Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: JEDsContour Thinkmoto's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/19/06 08:19 AM
Remember the 1/4" inch camber plates Thinkmoto use to make? Is there any way to still get those? Anyone besides me still want a set?

Hey Thinkmoto, what would it take to convince you to go through all that again?

I have the camber plate kit, but 3/16" just looks too flimsy to me.

If anyone has an unused set of Thinkmoto�s upgraded plates they don�t need...
I was wondering about that myself...
Me 3
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Thinkmoto's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/19/06 07:21 PM
If I were to do it again, I'd only do it in stainless. Mine have some surface rust, and I only drove it probably 5000 miles with them on, and it's in the garage all winter.

Mark
Posted By: SQLSVT Re: Thinkmoto's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/19/06 07:24 PM
I have contacted ThinkMoto recently about the upgraded plates and he said he is willing to make some. I would just have to let him know, and he still charges $40.
Originally posted by SQLSVT:
I have contacted ThinkMoto recently about the upgraded plates and he said he is willing to make some. I would just have to let him know, and he still charges $40.

I'm in for two sets! How much shipping and where should I send my money?

Is this a potential group-buy? (NOT looking for a price reduction)

IMHO, the peace of mind afforded by these robust plates is well worth the price.
Posted By: SQLSVT Re: Thinkmoto's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/20/06 02:03 AM
Originally posted by JEDsContour:

IMHO, the peace of mind afforded by these robust plates is well worth the price.

When I said I contacted Thinkmoto recently I mean a a few days ago (before you started this thread) I sent him a PM asking him if he would still be willing to make me some of the upgraded plates. He said that he could but I would have to let him know (aka-PM him again).

It sounds like you want some of the upgraded plates, and I told Thinkmoto that I was just going to wait and see how my current plates hold up. I will PM Thinkmoto and bring this thread to his attention, and maybe he will be interested in starting another GB of his plates.

For $40, I'll definitely jump in.

When I said I contacted Thinkmoto recently I mean a a few days ago (before you started this thread) I sent him a PM asking him if he would still be willing to make me some of the upgraded plates. He said that he could but I would have to let him know (aka-PM him again).

It sounds like you want some of the upgraded plates, and I told Thinkmoto that I was just going to wait and see how my current plates hold up. I will PM Thinkmoto and bring this thread to his attention, and maybe he will be interested in starting another GB of his plates.

Thank you for that. I think thinkmoto's solution to the plate movement/flexing problem is the best (and only) available now.
Although like you, if I had already installed the unreinforced camber kits, I would wait to see if I had a problem. Many people have reported no problems whatsoever.
Posted By: 98SVTC Re: Thinkmoto's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/20/06 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
I was wondering about that myself...

Me too, especially since we aren't getting camber kits with that D2 group buy suspension (if it ever shows up). I only hope that SPC or whatever kit will work with the D2 stuff. Either that or the BAT camber kit. Decisions decisions....
Karl
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Thinkmoto's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/20/06 10:20 AM
All you guys have to do is ask if you want them. If a bunch of you want them I can do that too. It's just a matter of me finding the time and getting some material thats all. All those that want some start a list. I'll dig up some round stock and see if I can get started on them right away. Payment is still $40 shipped.
Let me knwo who all wants them and i'll get rolling on it.

Posted By: WillBob Re: Thinkmoto's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/20/06 01:02 PM
Mark me down for a set. I'll PM for payment info.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Thinkmoto's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/20/06 06:37 PM
90% in
In for two sets (4 plates).
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: Thinkmoto's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/20/06 09:41 PM
How long until they are made, my car is currently apart, but I need to have it back on the road by the end of March. Will the plates be done by then?

Aaron
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Thinkmoto's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/20/06 10:26 PM
So this is the current list?

Jedscontour 2 sets
Jeb Hoge
ohsigmachi
SQLSVT
88SVT
WillBob
Rawburt (90% in)
NVS SVT

So 9 sets so far. I guess I should probably start on them asap. I found a few feet of round stock at work I can use. I suspose I can start working on them tomorrow. I'll make all 9 sets right away and ship them once I get payment via paypal. I ship usps priority mail so they come quick. I'll start on them tomorrow then anyone who wants them please ad your name to the list. I really don't want any payments til they are done. Stuff happens and things come up I haven't had any problems in the past making them but I don't want to leave anyone hanging OK? I'll keep you all updated Thanks Tony
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: Thinkmoto's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/20/06 11:02 PM
PM Sent .

Aaron
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Pole120's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/21/06 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:
Payment is still $40 shipped.

