Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: npurdin Sport suspension on SVT - 05/07/06 01:55 AM
So some jackhole in an F150 takes out my rear end .. now I have a totalled 98 SE Sport. Im looking at buying a 98 SVT but the guy who owns it put an eibach suspension kit on it and it bottoms out sometimes and rides rather harshly.

I'd like to take out the suspension in my contour, since its still intact, and replace the eibach setup, but I have no idea whether this is a good idea, feasible, or a waste of time.

1) Will it fit? (I think so, just making sure I'm not retarded)
2) Is the Sport suspension close to spec for SVT?
3) What am I looking at in time and/or money for this switch?
4) should I just buck up and take the harsh ride cuz it corners so darn nice?

Is the stock SVT suspension comparable to (ideally identical to) the SE Sport suspension?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Sport suspension on SVT - 05/07/06 02:16 AM
1. Yes
2. No
3. Time is same as for any other strut swap. Everybody is different. Some people have airtools. Money? Well, it would be cheap if you did it yourself, since you already own all the parts.
4. The SVT shouldn't be bottoming. That's bad. That car will need some work, regardless, but I wouldn't waste my time putting that weak shiz from a 98 "SE" on an SVT.
Posted By: npurdin Re: Sport suspension on SVT - 05/07/06 02:34 AM
While I agree that putting used parts on a car like this is silly, I don't have a whole lot of cash on hand, since the guy who hit me was uninsured and my insurance won't cover it.

Is there a way to fix the current equipment? or is that eibach kit doomed to its current -2.0"?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Sport suspension on SVT - 05/07/06 04:24 AM
Doesn't sound right. Maybe struts are way worn out. Also, what tire size is on the svt?
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Sport suspension on SVT - 05/07/06 04:37 AM
It doesn't sound like it's the actual kit itself causing the problems. Sounds like something else is going on with that car.

Eibach kit does not lower that much to bottom out on everything.
Posted By: Reebs Re: Sport suspension on SVT - 05/07/06 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Doesn't sound right. Maybe struts are way worn out.

x2
Posted By: npurdin Re: Sport suspension on SVT - 05/07/06 08:27 AM
17" rims, since you were asking, didn't really cross my mind for some reason. Specifically, the tire size i would ASSUME is stock, though the wheels are not stock, they are 17's. I'm actually taking this one out for a spin tommorow, so I'll have more info tomorrow evening.

Like I was saying, it bottoms out sometimes.. not every speedbump, but it has its moments apparently. (This is coming from the guys whos selling it, so i have to assume hes playing it down when he says "sometimes.")

Will definitely take a look at the struts when I check it out, what should I look for? The owner seems to think the kit (installed by original owner) is what is causing the problems, but I'm guessing you folks would know best.

PS: you guys pwn
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Sport suspension on SVT - 05/07/06 01:46 PM
Originally posted by npurdin:
Specifically, the tire size i would ASSUME is stock, though the wheels are not stock, they are 17's.

Can't be stock tire size if the wheels are 17".

The struts could be blown. Check for greasy marks running down the struts and also what type of struts they are. Black color would most likely be stock struts which could explain the rubbing if they are blown.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Sport suspension on SVT - 05/07/06 05:22 PM
I asked tire size because I rub (not bottom out) with 225/45/17. I probably wouldn't rub with a 215.
Posted By: npurdin Re: Sport suspension on SVT - 05/07/06 05:44 PM
whoops.. i keep thinking sport and SVT have different wheel sizes, but im wrong... just different wheels.

I'll check the tire size and get back to you... hes actually getting new tires tomorrow, so thats something I can suggest if the tires are the wrong size. I spose I'll just suggest 215/45's

as for the struts, my guess is they'll be stock and just worn out... kinda building up a laundry list of stuff to do once i get this car... rebuild tranny, replace sway bar bushings, replace struts, and then whatever he HASN'T told me about.

**second guessing**
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Sport suspension on SVT - 05/07/06 06:27 PM
whoops.. i keep thinking sport and SVT have different wheel sizes, but im wrong... just different wheels.

I'll check the tire size and get back to you... hes actually getting new tires tomorrow, so thats something I can suggest if the tires are the wrong size. I spose I'll just suggest 215/45's

as for the struts, my guess is they'll be stock and just worn out... kinda building up a laundry list of stuff to do once i get this car... rebuild tranny, replace sway bar bushings, replace struts, and then whatever he HASN'T told me about.

