Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: DESIGN bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/01/05 05:35 PM
BAT inc offers an brake upgrade kit for us small rotor zetec guys. It basically consists of the larger 278mm rotors, brackets that will move my existing caliper â??outâ?, and their pads. My question: is it worth the 350 bucks? I donâ??t auto-x or have any need to show off big brakes. I do want a little better braking however and that is why I was thinking about the kit. For my application would it be just as acceptable to buy some really good pads and upgrade the lines to the BAT steel lines?

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions on this. I will be buying the BAT strut & spring kit and know that this will have a positive impact on my braking. My old and most likely stock springs and struts are toasted. I will also be getting new lower ball joints.
Posted By: sail114 Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/01/05 05:57 PM
My personal opinion on the price is: no, it's not worth it. If you find a set of caliper brackets from a 98.5+ SVT or a 99+ Cougar (w/ the larger brakes), then you can simply buy the rotors and pads of your choosing. I was able to do the entire setup using (fairly) new EO calipers, Brembo rotors, and Bendix TiMetallic pads for about $220. Even if you needed to buy the brackets from Ford, that would only drive your total cost to maybe $280ish.

The size difference is definitely noticeable though... and a great upgrade.

Posted By: sail114 Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/01/05 06:01 PM
Oh, and PM Stazi for his brakes. I don't have them, but everyone here highly recommends them, and the prices are competitive.
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/01/05 06:14 PM
If you're not going to use the bigger brakes (i.e. auto-x, open track, etc.) I would not spend the money. There are some very good pads out there that will give you a noticeable improvement in performance.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/02/05 01:17 PM
The brackets from Ford are not cheap. I think they are up around $175.00. Some have posted that they have found used Cougar brackets from a wrecking yard for much less.
Posted By: DESIGN Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/02/05 04:25 PM
So is the consensus that it is worth upgrading the rotor size even though I won't be doing any competitive driving? I mean worth it over the stock rotor, really good pads, and braided steel lines?
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/02/05 04:31 PM
I say no, it's not worth it.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/02/05 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Hdbngr8:
I say no, it's not worth it.

Likely correct, but let me qualify that....

If you've done anything that might hamper your braking ability, like 17" or larger wheels & their greater rotational inertia, you might consider the upgrade to get you back to stock or better braking performance.

One thing I was considering was the FSVT 300mm front brake upgrade. Seemed a significant benefit for the money. I still worry about the spacers required & will request a report from one of our CEGer friends soon.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/03/05 03:54 PM
i upgraded to the e0 calipars...and there is a difference..and worth it..350 worth it? prob not..if you can do if for around 200 than i'd say yes...
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/04/05 12:52 PM
Focus swap! Best bang for the $.
Posted By: DESIGN Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/04/05 03:06 PM
Don't you have to add a spacer to the hub for the wheels to fit? I have EOs on and I really don't like the idea of a spacer or different wheels (read blowing my budget) on a focus swap. What is the cost of a focus swap anyway?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/04/05 04:17 PM
Spacer? No! You need 3mm of hardened steel washers to go between the knuckle and the caliper bracket to center the caliper and that's it.

2M5Z-2B120-AA List $173.35 CEG $130.01 Core $70
2M5Z-2B121-AA List $173.35 CEG $130.01 Core $70
2M5Z-1125-AA List $85.00 CEG $70.07 X 2 $140.14
W500443-S426 List $2.19 CEG $1.64 x 4 $6.56

This plus pads and brackets unless you want to do it the way Rara did and grind a little off the back of one of the pads & retain the stock SVT brackets.

So if you don't need brackets about $340 total with pads & everything.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/04/05 04:30 PM
Originally posted by todras:
Spacer? No! You need 3mm of hardened steel washers to go between the knuckle and the caliper bracket to center the caliper and that's it.

2M5Z-2B120-AA List $173.35 CEG $130.01 Core $70
2M5Z-2B121-AA List $173.35 CEG $130.01 Core $70
2M5Z-1125-AA List $85.00 CEG $70.07 X 2 $140.14
W500443-S426 List $2.19 CEG $1.64 x 4 $6.56

This plus pads and brackets unless you want to do it the way Rara did and grind a little off the back of one of the pads & retain the stock SVT brackets.

So if you don't need brackets about $340 total with pads & everything.

I think the calipers come fully loaded with pads. They might even include the brackets... I'll have to ask Bill again.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/04/05 04:33 PM
Ah you're right they do include pads! Even better deal yet. Think the bracket is seperate though. So $280 plus brackets I think. So it's around $300 for everything excluding brackets of any kind.
Posted By: DESIGN Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/04/05 08:22 PM
So 300 bucks and I go from stock non-svt brakes to stock focus brakes? Why and how would that be better?
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/04/05 08:23 PM
edited for accuracy

Originally posted by DESIGN:
So 300 bucks and I go from stock non-svt brakes to stock SVT focus brakes? Why and how would that be better?

Posted By: DESIGN Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/04/05 08:30 PM
well that alone explains some. What size are the FSVT brakes and will they fit inside my EO wheels?
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/04/05 08:39 PM
11"..iirc...of course i'm finding as i get older my memory fails me more and more often..
Posted By: NVSVT bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/04/05 09:58 PM
well that alone explains some. What size are the FSVT brakes and will they fit inside my EO wheels?

They are 300mm or 11.8110" diameter, and to my knowledge they won't fit inside E0 wheels. In fact I believe they require 17" wheels.

