Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Goonz SVT Jeez - 08/01/06 03:11 AM
im experiencing some weird noises comming from the passenger side rear wheel area. When I get on the highway, accelerate say goin between 70 - 80, I hear this hummin noise that comes from the rear area, like somthins shakin, it gradually fades away. I also noticed the past few weeks that the same wheel (passenger rear) had ALOT of brake dust, i have black wheels but they were brown and the lip was black. Same now, just washed it 2 days ago and now that rim is filthy while the others are nice and clean. does this have to do with my brakes? Im soo lost on what it could be..any help would be appreciated
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Jeez - 08/01/06 03:14 AM
Brake retaining clip loose? Missing?
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Jeez - 08/01/06 03:28 AM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Brake retaining clip loose? Missing?

for the rear? the rears dont have clips iirc..
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: Jeez - 08/01/06 04:04 AM
that much brake dust should not build up on your wheels that quickly, especially on the rear wheels. I would take the rear brakes apart and check if your caliper is stuck or if anything is wearing in an odd fashion. The rear brakes are pretty easy, and you can get the right tools for free at your local autoparts store.
Posted By: SVTatGT Re: Jeez - 08/01/06 04:11 AM
the parking brake could be sticking a little on that caliper
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Jeez - 08/01/06 01:35 PM
Originally posted by SVTatGT:

Because of the humming noise, I'd check the bearing for that wheel also.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Jeez - 08/01/06 03:15 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

how would i do that, check for play on the wheel?
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Jeez - 08/01/06 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

just like you would check on a front wheel, see if the wheel moves when pushing and pulling at 12 and 6
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Jeez - 08/01/06 04:54 PM
Originally posted by BrApple-SeVT:
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

just like you would check on a front wheel, see if the wheel moves when pushing and pulling at 12 and 6

thought so..well i'll wait till it cools off, its 101 outside
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Jeez - 08/03/06 03:01 AM
another thing about the front, the front passenger side is still shaking really badly, upon replacing the damaged CV axle, it still shakes and i'm hearing metal to metal noise..what could it be now? My rims arent damaged, tire runout is fine, new LCA's, and new sway bars..i honestly am growing tired of this issue any suggestions? I also hear weird noises when im turning right, weird steering noises..
Posted By: ancientsanskrit Re: Jeez - 08/03/06 03:52 AM
Definitely sounds like a shot wheel bearing to me. At least, my father's Taurus had similar symptoms when it went out. If you can get yourself an automotive stethoscope, spin the wheel and listen to it. It should sound like metal grinding, much like a knife sharpener or something like that. From my experience, the side w/the bad bearing, was much easier to spin the tire in comparison to the other, though there is no concrete proof here, it's just an observation from my father's car.

Edit-Sorry, my browser only showed the first three posts, till I actually posted, so I'm not sure if this is pertinent information or not.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Jeez - 08/03/06 03:56 AM
i'll do the 12 6 test on it tommorow..
Posted By: evocontour Re: Jeez - 08/03/06 05:00 AM
You said that you just swapped the CV axle. If you don't have correct torque on the nut it could be loose and making the humming metal to metal noise. On the same note - you can't just crank those nuts down as tight as you'd like em either - the torque spec is there to properly load the wheel bearing. Too much and you distort the races and mess the bearing up and too loose? It'll make lots of noise and drive you crazy.
HENRY
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Jeez - 08/03/06 08:03 PM
Originally posted by evocontour:
You said that you just swapped the CV axle. If you don't have correct torque on the nut it could be loose and making the humming metal to metal noise. On the same note - you can't just crank those nuts down as tight as you'd like em either - the torque spec is there to properly load the wheel bearing. Too much and you distort the races and mess the bearing up and too loose? It'll make lots of noise and drive you crazy.
HENRY

the noise has been there for quite some time, even before the swaped axle. I believe its been 2 years
© CEG Archives