**second guessing**

Sport and SVT do have different wheel sizes... the SVT wheels are 16 inches... in 1998 they were called the E0 wheels, and the tires they came with were a 205/55R16. in 1998.5 through 00' contour SVT's they came with 16 inch E1 Cobra style SVT wheels. The stock tires on those were P205/50R16. The Sport contours had 15 inch wheels. The only non-svt contique to come from the factory with 16 in wheels were the Mercury Mystique 98-00 LS model. 17 inch wheels SHOULD NOT bottom out on that suspension setup, I think everybody is right, the struts are blown.... And I think that putting SE sport struts on an SVT is proposterious, it wrecks the point of having an SVT, they cars were designed for the twisties. If I were you, since you already have Eibach sport springs, is I would invest in a set of Bat struts.. They arent THAT expensive ($99/each) and you will love the ride that setup will give you...

"Euro Sport Struts
Made in Germany, and specially valved to our specifications, these strutsoffer substantially uprated bump and rebound specification. The shock valving is especially well suited for use with sport (stiffer) springs and will also do wonders in place of the SVT's O.E. struts. If you are looking for a high quality (yet affordable) gas strut to make your Contour handle up to its full potential these are the ones to have. We are so impressed with the performance of these struts we have made them the basis of our BAT European Handling Kit (see above). Front struts utilize late type (98-2000)spring pearch design but can be fitted to earlier (95-97) cars by using late type front springs. Rear struts interchange without modidfication.
BAT Euro Sport Front Strut* (98 >) K401G $99.00 ea.
BAT Euro Sport Rear Strut* (all years) K402G $99.00 ea."
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Sport suspension on SVT - 05/07/06 09:06 PM
Yeah, BAT or Spax struts should work fine for you.

I like 225/45s, but like I said, on my car they do rub (it's sort of car/wheel dependent). The rubbing isn't a big deal to me, eventually they'll rub through the fender liner. They did rub the fender itself and I had to take a hammer to it. You can easily see if the tires are getting cut on the outside edge to know if that's happening.
Posted By: npurdin Re: Sport suspension on SVT - 05/07/06 11:18 PM
cool, thanks for the info.
Assuming I get this car (we'll know by the end of the week) the struts will be on the back burner to the tranny, but I thinks its livable. (this looks like it could be a project car for me too.. not what i wanted)

1) rebuild tranny (not totally necesary, but synchros are going.
2) replace stock struts (hope that fixes the ride issues)
3) electrical goblins (3 cheers for ford!)
4) body work - side skirts (not there) and front air dam (possibly repairable)

So, im looking at quite a bill after I pay for the car... but its an SVT, and the owner is trying to unload it as soon as possible, so here's hoping he'll take my offer with all the repairs taken into consideration.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Sport suspension on SVT - 05/08/06 12:53 AM
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:

**second guessing**

Sport and SVT do have different wheel sizes... the SVT wheels are 16 inches... in 1998 they were called the E0 wheels, and the tires they came with were a 205/55R16. in 1998.5 through 00' contour SVT's they came with 16 inch E1 Cobra style SVT wheels. The stock tires on those were P205/50R16. The Sport contours had 15 inch wheels. The only non-svt contique to come from the factory with 16 in wheels were the Mercury Mystique 98-00 LS model. 17 inch wheels SHOULD NOT bottom out on that suspension setup, I think everybody is right, the struts are blown.... And I think that putting SE sport struts on an SVT is proposterious, it wrecks the point of having an SVT, they cars were designed for the twisties. If I were you, since you already have Eibach sport springs, is I would invest in a set of Bat struts.. They arent THAT expensive ($99/each) and you will love the ride that setup will give you...

"Euro Sport Struts
Made in Germany, and specially valved to our specifications, these strutsoffer substantially uprated bump and rebound specification. The shock valving is especially well suited for use with sport (stiffer) springs and will also do wonders in place of the SVT's O.E. struts. If you are looking for a high quality (yet affordable) gas strut to make your Contour handle up to its full potential these are the ones to have. We are so impressed with the performance of these struts we have made them the basis of our BAT European Handling Kit (see above). Front struts utilize late type (98-2000)spring pearch design but can be fitted to earlier (95-97) cars by using late type front springs. Rear struts interchange without modidfication.
BAT Euro Sport Front Strut* (98 >) K401G $99.00 ea.
BAT Euro Sport Rear Strut* (all years) K402G $99.00 ea."

98 SVT, both the E0 and the E1, came with 205/55ZR16 tires. The E0 with Goodyear Eagle GSC and the E1 with Goodyear Eagle F1.

99 and newer SVT came with 215/50ZR16 BFG KDW.

Also I'm pretty sure that no Mystique ever come with 16" wheels.
© CEG Archives