Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: RFcsvt front abs exciter ring - 05/10/05 02:29 PM
I accidentally damaged the right front exciter ring on my 98csvt. according to the dealership it is part of the drive axel, so I must get a whole drive axel to repair the exciter ring. Basically what my car is doing now is when I come to almost a complete stop the antilocks come on like the wheels are locking up. And my pedal is very spongy, it takes a few pumps to get full pedal when driving. There is no air in my brake lines and I bled the brakes just to make sure. So my question is, has anyone experienced issues with an antilock exciter ring and if so, when it is replaced will my brakes automatically go back to normal?
The exciter ring is bent and is probably messing up the sensor causing the antilocks to come on under normal braking. And what I think is that it is constantly sending bad signals to the antilock system.
Well any input is greatly appreciated. thanks
Posted By: Stazi Re: front abs exciter ring - 05/10/05 02:33 PM
Yes it is integrated to the OUTER CV, so you will NEED to replace the entire shaft. You can get reman ones for about $90 from your local chain auto parts store.
Posted By: RFcsvt Re: front abs exciter ring - 05/10/05 05:48 PM
so do you think that replacing the shaft with the exciter ring will remedy the abs problem and the spongy brake pedal?
Posted By: Stazi Re: front abs exciter ring - 05/10/05 06:17 PM
Spongy brake pedal is probably due to old fluid and/or air in the lines get a full brake line bleed.

The new shaft will take care of the ABS issues.

Think about it, how can a driveshaft in an independent front axle affect brake feel? It can't. Then again if your wheel bearings are so bad that you are getting knock back then that may be the cause.

Does the pedal firm up after a couple of successive pushes?
Posted By: RFcsvt Re: front abs exciter ring - 05/10/05 06:29 PM
yeah the pedal firms up after one or two pumps it then feels pretty normal until I let off for a little bit.
Posted By: RFcsvt Re: front abs exciter ring - 05/10/05 06:30 PM
I have brand new wheel bearings.
Posted By: Stazi Re: front abs exciter ring - 05/10/05 06:46 PM
Originally posted by headshot99r6:
I have brand new wheel bearings.

Hmm, well that kills that troubleshooting route. Do your brakes pulse? Warped rotors can cause knockback if it's bad enough.
Posted By: RFcsvt Re: front abs exciter ring - 05/10/05 06:48 PM
I'll elaborate on my situation a bit more, I just got my car back from getting a new transmission put in. The dealer told me I had a damaged exciter ring, which I knew about. My clutch works fine, I don't believe there is any air in the brake lines. And according to the dealer service tech, he seems to think that when I replace the drive axel with the new exciter ring that it will remedy all of my brake issues. They told me about the spongy pedal and they are familiar with the condition of the brakes. I guess I just don't understand what the abs exciter ring would have to do with break pedal feel.
Thanks again for your input on my issue. I appreciate it a lot. I'm just a little confused.

my rotors are fine, no pulsating pedal or anything.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: front abs exciter ring - 05/10/05 07:49 PM
GCK axles (NEW & not the POS reman's) are only $125. They carry a lifetime warranty.
Posted By: RFcsvt Re: front abs exciter ring - 05/11/05 01:57 AM
alright guys I guess I need a brake guru here. I replaced the damaged exciter ring and I'm still spongy pedal and my abs is activating right before coming to a stop. so what the dealer told me was wrong I guess. I'm pretty confused.
The brakes are bled and there is pressure after a couple of pumps on the pedal, but the pressure goes away after a couple of seconds of driving.
Please help, I'm about ready to go nuts.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: front abs exciter ring - 05/11/05 04:07 AM
Internal seals on the master cylinder or a leaking booster.

If you keep your foot on the brake pedal does it sink or does it get hard?

Does the booster line have a vacuum leak?
Posted By: RFcsvt Re: front abs exciter ring - 05/12/05 12:02 AM
OK so the abs issue is taken care of, the bracket that held the abs speed sensor was bent. anyways I still have to double pump my brakes to get full pedal. I bled them pretty thoroughly again tonight and they are still the same.
one pump about three quarters down and then the next pump stops just fine. Slow pressure to the pedal does not make it go to the floor either. I don't know, any suggestions?
Thanks again for all of your guys input on this.
Posted By: Stazi Re: front abs exciter ring - 05/12/05 02:05 PM
Last two things it could be - caliper spring is missing, and or the bushings for the sliding pins are worn allowing the caliper to flex a bunch. If you have the springs, get hold of a new set of caliper busings and try that (both sides)
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: front abs exciter ring - 05/12/05 04:57 PM
Try this,

Find an open lot with nothing to hit. While still, step on the pedal. Does it do it then? Then roll straight down the road for a 100ft and try again. Does it still do it? Then drive a couple full steering lock turns in each direction; I'm not talking just rolling, try to put some side loading into the front tires. Then try it again. Is it better? or worse? or the same?
Posted By: RFcsvt Re: front abs exciter ring - 05/16/05 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
Last two things it could be - caliper spring is missing, and or the bushings for the sliding pins are worn allowing the caliper to flex a bunch. If you have the springs, get hold of a new set of caliper busings and try that (both sides)

Problem solved. The sliding pins had not been lubricated for a long time and they appeared to be sticking really bad. New pads and some grease did the trick.

Thanks a lot for all the replies, you guys rule.
© CEG Archives