Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 2slowtour how do you box in sway bar brackets - 06/10/06 09:54 PM
?????????????????????????????????? just like it says i need a how to or some advice the other side broke off again from being old and kinda rusty.
Posted By: jd2-98s Re: how do you box in sway bar brackets - 06/11/06 02:33 AM
Best to leave it too someone like Bradness. Unless you know a good welding shop, or are a good welder yourself. I got mine threw Bradness and very happy with cost, and shipping cost. If you do have it done, the subframe has to come off.
Posted By: 2slowtour Re: how do you box in sway bar brackets - 06/11/06 07:40 AM
link?
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: how do you box in sway bar brackets - 06/11/06 11:36 AM
I did one myself a few years ago. At the time there was little information available and my subframe brackets came out crazy strong - more like tractor parts! They worked well though.

The reinforced subframe I have now I purchased from BAT. Look on the BAT website for pictures of their modified factory piece to get an idea.

There are also a lot of posts and pictures on this topic in the last two years.

I did mine on the car with my mig welder. I'ts a bit of a PITA and you have to have a bunch of stuff off....like I had all the struts and bars off anyway, and it was hard not to melt some of the surrounding plastic lines for the fuel tank vent system. So carefully done it is okay. Also, I don't recommend welding upside down but exhaust shops do it too...you get used to hot sparks.

Anyway, if that isn't enough incentive to pull the subframe then you're as hardheaded as I am.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: how do you box in sway bar brackets - 06/11/06 03:07 PM
The subframe is easy to drop, especially with air tools. If you can weld, just chop up some steel to make reinforcements and/or braces. If not, take it to a welding shop and tell them to make it strong.
Posted By: jd2-98s Re: how do you box in sway bar brackets - 06/11/06 03:38 PM
To give a slight idea...

Unboxed

Boxed

And what you'll have to do...

Posted By: 2slowtour Re: how do you box in sway bar brackets - 06/11/06 09:16 PM
thanks that clears that up for me i think im going to have my trust old redneck weld shop do mine . they are cool rednecks that can weld extreamly well. thanks guys

best regards

phil
© CEG Archives