Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Stylin55_oh retaining clips - 06/02/05 02:28 PM
ok this is the dumbest post ever by me, but i would love to see a picture of a retaining clip installed properly. When i took them off i didn't pay attention to how they looked, but i only see one way to put them back on. However, if part of my brake problem is simply caused by these not being installed right while im pulling my hair out trying to fix this, i would just have to kick my own ass.
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: retaining clips - 06/02/05 03:15 PM
I seem to recall Ray or Lance had pictures on a thread not that long ago. You might try to PM either of them.
Posted By: Stylin55_oh VERY FRUSTRATING BRAKES! - 06/03/05 12:55 PM
So, I've got a brake problem that no one seems to be able to diagnose, and if i cant find any more suggestions im going to take it to a shop. (I'm 21, own 3 cars and have never taken a car to a shop for anything besides tire balancing) Here's the outline. One day after a hard stop (the next day) i noticed my car would jerk to the left when i hit the brakes, didnt matter how hard i hit the brakes. It isn't like a constant pull you off the road, but it is a considerably big first jerk when the brakes first start to grab. Also the steering wheel turns about 1/8 of a turn to the right (opposite way the car moves). I tried new SS lines, thinking i might have a leak. fixed nothing. I cleaned and relubed calipers and actually replaced one. fixed nothing. I switched to full synthetic brake fluid. fixed nothing. I've checked all steering and suspension components and found no culprits. Steering by the way is perfect, no slop, tight as ever... but jerks when the brakes are applied.

anyone got any ideas?!?
Posted By: Litrbox_dup1 Re: VERY FRUSTRATING BRAKES! - 06/03/05 06:24 PM
Are you able to bleed all 4 wheels? If not, the ABS pump is going out.

MODERATOR - Could you pull this out for a new topic? It is buried. Thanks!!
Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: VERY FRUSTRATING BRAKES! - 06/03/05 07:56 PM
yes i can bleed all wheels.. but the rears just done shoot out the same velocity of fluid.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: retaining clips - 06/03/05 08:52 PM
Should be the clips...they should move to the outside of the caliper and be a complete PITA to do. Brake shops wouldn't know how to fix it. Shoot...ATi installed rogers wrong when he got his suspension installed there...
Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: retaining clips - 06/06/05 05:19 PM
Ray sent me a pic of the clips and mine are on right.. so.. im still lost
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: retaining clips - 06/07/05 01:10 AM
I took pictures of the clips properly installed this morning. I guess you don't need them now.
Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: retaining clips - 06/07/05 03:23 PM
sorry, thanks for helping tho...
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: retaining clips - 06/07/05 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
I took pictures of the clips properly installed this morning. I guess you don't need them now.

I'm trying to post the pictures. I have them on photobucket but when I try to add the URL after clicking on Image, the link does not activate when going to preview. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: retaining clips - 06/07/05 09:20 PM
Thought I'd try to help out if it's still needed and post these.

Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: retaining clips - 06/08/05 05:05 PM
so upon further inspection.. i do have them in wrong
could the clips be causing all of my problems??? wow i hope so, i will put them on right tonight.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: retaining clips - 06/08/05 07:48 PM
Guys, I'm still new with a digital camera. I tried to use photobucket to post pictures and couldn't make it work. So here is an attempt with car domain. There are two pictures of the car and then 5 pictures of the brakes including the tool I use on the clips.

[url=http://www.cardomain.com/my/]http://www.cardomain.com/my/
[/url]

Try this one:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1153968
Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: retaining clips - 06/08/05 08:02 PM
photobucket is pretty easy, and car domain is also popular, but your link is bad... i wanna see the tool, those things are a total PITA!!
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: retaining clips - 06/08/05 08:22 PM
I guess I still haven't figured it out. I can't find any instructions to tell me how to link it. You should be able to find it under my car domain name "jjhaven".

See if this works (same as edited above):

Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: retaining clips - 06/09/05 01:12 AM
Big Jim, you need to get the URL of the pic, then click on Image near the graemlins. If you are using photobucket, be sure to copy the URL box. I'll put your pics up for you.

Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: retaining clips - 06/09/05 06:42 AM
Ya

And to post the big pics, you actually click the pic so that the seperate window pops up, then right click, go to properties, highlight then copy the location (address) of the image...then back to CEG...click the image button and paste the location (... or address):

The nice thing about photobucket is that you can use larger pics with them. When you look at you account, you should see something like the image below, you just click the box that is circled, copy all that text, and paste it into the posting window here on CEG and it should show up.

Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: retaining clips - 06/09/05 12:54 PM
Your brakes look nice!! but i put my clips on right and i still have the wicked brake problem, i think my next route is to get the stock rotors tunred and some stock pads and see if it still does it.. any suggestions because i am 100% clueless
Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: VERY FRUSTRATING BRAKES! - 06/15/05 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Stylin55_oh:
So, I've got a brake problem that no one seems to be able to diagnose, and if i cant find any more suggestions im going to take it to a shop. (I'm 21, own 3 cars and have never taken a car to a shop for anything besides tire balancing) Here's the outline. One day after a hard stop (the next day) i noticed my car would jerk to the left when i hit the brakes, didnt matter how hard i hit the brakes. It isn't like a constant pull you off the road, but it is a considerably big first jerk when the brakes first start to grab. Also the steering wheel turns about 1/8 of a turn to the right (opposite way the car moves). I tried new SS lines, thinking i might have a leak. fixed nothing. I cleaned and relubed calipers and actually replaced one. fixed nothing. I switched to full synthetic brake fluid. fixed nothing. I've checked all steering and suspension components and found no culprits. Steering by the way is perfect, no slop, tight as ever... but jerks when the brakes are applied.

anyone got any ideas?!?

sometimes people dont follow up when they get something fixed, but im going to incase this happens to anyone else. The culprit... [drumroll]...
bad passenger side LCA bushings. Replaced the right side LCA everything is grrrreat! LOL .. well except i dont have quite the pedal feel i had before all of my brake drama.. and i have added SSlines in the process... odd but oh well it stops straight and true
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: retaining clips - 06/16/05 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Guys, I'm still new with a digital camera. I tried to use photobucket to post pictures and couldn't make it work. So here is an attempt with car domain. There are two pictures of the car and then 5 pictures of the brakes including the tool I use on the clips.

[url=http://www.cardomain.com/my/]http://www.cardomain.com/my/
[/url]

Try this one:

Question. I was searching the brake forum, because I noticed something on my car this past weekend. I was painting the calipers, and noticed that this retaining clip is missing on my passengers side front caliper. I had some work done there a month or so ago (new wheel bearing) and I don't know why they might have taken this clip off, but it is missing. It may have been missing for much longer, I don't know.

How big of a problem is this? Where do a go for a replacement? What does this clip "retain" the pads?

At the same time this work was done, he said that rotor was stuck/ rusted on there so bad he had to cut it off and replace it. I want to replace the other three (they are rusting pretty badly I noticed while I was painting). Any tricks to getting them off? I don't have any way of cutting them off. WD 40, PB Blaster, etc. would that work?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may be able to offer.
Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: retaining clips - 06/16/05 03:47 PM
The clip holds the pad in place.. i was skeptical, but it ensures proper wear on the rotors and pads. If you are having problems getting them off, try pb blaster, then heat... oh dont forget a handy hammer. I have never heard of them having to be cut off. Get a new clip however, i guess from ford.
Posted By: Dr. Cross Re: retaining clips - 06/16/05 06:53 PM
BAT also sells the clips. My front rotors were stuck pretty good last year. Since I was replacing them I wasn't too concerned w/ marking them up so some light persuasion with a sledge hammer + 2x4 did the trick.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: retaining clips - 06/17/05 08:48 PM
Originally posted by phd2be:
BAT also sells the clips. My front rotors were stuck pretty good last year. Since I was replacing them I wasn't too concerned w/ marking them up so some light persuasion with a sledge hammer + 2x4 did the trick.

OK, I can usually break things, it's the finesse stuff I have problems with.

Ignorance speaking, but once I have the wheel and caliper off, there is nothing else holding the rotor on right? Nothing on the backside?

