who told him to rotate his spark plugs

Mark
Posted By: 98Ford2L Re: Help me stop the stupidity... - 08/01/05 09:40 PM
He should probably rotate his lugs nuts too while he's at it.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Help me stop the stupidity... - 08/01/05 09:41 PM
Rotating my brake pads would help my weight distribution since the lighter pads would now be on the front.

Posted By: Tisby Re: Help me stop the stupidity... - 08/01/05 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:

I have yet to verify that he's actually doing this, so that remains a possibilty.
Posted By: Tisby The stupidity continues... - 08/18/05 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Tisby:
Originally posted by Stazi:

I have yet to verify that he's actually doing this, so that remains a possibilty.

I went over there today and he was actually doing it! The thing I don't understand is he's actually extremely intelligent, just clearly not in the brake maint. deptartment. Is there any safety argument I can use? I tried explaining the fruitlessness of it and he didn't really seem fazed by it.
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Re: The stupidity continues... - 08/18/05 01:30 AM
Hmm.

Actually this is a pretty common practice in race car prep. Assuming both ends of the car share the same pad plate and compound it's a fine way of saving some coin. Seeing that the wear rate is about 2:1 or maybe 3:1 it works quite well.

That being said, I doubt it will work out too well on most street cars due to the pad plate.
© CEG Archives