Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Quicksilver_dup1 Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/15/05 06:10 PM
Did some limited searching...

Is there any way possible to upgrade the rear brakes? Any kit out there at all? I know it is a nightmere but come on? I mean, the rears are a frickin' joke>

Any info would be great!
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/15/05 06:22 PM
Talk to rick he's done TCE rears.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/15/05 06:38 PM
Todd @ TCE has an 'upgrade' kit. I forget the specific size of the rotors but its larger rotors and the brackets to fit the stock calipers to those rotors.

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/bk_contour.html

Posted By: NVSVT Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/15/05 07:13 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Todd @ TCE has an 'upgrade' kit. I forget the specific size of the rotors but its larger rotors and the brackets to fit the stock calipers to those rotors.

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/bk_contour.html

The rotors are 11.75" diameter and everything in the kit is of very high quality. Todd is great, very knowledgeable and honest.
Posted By: Quicksilver_dup1 Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/17/05 03:28 PM
So much for searching huh? Anyhow, thanks guys. It seems that these rotors are the same size as the front ones. That will go perfectly with the front Baer kit. Excellent!

Posted By: NVSVT Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/18/05 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
So much for searching huh? Anyhow, thanks guys. It seems that these rotors are the same size as the front ones. That will go perfectly with the front Baer kit. Excellent!

The TCE rear rotors are LARGER than the stock front rotors on both an SE and an SVT Contour. The front rotors on an SE are 10.2" (259.1mm) diameter and the front rotors on an SVT are 10.94" (278mm) diameter.

And if you don�t have a Baer front brake kit already you should talk to Todd about his Wilwood front brake kits.
Posted By: ODC Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/18/05 10:53 PM
is it possible to just buy a svt front caliper/rotor/pad set and put it into the rears ?
Posted By: NVSVT Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/18/05 11:07 PM
Originally posted by ODC:
Is it possible to just buy an SVT front caliper/rotor/pad set and put it onto the rears?

I'm sure you could figure it out if you really wanted to, but it would probably cost more than TCE's rear kit and you wouldn't have a parking brake.
Posted By: ODC Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/19/05 01:19 AM
Originally posted by NVSVT:
Originally posted by ODC:
Is it possible to just buy an SVT front caliper/rotor/pad set and put it onto the rears?

I'm sure you could figure it out if you really wanted to, but it would probably cost more than TCE's rear kit and you wouldn't have a parking brake.

Can you just use the rotor and existing caliper ?

I guess my question is to have a rear brake upgrade that still fits the stock 16" wheels w/o spacers.
Posted By: Quicksilver_dup1 Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/19/05 04:33 AM
Well, what's the point of that? The TCE brake kit is LARGER than the front SVT brakes.

I have the 13" Baer kit, and the rears simply looked ridiculous compared to the monstorsities up front... I don't expect much gain, as 90% of our braking is done by the front brakes anyway...

I look at it as more of an aesthetic upgrade to be honest...
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/19/05 05:16 PM
ah, that would be 99%...

The mix of the 11.75 and 13" front should be a pretty good pairing. My main focus on the rear was more cosmetic than function to offer those front kit buyers something that would match on the rear. True 'performane' gains will be minimal but supported on paper at least if one wanted to run the numbers.

The fit of the fronts to the rear is just foolish talk. There are so many simple things to consider we won't go into the issue of way too much rear piston area.

Posted By: NVSVT Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/19/05 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Todd TCE:
ah, that would be 99%...

The mix of the 11.75 and 13" front should be a pretty good pairing. My main focus on the rear was more cosmetic than function to offer those front kit buyers something that would match on the rear. True 'performane' gains will be minimal but supported on paper at least if one wanted to run the numbers.

The fit of the fronts to the rear is just foolish talk. There are so many simple things to consider we won't go into the issue of way too much rear piston area.

Yeah, what he said.

Todd, Thanks for weighing-in on this.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/19/05 06:42 PM
ah, that would be 99%...

So the rears do 1% of the braking? Ford spent hundreds of dollars on the car so you can stop better in reverse, and for a 1% performance gain? Try 70%. I don't know the exact number for the Contour, but they are not 99%. If you showed me real evidence, I'd believe 90%, maybe. And I doubt you'll see that on modified suspension.
Posted By: ODC Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/19/05 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
I look at it as more of an aesthetic upgrade to be honest...

Yeah exactly.

I don't need slotted/drilled rotors for everyday driving or the occasional funtime ... but the rears just look so puny.

I guess there's options for enlarging the rears to fit under the stock svt wheels and be solid rotors as well.
Posted By: liquidX Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/20/05 01:42 PM
ah, that would be 99%...

Sounds like the conversation we just had . I was actually surprised to catch you awake at 6:43 GMT Todd . Anyway, it was a pleasure speaking to you and thank you for clarifying that the rear relocation kit will not lose the handbrake. You just got yourself an order! Get em' out to me when you can .

XL
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/20/05 01:53 PM
Originally posted by 95Sleeper:
ah, that would be 99%...

So the rears do 1% of the braking?

It was a bit tongue in cheek Phil, here:
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=brakes&Number=874430&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/20/05 03:37 PM
Oh, yes, I remember... I was heavily involved in that thread as well. That explains my Deja Vu.
Posted By: liquidX Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/21/05 05:09 PM
Todd, I never got your details for my order placement, let me know when ya gonna shoot em' over

XL
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/21/05 08:36 PM
If this was the conversation the other morning before I left the house; you never called me back. About all I recall is that you are in Florida! Give me a jingle again.
Posted By: PEWTNERST24 Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/22/05 10:02 AM
I've got 12.25" on the rear of mine with the standard calpier. They dont look that big because i'm running 19's.

They look sweet with my 13.25" fronts and Brembo calipers

Posted By: liquidX Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/22/05 12:27 PM
Originally posted by PEWTNERST24:
I've got 12.25" on the rear of mine with the standard calpier.

I thought Todd's kit was 11.75" in the rear . Are you running another type set? I need the absolute largest rotors on the planet available for the contour. Thanks...

XL
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/22/05 01:37 PM
It is. That's not something I built. Its looks pretty nicely done from here. If that 1/2 is the ticket then there's your solution.

Now I'll guess your next question is "can you do yours in 12.2 as well?" The answer is yes. With proper payment of redesigned brackets and a minimum run of them. Off the top of my head I'd gues another $125 for programing, some plates, plating and such.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/22/05 06:28 PM
So Todd if I heard right your now able to to do a rear caliper upgrade and retain the parking brake?
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/22/05 07:46 PM
Originally posted by livinsvt:
So Todd if I heard right your now able to to do a rear caliper upgrade and retain the parking brake?

No that is not correct. I currently only offer the 11.75 rotor kit. IT retains the parking brake. Perhaps in the future when Wilwood finalizes the new rear caliper they have been working in we can consider an opposed caliper with parking brake. Won't be cheap though. And you'll need to fab cables.
Posted By: liquidX Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/22/05 11:10 PM
$125 for programing, some plates, plating and such.

Awww come on Todd, I'll help you melt some coke cans to make the brackets!
Posted By: Todd TCE_dup1 Re: Rear Brake Upgrade... - 04/23/05 12:26 AM
I hate to say it but I 'could' prob slot both sets of holes about .300 and pull it off. But the firt time it slipped and the caliper was grinding on the rotor...well, my phone would be ringing. No thanks, new laser brackets are much better.
© CEG Archives