Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SnafuFlux_dup1 Year old Rotors. - 06/17/05 12:01 AM
Hey all, I did a 4 corner swap last year for some cross drilled rotors, but now I'd like to go back to my originals as the xdrilled are warped and I can't find anyone to machine them...

thing is the old ones are kinda rusty and lots are falling off. My first instinct is that they are fine thats no big deal. but I'm wondering, is there a possiblity that over a year they rusted to much that they aren't safe/usable? they seem pretty solid just alot of flaking.

thanks
Posted By: Nic_ContourSE99 Re: Year old Rotors. - 06/17/05 12:09 AM
If you can remove rust by layers, they are probably no more reusable. If it's just surface rust, install them and the rust will go away after few stops.

Nic.
Posted By: SnafuFlux_dup1 Re: Year old Rotors. - 06/17/05 12:40 AM
the rust isn't falling off of the actual area where the pads are, its falling off in the vent area, and the area's where the pads would not touch...

the stoping area is just surface rust... and I plan on machineing them anyways..

tips please keep coming
Posted By: Christian_dup1 Re: Year old Rotors. - 06/17/05 01:01 AM
Only one tip ... PM Stazi for his brake kit
Awesome set set of anchors for very little cash.
Posted By: SnafuFlux_dup1 Re: Year old Rotors. - 06/17/05 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Christian:

not interested in buying new or special brakes. I'm at the point were I'm driving this car cuz its drivable, not for specials.

thanks for your help tho
Posted By: SnafuFlux_dup1 Re: Year old Rotors. - 06/17/05 01:44 AM
Originally posted by SnafuFlux:
Originally posted by Christian:

not interested in buying new or special brakes. I'm at the point were I'm driving this car cuz its drivable, not for specials.

thanks for your help tho

hmm maybe after reading some posts since they aren't xdrilled or sloted I might do it...

help on original posting still wanted
Posted By: Stazi Re: Year old Rotors. - 06/17/05 05:31 PM
I would install new brakes - and that's not because I sell them. The fact is is the #1 safety equipment on your car. Why chance injuring or kiiling yourself or others to save a couple of bucks.

Even using new rotors with used pads is a bad idea as the two components won't mate each other properly and in fact can initally give you even WORSE braking than before, until you cause one of the components to conform to the other - which itself can cause warping and other issues due to uneven heat input across the face of the rotor.

Think about it.
Posted By: svtavino_dup1 Re: Year old Rotors. - 06/17/05 06:10 PM
Get the brakes turned down (machined) and buy some new pads. As long as you are with in spec they should be good. I would say most brakes rust on the inside of the vents after being a couple years old. I know all of my cars I have had do this. Should definetly go with some new pads as Stazi said.
© CEG Archives