Would it be smart to put some Anti-seize or a little bit of grease onto the new rotors backside, might that help them to not be so difficult to remove in future?

Thanks !
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: retaining clips - 06/17/05 09:50 PM
Originally posted by mean'tour:

Ignorance speaking, but once I have the wheel and caliper off, there is nothing else holding the rotor on right? Nothing on the backside?

Well the caliper bracket....but after that, no nothing.

Would it be smart to put some Anti-seize or a little bit of grease onto the new rotors backside, might that help them to not be so difficult to remove in future?

Thanks !

Ya, lots on here recommend some anti-seize on all those back surfaces that touch!
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: retaining clips - 06/17/05 10:11 PM
Originally posted by amarv12:

Well the caliper bracket....but after that, no nothing.

Thanks !

Ya, lots on here recommend some anti-seize on all those back surfaces that touch!

if you ever take aprt anything on your car that takes a beating from weather, use anti-seize for sure!, i use it for my seat bolts.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: retaining clips - 06/22/05 02:31 PM
I got a set of pad retaining clips from a Ford dealer yesterday (they were about $8 each). I worked for more than an hour getting the clip on the side that it was missing from. It was tough.

I followed the directions from the main site How-To by Mark Bishop as best I could. I actually couldn't get the "easier" (#3 on Mark's profanity scale) method to work. I ended up muscling it in there using the "7 on the profanity scale" method. Not easy and took a lot longer than I thought/ hoped it would. Also scratched my new caliper paint up pretty well. It will be easier next time though!
Posted By: Stazi Re: retaining clips - 06/23/05 03:13 PM
WTF 1 hour to put the clip on?!

I can do it in about 30secs.

Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: retaining clips - 02/27/06 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:

I know I am resurecting an old thread... Don't shoot me.

What is your trick Stazi? Any tips you can give me? I'm putting on new front pads...
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: retaining clips - 02/27/06 08:33 PM
The trick is to line it up sqarely. The force of the spring will tend to pull it so that the bit that goes into the bracker (caliper?) isn't straight. I found that a pair of heavy-duty vice grips clamping the spring let me line it up and manuever it in with no problems. Just pounding may work as well, but it might bend the spring, too.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: retaining clips - 02/27/06 08:37 PM

What is your trick Stazi? Any tips you can give me? I'm putting on new front pads...

Anyone? Is there a trick or a tool? I bought this tool on ebay ( Auction )

thinking from the description, that it might help. But it is for something else.

I remember a year ago (I can't find it now) someone referencing a tool for this... Anyone?
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: retaining clips - 02/27/06 09:03 PM
Those type of clips are common to a lot of the Conti-Teves / ATE calipers, and I've never had to use a tool on any of them. Typically, I push the two points into the holes, and just pull the "ears" down over the anchor bracket on either side. Once you do one or two of them, its really easy.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: retaining clips - 02/27/06 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Rara:
Those type of clips are common to a lot of the Conti-Teves / ATE calipers, and I've never had to use a tool on any of them. Typically, I push the two points into the holes, and just pull the "ears" down over the anchor bracket on either side. Once you do one or two of them, its really easy.

I'll have to try that.

I have a medium sized screwdriver with a slot cut into the tip. With the spring held in the slot and the rest of the tool for leverage I have good control on removing and replacing these clips. I've demonstrated the tool to seveal techs I have worked with, and many have adopted it.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: retaining clips - 02/27/06 11:27 PM

Anyone? Is there a trick or a tool? I bought this tool on ebay ( Auction )

thinking from the description, that it might help. But it is for something else.

I remember a year ago (I can't find it now) someone referencing a tool for this... Anyone?

What, A tool for it?

If you are talking about the brake caliper spring, a screwdriver and finger strength man...
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: retaining clips - 03/03/06 10:14 PM
Originally posted by warmonger:

Anyone? Is there a trick or a tool? I bought this tool on ebay [image]vanished[/url] )

What, A tool for it?

If you are talking about the brake caliper spring, a screwdriver and finger strength man...

Ya, that's what I'm talking about... I just used my fingers, probly the easiest part of doing the brakes!
© CEG Archives