Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: blu_fuz Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/10/06 04:36 PM
So I did my suspension swap on my '95 to the koni/GC setup about2 months ago. I drove to SZ and when we got to the hotel I noticed a creaking noise comming from the passenger side rear. It was pretty quiet then, but now it is getting loud.

I had the GCs on stock struts b4 this and there was no noise then.....

I took the rear wheels off and did the following:
-tightened upper strut mounts (two bolts)
-tightened pinch bolt
-tightened brake calipers
-removed sway bar bushings and greased them
-sprayed all moving links and bushings with PB blaster

oh, and it creaks louder the slower I go.... It does not creak when going 55+ mph

it doesn't creak with bumps either, it is pretty random.

can someone help me out?.... I am frustrated that now with the new suspension, I have another issue... it just never stops.... ugh
Posted By: striker2 Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/10/06 04:40 PM
dont worry Joe mine has been doing the same thing since well before SZ. Josh thinks it has something to do with the upper strut mount (sounds like thats where its comeing from). maybe one of these days ill get around to takeing the whole thing out and seeing what is makeing the noise.
Posted By: European Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/10/06 08:47 PM
wow I have the same problem, its like walking in a old attic, kinda annoying over speedbumps and whatnot, but well, lol, ya, people stare. Oh well, all good.
Posted By: blu_fuz Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/12/06 07:50 PM
do you both have the koni struts? I see one of you have them.... I also noticed all 3 of us have pre98s.. could that have anything to do with it... hmmmm??? I might put my roll resistor in today and get new plugs and wires - maybey I will drop the suspension out and take a look. who knows.... thanks
Posted By: striker2 Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/13/06 01:55 AM
idk mine only seems to do it on the right rear. i dont know whats different between the left and right sides. i set both up the same way. Joe if you take yours apart and figure out whats making the noise please take some pictures for the rest of us.

Daniel
Posted By: mySVT_dup1 Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/13/06 04:07 AM
oh, and it creaks louder the slower I go.... It does not creak when going 55+ mph

it doesn't creak with bumps either, it is pretty random.

can someone help me out?.... I am frustrated that now with the new suspension, I have another issue... it just never stops.... ugh

Does it creak when you turn the wheels with the car stopped and engine running? I had that creaking symptom when i had my camber kit installed, and it was definetly due to the non-OEM upper strut mounts. Since i have taken the camber kits off and returned to the stock upper strut mounts the sound has ceased.
Posted By: striker2 Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/13/06 04:15 AM
i believe all 3 of us have the noise coming from the rear of the car. so no it doesnt do it when you turn the wheel. it deffinatly seems random as i can go over the same road several times a day and it will not squeek at the same points in the road. occasionaly i hear more of a slight metal on metal noise but its mostly just a rubberish (?) squeek. like previously stated its only an the right rear. no other corner makes the noise.
Posted By: blu_fuz Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/13/06 06:30 PM
right rear on mine too! dang... No it does not make noise when I am sitting still and turning the steering wheel. I will have to dive into this and let yall know - I bought another car so I can take the tour apart and leave it apart... I'll keep on keepin on... -JOE
Posted By: WestCoastAjax Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/15/06 06:18 PM
Have a Buddy push the Pass side up and down, causing the creaking noise.....reach under the Pass wheel and put your hand on the Ball joint....do you feel it? Ball Joint

I did brakes, wheel bearing, Pass driveshaft and then the creaking started. I killed a can of WD-40 trying to desqueek it. Then I removed the wheel and started listening and feeling, WOW. I'm replacing the entire Lower Control arm, that way I get the Ball joint and New rubber in the mounts.

Approx. $375 for a shop to replace ball joint
approx. $150.00 to replace it yourself Control Arm
Approx. $60.00 for Ball joint (got all the tools?)
Posted By: striker2 Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/15/06 06:22 PM
good theory but again we are talking about the REAR.
Posted By: WestCoastAjax Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/17/06 03:06 AM
Originally posted by striker2:
good theory but again we are talking about the REAR.

I think I should change glasses , not often this old gezzer misses someones REAR - D-oh
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/17/06 03:33 PM
WD-40 is not a lubricant!!!!! It is a rust solvant that is rubber and plastic safe, unluck PB blaster

You should be using some sort of actual lube to prevent the squeaks. Lithium, marine grease, etc.

Have any of you checked your sway bar bushings, they are the most common squeakers. When control arms bushings go bad you get clunks and knocks. When bearing go bad you get a loud moan that gets worse with higher speeds. Did you lube you and clean the spring caps?

-Andy
Posted By: gooserex Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/17/06 03:35 PM
A buddy of mine also had the same problem after Ford replaced a snapped rear spring... Ever since ford touched the right rear to replace the spring it squeeks at random, usually low speeds, also a pre-98.

Thought of this when I read the very first post then I remembered the above and I'm pretty sure my buddy looked into his parking brake and it wasn't the source of the sound.

(Off the hip here.. Perhaps it's the parking brake cable rubbing, it makes a pretty annoying sound at random when it starts to rub the trailing arm.)

Posted By: SpeedinBob Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/19/06 05:54 PM
tighten the shizznit out of the sway bar end links.

Fixed my issue.

Bob
Posted By: striker2 Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/19/06 06:19 PM
i just looked at it today in school. mine was caused by a loose upper strut mount. the nut that holds it to the strut had come just a little loos and was allowing it to move around and make noise.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/19/06 08:34 PM
i just looked at it today in school. mine was caused by a loose upper strut mount. the nut that holds it to the strut had come just a little loos and was allowing it to move around and make noise.

You talking about the big nut on top of the strut shaft, or the little 10mm nuts that screw up into the wheel well/strut tower?
Posted By: striker2 Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/20/06 01:48 AM
Originally posted by RogerB:

You talking about the big nut on top of the strut shaft, or the little 10mm nuts that screw up into the wheel well/strut tower?

the big 19mm nut on top.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/20/06 01:41 PM

the big 19mm nut on top.

How did you tighten it? Did you have the whole thing apart?
Posted By: striker2 Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/20/06 05:58 PM

the big 19mm nut on top.

How did you tighten it? Did you have the whole thing apart?

i did have to take the whole thing out of the car. however since it is on coilovers it comes aprat easily. i could even give you a list of tools you will need.

vice grips/pliers: remove the brake line clip
18mm wrench/socket: remove the strut pinch bolt (may need PB blaster and cheater bar)
big hammer: used for removing the strut from the hub (dont hit the strut)
10mm ratchet with at least 12inch extension: remove the 2 bolts holding the perch to the car.

19mm and 9mm wrenchs: put the 19 on the big nut and the 9 on the top of the strut and tighten down the nut.

reverse removal procedures to install. i had it done in about 30-45 min.

Posted By: tigerbalm Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/23/06 02:02 PM
my front is making that awfull creaking noise mainly when i start and stop like the suspension is stretching around. My guess is either the sway bar bushings or my struts which i'm about to change anyway.
Posted By: blu_fuz Re: Aww geez now what is creaking.... - 07/25/06 08:10 PM
I will have to check my "big nut" for the upper strut mount.... that seems like the only logical spot... my ebrake cable is worn like a motha too from rubbing on the control arm too... why the heck didn't they leave more space there so that didn't happen?! duh
© CEG Archives