By the way SVT Focus front calipers come complete with brackets and pads for $130.01 each + shipping. There is also a $70 core charge (see attached link).

http://www.parts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=213787&chapter=DP2FH0&appSectionid=18&groupid=10028&subgroupid=20060&componentid=60193&make=10&model=Focus&year=2003&catalogid=1
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/05/05 12:15 PM
THEY ARE A DIRECT BOLT ON AS I PREVIOUSLY POSTED! STOCK 16" WHEELS WORK JUST FINE. THAT IS WHY I'M RESPONDING TO YOUR POST. IS NO ONE READING WHAT I'M TYPING? NO SPACERS, NO +1 WHEELS!
Posted By: DESIGN Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/05/05 03:00 PM
I just need to be completely clear and now you've done this. These prices are from Bill Jenkins? Now will they except my calipers for the core? They are nothing but stock contour calipers. I am assuming that my local dealer can order the parts so I can save on shipping.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/05/05 03:30 PM
About 5-6 ppl have done it. LOOK AT THE STICKY AT THE TOP. Prices through Jenkins w/ shipping are still way under local dealer prices.
Posted By: DESIGN Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/05/05 03:38 PM
Thanks about the sticky. Since this thread didn't start as a FSVT upgrade thread I hadn't bothered to read it.
Posted By: NVSVT bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/06/05 02:47 AM
Prices through Jenkins w/shipping are still way under local dealer prices.

I just read the other day that Bill Jenkins had left Signature Lincoln Mercury and had gone to work for Team Ford (about five minutes from my home). I've been buried at work so I haven't had time to call and verify for myself though.

The price I quoted was from Genuine Ford Parts (see the link in my post above).

I almost bought the SVT Focus front brakes for my SE (I had even bought the 3mm spacers from Todd at TCE), but am getting so tired of paying Fordâ??s high prices and getting junk that when I found a good price on the Baer front brake kit I bought it instead.
Posted By: bensenvill Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/06/05 05:25 AM
the answer to is it worth it?

YES, even if you drop 2 or 3 grand into brakes. If it keeps you out of one rear end collision, it will more than pay for itself. Don't count your pennies on things that keep you safe.
Posted By: Bill J. at Team Ford Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/08/05 05:04 PM
If anyone need any more calrification on this, drop me a line at me new location.

Team Ford of Las Vegas
702-395-5100 (no extension yet) or email bjenkins@teamfordlv.com

1) I can take any core back for the $70 core charge
2) They do come with Pads, Brackets, and Calipers
3) They will fit anything with 16" or larger wheels
4) I reccommend you also get the FSVT rotors to match.

Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/09/05 02:55 PM
Would you seriously spend $2K - $3K for brakes on a daily driver?? If you go to the track often certainly, but a daily driver? Are the factory brakes unsafe for normal application? I think not.
Posted By: DESIGN Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/09/05 05:33 PM
By gathering parts from several different vendors it looks like I can get FSVT brakes for just over 400 bucks. That is without shipping but will include the upgraded front brake lines from BAT. Calipers (brackets and pads include) and bolts from Bill, rotors and upgraded lines from BAT. I think this is a tremendous deal! I will have to front the core charges but that's cool with me.

To all those that have helped me understand this and find the best upgrade of the buck thanks.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/09/05 05:49 PM
By gathering parts from several different vendors it looks like I can get FSVT brakes for just over 400 bucks. That is without shipping but will include the upgraded front brake lines from BAT. Calipers (brackets and pads include) and bolts from Bill, rotors and upgraded lines from BAT. I think this is a tremendous deal! I will have to front the core charges but that's cool with me.

To all those that have helped me understand this and find the best upgrade of the buck thanks.

Bill Jenkins Rulz! But now that he's not with a dealer, I'll have to change my sig.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/09/05 06:08 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

Bill Jenkins Rulz! But now that he's not with a dealer, I'll have to change my sig.

He went to another dealer.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/09/05 07:34 PM
For some reason, I got it in my head that TeamFord was a performance outfit of some kind & not a dealer. Sig stays then...
Posted By: Bill J. at Team Ford Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/15/05 04:32 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

He went to another dealer.

Yes I am now with Team Ford. A much nicer dealership. We carry SVT (when they come out again), Roush, and of course the OEM stuff. This place is leauges above Signature in mamy ways, but backwards in others. It will still take me a little while to get everything up and running smoothly, but I will and hope to have a more efficent setup than at Signature.

Bill Jenkins
Team Ford
5445 Drexel Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89130
702-395-5173
bjenkins@teamfordlv.com

I will have a new online parts counter soon, along with a new 800 #.
Posted By: Bill J. at Team Ford Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/15/05 04:34 PM
I will have to front the core charges but that's cool with me.

I can still take back your cores, even if there are from an SE or other type. They just want something back. I already cleared this with my local rep.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/15/05 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Bill J. at Team Ford:
It will still take me a little while to get everything up and running smoothly, but I will and hope to have a more efficent setup than at Signature.

Bill Jenkins
Team Ford
5445 Drexel Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89130
702-395-5173
bjenkins@teamfordlv.com

I will have a new online parts counter soon, along with a new 800 #.

<<-- (notes Bills info for purchase of FSVT kit. Begins re-surfacing stock front rotors for the LAST time.)

I'll be in touch soon!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: bat rotor upgrade kit? - 08/17/05 03:50 AM
I rode in Eric's (chattavegas) car in the mountains. The FSVT brakes are a GREAT upgrade. One of the best bang for the buck mods for the contour.
© CEG Archives