Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Ordered them today (The ones with ceramic that dust even less than the already low-dusting titanium ones). Got clean wheels? How is everyone that is using them here liking them and how many miles you pumpin out these mo phuckaz?
Well...I don't have the ceramics, but I do have the titaniums as well as the organics on the back, so here we go:

After less than 10k miles the front rotors have warped and grooved, no racing here, just commuting. The pads squeal for a moment when stopping from 50-60 mph as well. Dusting is less than stock, but still very much present. The rear rotors also have slight grooves and the pads dust MUCH worse than stock. Overall, the stopping power is adequate as a stock replacement, however, the rotor quality is very POOR.

And while all the band-wagoneers are going to jump my ass for saying so, I would not recommend these brakes.
Originally posted by bohdi:
Well...I don't have the ceramics, but I do have the titaniums as well as the organics on the back, so here we go:

After less than 10k miles the front rotors have warped and grooved, no racing here, just commuting. The pads squeal for a moment when stopping from 50-60 mph as well. Dusting is less than stock, but still very much present. The rear rotors also have slight grooves and the pads dust MUCH worse than stock. Overall, the stopping power is adequate as a stock replacement, however, the rotor quality is very POOR.

And while all the band-wagoneers are going to jump my ass for saying so, I would not recommend these brakes.

I had changed my rotors and rear pads about 4000 miles back so I only ordered the front pads with ceramic. Does this make me excempt of your conditions?
LOL....yes, I think you're exempt from my "conditions". Sorry, I was more or less making a general statement rather than directly addressing you. From all the "hoop-lah" surrounding everything I had read about the Bendix brakes, I almost began to wonder if they had the ability to raise the dead....

Personally, I'm not happy with my setup, they didn't live up to all the hype; however, I hope your pads turn out to be better than mine.
Originally posted by bohdi:

Did you use the shims - because if you did, they shouldn't squeal.

The rotors are quality, so I don't know what's going on there.

FYI - the rear pads are the SAME as OEM install - yes, rear pads from the factory were Bendix. I puled a set off a 99 this weekend and confirmed it, and yes they were the original, the clips were still on the rotors from the assembly line.

Not sure what's going on with your brakes but you're the FISRT I've seen/heard with issues from my brakes.

If you warped them in 10K miles, you didn't break them in right to start with, and/or your "commuting" must involve some SERIOUSLY heavy braking.
If I haven't warped mine then nobody should be warping there's! Must not be doing something correctly. Tq wheels to 90 ft. lbs? Over Tqing will cause warpage.
Originally posted by Plain ole' todras:
If I haven't warped mine then nobody should be warping there's!

Why, because brakes on a running car are less likely to warp than brakes on a car that's sat for the last 2 years?

Mark
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Originally posted by Plain ole' todras:
If I haven't warped mine then nobody should be warping there's!

Why, because brakes on a running car are less likely to warp than brakes on a car that's sat for the last 2 years?

Mark

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha
Umm I have them on my SHO and I had them on my Contour when it was running.
Is your sarcasm meter broken today Todd? WTF's the status of the Contour anyway? And I thought I would have seen it at SZ05!

Mark
PS - SoundQ SVT puts these brakes through an entire weekend at SVTOA On Track and they were still in perfect condition, even thought they wore a little.

So I'll reiterate that you are doing something with your installation of the brakes, clips, wheel or bedding that's screwing them up.
I installed SoundQSVT's Stazi brake kit and monitored the brakes over the course of the weekend (Autobahn - Joliet). Stazi's brakes held up quite well I thought, and Bob said they performed well for him. There was about half the original thickness left (approximately) which was pretty good for 7 or 8 on-track sessions.
Didn't mean to 'jack the thread.

PM sent to you Stazi.
Well I received them 4 days ago. They are the Tiranium-Ceramic version (top-of-the-line Bendix). However, they will remain in the box till I can get my car back on it's feet again. I am sick and the rains in Florida don't let up . Will post performance observations when I get them hooked up .
I think I'm going to switch to Bendix after these Performance Friction pads are done. The PF pads only seem to work when when you are really pushing it and the initial bite isn't very good.
Originally posted by JCSVT:
The PF pads only seem to work when when you are really pushing it and the initial bite isn't very good.

...and the fade is bad and they are dirty as hell.
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
The PF pads only seem to work when when you are really pushing it and the initial bite isn't very good.

...and the fade is bad and they are dirty as hell.

If there is one thing I like about these Focus wheels it's that the wheels are the color of brake dust. You can barely telll the difference between clean and dirty.

If there is one thing I like about these Focus wheels it's that the wheels are the color of brake dust. You can barely tell the difference between clean and dirty.

I do hope you are kidding!!!. BTW, I've got Stazi's brakes coming too, and frankly, I'm lookin forward to using them.

Whoever owns this car - it's sweet.
Originally posted by Stazi:

That would be me. Thanks for the compliments.
Yeah those wheels look killer on T-Red.
-tropictour
Justin are you putting Stazi's pads on your T-Red?
Originally posted by liquidX:
Justin are you putting Stazi's pads on your T-Red?

Not until the PF pads wear out.
Originally posted by Stazi:

Looks like my old Contour, close to the ST200 wheels too...

I still have the side skirts in T-red that I bought. (*sigh*)
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

Are they still good?
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

Are they still good?

Well, the expiration date was 5/2004, but they don't smell funny.
They're SE skirts. They are a bit scuffed from shipping as the seller didn't wrap them very well. I never even opened the package. They're sitting, wrapped up, in my shed.
I hate not have the right tools to do a job. I didn't have a 7mm to take of the brakes, so I had to stop. But here is the Stazi brakes and rotors. My fronts dont really need to be replaced, but I might do them anyways, since I have 4 new rotors.

Enjoi
I've been running the Bendix Ceramics from Stazi for about 10k spirted driving.

What I love most:
They grab when cold
They grab when smoking
They grab everywhere in between
No rotor problems of any sort.

I drove the car for a while just letting the brakes warm up and cool normally. After a confident break in, I bedded them with the high speed stops. They have been rock solid.

-Andy
Originally posted by Andy W.:

What I love most:
They grab when smoking
-Andy

Originally posted by muskamike:

I see you brought the proper tools for the job . Thanks for sharing.
I too had similar problems as bohdi with my titaniums on my Mystique. I didn't buy them from Stazi but they were the bendix titanium�s. After about 10k to 14k miles both brand new bendix front rotors were warped and grooved. Rears I had no problems with. I have upgraded to the SVT sized rotor and put new titanium II pads on and now it seems extra dusty. Rotors look better so far but there are some grooves starting to form. I guess I should have jumped on the ceramic pad band wagon. Overall I have liked the braking but I hope this round I won't be changing pads and rotors in another 10 to 15k miles. I also have done my SVTs with the titaniums but haven't seen any issues yet (less mileage since the change). We will see how they are next year on the Mystique.
© CEG Archives