Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: wavrdr_dup1 Yet another questions on Koni's... - 11/29/03 02:36 AM
Hey guys, I just picked up a set of Koni's and although they "appear" to be in good shape, I have a question for everyone.

Should I be able to compress the piston, and if so will it automatically stay compressed. I would think that it would spring out as any other shock does...but the set I got is hand compressable and does not spring back to it's original position....

Any help/insight is greatly appreciated.

TIA
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: Yet another questions on Koni's... - 11/29/03 03:02 AM
They are not gas shocks (like SVT struts are?), they use liquid instead, and that likely has something to do with how they do not behave as you might otherwise be used to. My Konis did the same thing as you are describing.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Yet another questions on Koni's... - 11/29/03 03:06 AM
i think i recall mine doing the same thing
Posted By: ibub_dup1 Re: Yet another questions on Koni's... - 11/29/03 05:28 AM
Originally posted by wavrdr:
Hey guys, I just picked up a set of Koni's and although they "appear" to be in good shape, I have a question for everyone.

Should I be able to compress the piston, and if so will it automatically stay compressed. I would think that it would spring out as any other shock does...but the set I got is hand compressable and does not spring back to it's original position....

Any help/insight is greatly appreciated.

TIA

gas-charged struts push out "automaticly". konis are not gas charged, so you can move the rod in and out by hand. you should feel significant resistance when you do this.
Posted By: wavrdr_dup1 Re: Yet another questions on Koni's... - 11/29/03 11:41 PM
Thanks for the replys everyone....

There is resistance when pulling/pushing the piston in/out, but I'm just used to gas charged struts that will put an eye out if released unexpectingly...
© CEG Archives