Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: CanadianContendr Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/10/05 04:38 PM
Well, I thought I would upgrade my stock SE system, to SVT up front. I went to my local dealership here in Windsor, ON, and got some prices:

SVT rotors: $111.52
Caliper bracket: $212.xx

Rotors seem fair in price, but holy Jesus those brackets are ridiculous. Anyone have a better place other the a junkyard? I've looked for junkyard parts before and there's a very limited supply here in Canada... and I'm NOT spending $212 on a bracket that is probably worth $3.

Kyle
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/10/05 04:41 PM
WHAT?!! Holy crap dude. Example.

New Rotors for my SVT are 33.00 each

Caliper bracket (just the brakcet, right?) is $19.70. I think they quoted you on the caliper with the brakcet. Oh, and you don't have to buy these thigns from the dealership, any autoparts store will have these parts, cheaper.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/10/05 04:46 PM
Chad I'd love to see where you're finding SVT caliper brackets for $20 from.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/10/05 04:47 PM
Junk yard.

WHen I had my last CSVT, one of the brackets broke. I called Harry and Sons and they sold me the caliper bracket for 19.70 with tax. Don't know how much they are brnad new, though.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/10/05 04:50 PM
You won't find the caliper bracket anywhere but a dealer. Stating that these prices are at a junkyard straight away MIGHT help this guy out. Also the bracket is found on '99+ cougars. So take your a$$ to car-part.com and find a Cougar in your area and pickup the brackets are least.
Posted By: CanadianContendr Re: Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/10/05 04:57 PM
So the 99+ Cougar uses the same bracket as the SVT? That might be easier to find wrecked then an SVT here in Canada. I've looked from here to Toronto and can't find a junkyard with an SVT
Posted By: CanadianContendr Re: Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/10/05 05:18 PM
Guys at the junkyard says they can't sell me the bracket for "safety" reasons . Maybe a trip to Michigan is in store... I've looked so long for these parts I'm beginning to think stock's going to have to do, or a new car is in order.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/10/05 05:24 PM
Originally posted by CanadianContendr:
So the 99+ Cougar uses the same bracket as the SVT? That might be easier to find wrecked then an SVT here in Canada. I've looked from here to Toronto and can't find a junkyard with an SVT

Must be a V6 though!
Posted By: CanadianContendr Re: Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/10/05 05:29 PM
Yeah, I told them I needed brackets for a V6 wearing the larger 278mm discs. They said they can't sell me the bracket, nor could any yard tell me where to find one. But yet, they could sell me the caliper itself (contradictory in "safety" terms there). I dunno, not going to waste my time or money on a minimal upgrade anyways. My brakes need work by the end of the week, and I'm fed up of looking all over Ontario for a decent price on a $3 part.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/10/05 05:35 PM
If the price was like $50 with the caliper it'd be worth it as those calipers would probably be fresher than your old ones.
Posted By: CanadianContendr Re: Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/10/05 06:46 PM
ok, I looked at my car and it looks like the caliper bracket is actually the hub assembly... is that the bracket, or am I looking at the wrong part? I'm looking at my Haynes manual and it doesn't show what the bracket looks like
Posted By: MattAFXL Re: Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/13/05 01:35 AM
the bracket mounts on the knuckel and the hub is pressed into the knuckel with a bearing in between
I cant find this bracket either . Couldnt even find a wreckers with a couger.
Posted By: CanadianContendr Re: Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/13/05 04:14 AM
Yeah, just just said forget it and payed an arm and a leg for regular brakes
Posted By: Stazi Re: Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/13/05 01:29 PM
Retarded - you should bought brakes off me - oh well.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/13/05 01:59 PM
Get this guy to pull the brakes off for you.
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/16/05 04:31 PM
Originally posted by CanadianContendr:
Yeah, I told them I needed brackets for a V6 wearing the larger 278mm discs. They said they can't sell me the bracket, nor could any yard tell me where to find one. But yet, they could sell me the caliper itself (contradictory in "safety" terms there). I dunno, not going to waste my time or money on a minimal upgrade anyways. My brakes need work by the end of the week, and I'm fed up of looking all over Ontario for a decent price on a $3 part.

f that, the upgrade doesnt feel so minimal to me! No way in heck I'd go back to 260's.

Oh, and call them back from a different phone, tell them you have a Cougar with 278's and you need the brackets. (the whole "safety" thing is retarded IMO)
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Pricey, pricey, pricey - 05/16/05 04:35 PM
I have a set of SVT brackets for sale now. Pickup a 98 Sat. PM me if you want them.
© CEG Archives