What's my cut of that?
Posted By: bensenvill Re: Pole120's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/21/06 09:46 PM
does anyone have a pic of them installed?
Posted By: Thinkmoto problems - 03/21/06 10:31 PM
Guys
I got a few problems with making these plates. I don't have the time to do this. After starting on them today I can already see its going to take forever for me to get them done. I only can work on them for about 45 mins a day after work. Which is mostly wasted with setting up and cleaning up. Also the lathe I prefer to use is fubar and needs an overhaul. There are other lathes I can use but its usually occupied by the die makers so who knows when i'll be able to get on it. It would end up taking me in excess of 3- 4weeks probably to get these done. And thats just to long and drawn out for me. Its just not feasible for me to make these at this time. I'm sorry guys but I'm just too busy with family, work and my house. A year ago I would have been able to do this no problems but right now I can't see myself getting these done anytime soon or in the near future. Once again guys I'm really sorry. I should have thought this over a little more before I commited to you guys. Sorry Tony
Posted By: SQLSVT Re: problems - 03/21/06 11:52 PM
No problem Tony I understand. I wanted to see how my current plates were going to hold up anyways. But if I decide that I want some of your upgraded plates I will PM you in the future.
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: problems - 03/22/06 01:58 AM
. Not a problem I understand.

Aaron
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: problems - 03/22/06 10:16 AM
In the future if time permits I'll try to knock out a few sets. I really should have done that when i used to have time to spare. once again i'm sorry guys and i hope those that haven't experienced the warped plates DON'T
Posted By: Pole120 Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/22/06 02:00 PM
I have a manufacturer in mind....i'll get a quote out early next week for you guys.

Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/22/06 10:31 PM
Thanks as much as I would like to make more of these I have zilch for time.
Posted By: m!key Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/25/06 04:14 PM
you dont have an extra set laying around in the corner or something?
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/27/06 10:19 AM
Originally posted by m!key:

Fark no
Posted By: SkyRyder Re: Thinkmoto's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/28/06 02:06 AM
Add my name to the list for upgraded plates too

I know they won't be made soon by Motto but doesn't hurt to be on the waiting list when someone else decides to make them.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/28/06 02:26 AM
Originally posted by m!key:

I have one set......
Posted By: SVTforme_dup1 Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/30/06 11:05 PM
I think I may be willing to take this on. This will depend on how many people there are and pricing. I'll have to see how much this will cost from my side. I am thinking that I can make a fairly large batch and sell them off as they come.

Couple of questions:
- Would people be interested in powdercoated ones, as I do have my own powdercoating setup.
- How do the current modified designs work - would you change anything?

It will likely take a month before they are ready though. At that time I there would be many sets ready.
Posted By: SVTforme_dup1 Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/31/06 01:09 AM
Here's mine powdercoated (unfortunately not installed):

Posted By: JEDsContour Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/31/06 08:26 AM
I'm good for two sets powder-coated! Do you want to start your own group buy? What level of demand will make this worth doing?
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/31/06 12:48 PM
Originally posted by SVTforme:

The OD on Thinkmoto's version of my plates seemed a bit large, match the OD of your plates to the OD of the plates that come with the kit and you should be set.

Posted By: SVTforme_dup1 Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/31/06 04:43 PM
Thanks for the input - I have my set designed based off the original plate dimensions.

If I can get 10 orders (which it looks like we have) - that would be enough to get me started. I will post a group buy this weekend once I get my color palette for powdercoating posted online. These will be marketed as a PRT design (pole120), with an honorable mention going out to Thinkmoto .

Tentative pricing is set at (includes shipping):

For the US:

Bare Machined: $40
Powdercoated Black: $50
Powdercoated Color of Choice (Dozens of colors to choose from): $55

For the Canucks:

Bare Machined: $50
Powdercoated Black: $60
Powdercoated Color of Choice (Dozens of colors to choose from): $65

I will also knock off $5 for orders of 2 or more.

At this time, I am pretty sure that I will be going ahead with this. If so, it will be up and running by Sunday at the latest and I will place the order for the plates at the time.

Lead time on these will be 3-4 weeks until I have them all in my hand and ready to ship. I will ship immediately upon receiving.

Here's the CAD design:
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/31/06 06:14 PM
I <3 Solidwork.

Thanks for taking this on, i just don't ahve the time, trying to get my car done for SZ so that leaves little spare time.

On a side note, what version of SW are you using?
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 03/31/06 10:25 PM
Originally posted by pole120:

The OD on Thinkmoto's version of my plates seemed a bit large, match the OD of your plates to the OD of the plates that come with the kit and you should be set.

I made the OD the same as the stock camber kit plates. No difference. I even measured the depth of the groove in the rubber piece so I knew how far in to cut the offset. trust me no difference
Posted By: SVTforme_dup1 Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 04/05/06 01:18 PM
Here is a shot of my plates installed. I wanted to make sure they fit before I went ahead with any sort of group buy. They fit great with the Koni sport kit, although the thread engagement is not exactly perfect. Since the nuts are quite tall, they will work fine for this application. Note those are the rubber pieces from the base vehicle and not from the camber kit.

Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 04/05/06 03:36 PM
I just stumbled accross this post and I desperately need to get a set. My tires are wearing way too fast after the Koni install. I wish I would have known about these kits before hand Is this setup in the GB yet? I want in!
Posted By: PEWTNERST24 Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 04/05/06 04:10 PM
Here is a shot of my plates installed. I wanted to make sure they fit before I went ahead with any sort of group buy. They fit great with the Koni sport kit, although the thread engagement is not exactly perfect. Since the nuts are quite tall, they will work fine for this application. Note those are the rubber pieces from the base vehicle and not from the camber kit.

Where can i get some of those rubbers coz the ones that come with the kit dont fit nearly as good as yours
Posted By: SVTforme_dup1 Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 04/05/06 04:49 PM
They are the ones that came on my car from the factory.
Posted By: PEWTNERST24 Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 04/05/06 05:17 PM
Thanx i'll have to try and find my old top plates and steal the rubbers off them.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 04/05/06 05:18 PM
They are the ones that came on my car from the factory.

YES! Use the factory rubber, it can be removed from the stock top plate by simply pulling it off.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 04/05/06 05:38 PM

hey, is that the factory nut on that strut? or did it come with the camber set? or with the strut set? mine's stripped and i need to know where to search for a replacement.
Posted By: SVTforme_dup1 Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 04/06/06 01:49 PM
Let the games begin - group buy has started:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=groupbuy&Number=1209212&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

If you were on the list above in this post, please repost or PM me to confirm. I have all the available powdercaoted colors listed online now as well.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Pole's upgraded camber kit plates - 04/06/06 02:19 PM
Sweet I am in! Ill PP the money later today hopefully!
Posted By: 98SVTC Re: Thinkmoto's upgraded camber kit plates - 04/11/06 12:42 AM
So this is the current list?

Jedscontour 2 sets
Jeb Hoge
ohsigmachi
SQLSVT
88SVT
WillBob
Rawburt (90% in)
NVS SVT
=====================================================
Well, as soon as I find out if they'll fit the D2 struts, I'll be in. I mentioned my concern in the group buy thread already.
Karl
As of today..

Paid:
incubusjunkie614 - Black
JEDsContour - Black x2
sonza68
Rikenbomb (NECO)

Interested (Based on PM's and past posts):
Jeb Hoge
ohsigmachi
SQLSVT
88SVT
WillBob
Rawburt (90% in)
NVS SVT
XKontour98
GI8U2racing
KingpinSVT
mysticalillusion
SkyRyder
mapoftazifoshoââ??¢

Keep the orders coming!!

Excuse my utter total ignorance, but do these work as camber plates on their own, or they upgrades for existing camber plates?

I just bought an SVTC two days ago and I'm looking to refresh/mildly upgrade the suspension and came across this thread while researching camber plates.

Thanks

Adrian Thompson
00 SVT
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Thinkmoto's upgraded camber kit plates - 04/13/06 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Adrian Thompson:
do these work as camber plates on their own, or they upgrades for existing camber plates?

Upgrades
Posted By: JTC1949 Re: Thinkmoto's upgraded camber kit plates - 04/13/06 11:42 PM
Ok, I have some dumb questions about these camber kits and the upgraded kits.
I have an 98 SE V6 MTX75 and I am thinking of putting GC Coilovers in and at the same time these camber kit.
1)I hear about the camber plates "spinning". How serious is this? Is it a big problem?

2) I was hoping to get the GC Coilovers and the Camber kit installed while I am travelling at the end of the month. Can I put these upgraded plates in from the top or do I have pull the strut to do it?
It looks like they could be installed from the top after I have had the Coilovers and stock Camber plates installed. I am thinking of ordering upgraded plates and the time frame would nto matter if I can do this.

3)Don't mean to steal this thread but what spring rate is recommended for the GC Coilovers for autocrossing? I have the Single adjustable Konis.
Thanks in advance for your patience with the dumb questions!

Cheers
JTC1949
Calgary, Alberta
Forgot about this post.. for those who do not frequent the group buy forum, the plates are in as of last week and are ready to ship immediately bare or in black. If anyone is intereseted, shoot me a PM. Here's an update on the list.

Paid:
incubusjunkie614 - Black (Shipped)
JEDsContour - Black x2 (Shipped)
SkyRyder - Bare (Shipped)
Rikenbomb (NECO) - Black (Shipped)
sonza68 - Black (Shipped)
GI8U2racing - Black (Shipped)
88SVT - Black (Shipped)
contoursvt11 - Black (Shipped)
Checker'd SVT - Bare (Shipped)

Interested (Based on PM's and past posts):
Jeb Hoge