Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: coatsy Need some advice - 07/20/06 01:37 AM
So I know that I need a rt front bearing, GOt the nororius humming vibration sound that gets WAY worse on left hand tunrs or corners. For the past 6 months whenever i am stopped and proceed to accelerate I could hear this click noise in the front right side, it has gotten progressively worse to the point that now when I turn right I hear a BIG clunk and then when I straighten out I hear a smaller clunk on the right side (its a painful sounding noise). Any thoughts??
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Need some advice - 07/20/06 02:19 AM
Sounds like maybe your struts are moving around a bit. Do you have a camber kit? 'Cause that is where I see this happening most often, with the camber kit.
Posted By: coatsy Re: Need some advice - 07/20/06 03:07 AM
Nope no camber kit.. It almost feels like something is shifting out and then when I straighten up it clicks back in,. Frustrating as it won't do it unless I am driving, i.e. if I am stopped and turn the wheels it won't do it..
I am guessing it has something to do with the steering..
Could it be a control arm issue? Or ball joint? Or tie rod?

Posted By: coatsy Re: Need some advice - 07/23/06 06:49 PM
Its like a Knocking sound when I turn a corner, and then it kocks again when I straighten up..
Anyone else?
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Need some advice - 07/23/06 10:12 PM
check that top nut on your strut/strut towers up front. Sounds just like the struts are bangin' around...
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Need some advice - 07/24/06 03:36 AM
If the struts were loose, it wouldnt just make one clunk when turned. They rattle (many clunks) over evey little bump. You can feel it in the floorboards. If its just one clunk, I doubt the struts are loose. However, they are easy enough to check, so you might as well.
Posted By: coatsy Re: Need some advice - 07/24/06 03:54 PM
No clunks or noises on bumps just on turning.
Posted By: MtnMan SVT Re: Need some advice - 07/25/06 03:14 PM
When I broke the sway bar end-links on my taurus I had similar results, but that was on the rear of the car. I'm still not sure what was actually making the clunking sound, but when I replaced the end links it stopped.

I would pull the wheel off and inspect everything as well as you can. Try to get a look at as many bushings as you can to see if they're worn out. A good way to check bushings on control arms and end links is to just push and pull on them hard with your hands to see if you get any knocking or excessive movement.
Posted By: richs_dup1 Re: Need some advice - 07/25/06 06:12 PM
Check for a broken spring. My 4 cylinder did that.

Rich S
© CEG Archives