Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: muskamike WHO TO BRING CAR INTO TO FIX BREAKS? - 04/11/05 10:01 PM
Hey, I'm am pretty positive it is the break pads on the back of my 98csvt that are doing a high squeel when I drive, even when the break is not applied? Either way, I want to get this check out asap, in case it's f-ing up the rotors. Should I bring it to Ford? Or will I get charged out the ass?
Posted By: svt4stv Re: WHO TO BRING CAR INTO TO FIX BREAKS? - 04/12/05 12:56 AM
the stealership will charge you out the a$$ for anything

take it to a mechanic. it would help if your sig said where you lived

i know out here there is a chain of shops called Brake Masters. good place to go if near you.

"and these are the breaks.."
Posted By: muskamike Re: WHO TO BRING CAR INTO TO FIX BREAKS? - 04/12/05 03:05 AM
Well I went to Ford anyways to get a test drive with a mechanic. He said that there was rust on the back rotars and they shoudl be machined, etc. I think the rough estimate was about 150 or so? My appointment is next week so I will know for sure.

And I changed my sig just for you!
why is it that the word when used in context is almost ALWAYS spelled incorrectly, in automotive it is "brakes" I'm sorry, this just bothers me.

~Alex
Posted By: muskamike Re: WHO TO BRING CAR INTO TO FIX BREAKS? - 04/13/05 12:46 AM
You know what, I was reading over your post going, 'who the hell would spell brakes any differntly then what it would be'...I'm sorry, I ruined my flawless life.

-------"BRAKES"------NOT "BREAKS"---------
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: WHO TO BRING CAR INTO TO FIX BREAKS? - 04/15/05 02:04 AM
You and ODC were charged the same thing for breaks, must be a dealer set price. BTW any break shop can machine rotors for 15 to 20 CDN bucks. Plus installation (if you can't remove and bleed the breaks) you're not looking at $150 (+ 2 tax, and shop supplies)

Get quotes from the Midas or Budget type places before taking ANYTHING to the stealer.
If you think the dealer prices are high, try doing business with Midas. Take Vasoline.

Fifteen or twenty dollars to machine rotors might be the price if you hand carry the rotors into a machine shop. Don't expect a shop to remove them from the car and machine them for so little.
Personanlly, I'd stay far away from a BREAK shop if it were me.
Posted By: ODC Re: WHO TO BRING CAR INTO TO FIX BREAKS? - 04/15/05 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Cris'pus:
You and ODC were charged the same thing for breaks, must be a dealer set price. BTW any break shop can machine rotors for 15 to 20 CDN bucks. Plus installation (if you can't remove and bleed the breaks) you're not looking at $150 (+ 2 tax, and shop supplies)

Get quotes from the Midas or Budget type places before taking ANYTHING to the stealer.

Yeah, son of a [censored] -- I went to this local mechanic by my girls house near Dunbar "McKenzie Heights service" and the place looked fine but he quoted me 350 for all fours and the bleeding, +20 misc charges !

That's just as much as I'd get it done at a dealer, and no way I trust a freaking Budget Brake and Muffler or Mr. Lube ... fucksticks -- I guess I'll bend over for the dealer yet once more ... I'll talk to them and see if I can get some sort of discount or something ...
Posted By: Stazi Re: WHO TO BRING CAR INTO TO FIX BREAKS? - 04/15/05 07:12 PM
Why can't you do it yourself. Brakes are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to do. The rears are a tadd harder than the fronts, but all in all it's a couple hours job - max!
Posted By: ODC Re: WHO TO BRING CAR INTO TO FIX BREAKS? - 04/15/05 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
Why can't you do it yourself. Brakes are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to do. The rears are a tadd harder than the fronts, but all in all it's a couple hours job - max!

I'd like to do it, but I don't have the tools and much time (maybe after exams). I don't have a torque wrench, and I'm not prepared to spend another 300 bucks for a quality torque wrench, I don't have clamps, not sure if i have a torx driver for the ratchet -- after adding up buying all that stuff + the time it would take assuming i don't screw anything up .. it would be more convenient to bring it to the dealer. Plus this is all assuming I don't [censored] it up somehow and drive myself into a wall.

Plus I'm completely I'm unsure of the bleeding procedure and having osmebody pump the brake pedal when the car is on stands ...

Everything's easy relatively -- building an MIS system is easy to me but probably not to most people : p
Posted By: muskamike Re: WHO TO BRING CAR INTO TO FIX BREAKS? - 04/16/05 04:06 PM
I'll try to get some more qoutes before going to the ford dealership.
You don't NEED a torque wrench. One is nice for tightening the wheel lug nuts, a $25 craftsman one is fine for that.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: WHO TO BRING CAR INTO TO FIX BREAKS? - 04/19/05 02:13 PM
Originally posted by ODC:
I don't have clamps, not sure if i have a torx driver for the ratchet -- after adding up buying all that stuff + the time it would take assuming i don't screw anything up ..

I waqs intimidated by brakes in my younger days. After jumping in and doing it you're going to kick yourself for ever taking it anywhere. Go buy a damn c-clamp a small socket set and some torx bits for the rear. You'll have them for your entire life and can do brakes for friends & save them $ too. At least do the fronts & save yourself some $. A few bolts for the calipers, drop the pads, use a c-clamp to compress the piston and pop on the new pads. Bolt the caliper back on. I think Staz & I did a guys car in 20 minutes. Gets better the more you do it.
Posted By: ODC Re: WHO TO BRING CAR INTO TO FIX BREAKS? - 04/19/05 08:11 PM
Originally posted by todras:
I waqs intimidated by brakes in my younger days. After jumping in and doing it you're going to kick yourself for ever taking it anywhere. Go buy a damn c-clamp a small socket set and some torx bits for the rear. You'll have them for your entire life and can do brakes for friends & save them $ too. At least do the fronts & save yourself some $. A few bolts for the calipers, drop the pads, use a c-clamp to compress the piston and pop on the new pads. Bolt the caliper back on. I think Staz & I did a guys car in 20 minutes. Gets better the more you do it.

Eh, it'd be nice if there was somebody near me that knew what they were doing in case I messed up like Stazi.

I guess one thing at a time, I've never changed spark plugs before and I'm already worried about dealing with the back 3 plugs, or screwing it up. I'd be very happy if I were able to do those successfully.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: WHO TO BRING CAR INTO TO FIX BREAKS? - 04/19/05 08:22 PM
What's to screw up? Make sure the friction material faces the pad instead of metal. LOL! What's the problem with plugs? Just need a 6" & 3" extention to get them out. Might need to undo the 4 bolts that hold on the coil pack for more room. Big deal.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: WHO TO BRING CAR INTO TO FIX BREAKS? - 04/19/05 09:36 PM
Yeah, it's really easy to work on cars, when you have a how-to. Righty-tighy, lefty-loosey. Spark plugs were easy, just a little tight fit. Nothing complicated at all. My roomate, who two months ago couldn't have pointed out his oil filter, did his brakes without me on Sunday. It can't be that bad.
© CEG Archives