Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: R_G Calipers Compatability - 05/10/05 03:07 PM
I am currently running FSVT kit (300 mm OEM rotors + calipers).

Is that possible to keep the rotors and get aftermarket calipers like Wilwood or Baer?

Thanks.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Calipers Compatability - 05/10/05 03:17 PM
I doubt it, unless either compnay makes a caliper swap specifically for the FSVT which allows you to run stock rotors. Usually the aftermarket kit have a different rotor offset thus requiring you to run their own rotors with their calipers.

Why do you need different calipers anyway, except for bling?

IMHO the FSVT brakes are excellent and with better pads I'm sure I can hold my own with the BAER kits.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Calipers Compatability - 05/10/05 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:

Why do you need different calipers anyway,

Upgrade to 4 pot?
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Re: Calipers Compatability - 05/10/05 04:29 PM
The short answer is NO.

Given 'mount offsets', rotor width applications, and most important; mounting centers and radius, this would not be an easy project.

Like a lot of things however; if you're willing to pay you can get about anything made.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Calipers Compatability - 05/10/05 04:44 PM
Originally posted by todras:

Upgrade to 4 pot?

Lighter, stiffer, better response than the floaters, etc. etc. etc.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Calipers Compatability - 05/10/05 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Todd TCE:

Like a lot of things however; if you're willing to pay you can get about anything made.

Which defeats the purpose of trying to upgrade the brakes at a lower cost.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Calipers Compatability - 05/10/05 05:00 PM
It humors me to see the endless and sometimes frivalous performance mods that people will buy/install and then NEVER track or Auto-X the car. Sad really.
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: Calipers Compatability - 05/10/05 05:00 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:
Originally posted by todras:

Upgrade to 4 pot?

Lighter, stiffer, better response than the floaters, etc. etc. etc.

more prone to piston knockback, etc etc. Fixed calipers have thier downsides too.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Calipers Compatability - 05/10/05 05:02 PM
Commond Brian this isn't a salisbury axle, so piston knockback is almost non-existant, unless these guys have some SERIOUSLY F'ed up wheel bearings!
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: Calipers Compatability - 05/10/05 05:48 PM
Hey, I know of at least one CEG'er lately that has had knockback issues . . . lol

but seriously, just pointing out potential issues w/ fixed calipers; they aren't "perfect" is all I'm getting at.

And fwiw, under hard cornering, most any stock wheel bearing (unless it was way overdesigned to start with) will allow some knockback on a fixed caliper. I know I've seen a number of Mustangs that get the occasional extra travel after a corner from knockback.

now, go answer my question about your FSVT caliper bracket findings.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Calipers Compatability - 05/10/05 05:54 PM
Front's on a Mustang getting knock back?!
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Calipers Compatability - 05/10/05 05:58 PM
Not talking about me, r ya?
Posted By: R_G Re: Calipers Compatability - 05/10/05 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Todd TCE:
The short answer is NO.

Thanks.
Posted By: Silver Snake_dup1 Re: Calipers Compatability - 05/11/05 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Rara:

but seriously, just pointing out potential issues w/ fixed calipers; they aren't "perfect" is all I'm getting at.

And fwiw, under hard cornering, most any stock wheel bearing (unless it was way overdesigned to start with) will allow some knockback on a fixed caliper. I know I've seen a number of Mustangs that get the occasional extra travel after a corner from knockback.

Just to expand a bit.

Its true that fixed calipers are more sensitive to knuckle/bearing flex, making them more succeptable to knockback. However, that doesn't mean every fixed caliper will exhibit it. When a caliper is placed at either 3 or 9 o'clock positions, knockback due to deflection is rarely an issue. This is the problem with the mustangs, the caliper is located high on the knuckle (1~11 o'clock). When the horribly underdesigned knuckle and bearing of the mustang (SN95, not S197) loads up and bends, the caliper is sohigh on the disc, where the deflection is quite a bit.

Caliper knockback is simply a symptom of poor bearing and/or knuckle stiffness. Its not the caliper that is the problem...its the corner assembly. In addition, this can be compensated for by tuning the piston rollback/knockback characteristics of the outboard pistons differently from the inboard pistons.

Aside from knockback sensitivity, the only other issue facing fixed calipers is wheel packaging due to the outboard caliper half. Aside from that, it is simply a better design.

Cheers,
Todd
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: Calipers Compatability - 05/11/05 01:55 PM
No arguments here Todd, your statements are spot on. And in discussing the knuckle and bearing stiffness of the Mustang, we must recall that the Contour knuckle and bearing designs aren't known for being overkill either . . .

All that said, I still vastly prefer a fixed caliper design whenever possible; for obvious reasons.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Calipers Compatability - 05/11/05 02:07 PM
On a side note - when I worked on the GMT-800 they had SICK knock-back so they moved the claipers from 12 o'clock tp 9 o'clock. That helped but were still getting some cos the pads were long and the shaft wasn't stiff enough to prevent rotor deflection, so GM being the cheap bastards they are CHAMFERED the pads Thus as you wore down the pads knockback would come back. Fuggin' stupid.

I fixed that on my H2 axle buy making the THICKEST 9.5" axle shaft you've ever seen
© CEG Archives