Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I have blown another Koni strut and and dont understand why. This happened once already after hitting a large pothole. I replaced the blown strut a week or two ago, and I have found the same problem with the same strut. The adjustment knob wont turn, and the strut is covered in oil. I haven't hit any potholes or caused any damage to the car. What the hell is going on?? Why has the same strut blown twice?

I am so pissed! I am moving to FL soon, and I wont have any place to work on my car when problems like this occur. I don't think it is an installation issue, because I installed it just like the others, and have had no problem with them.
The only thing I can think of is that the bump stops are cut too short, and allowing the strut to bottom out and damage itself. Both front bump stops are cut to the same size, but only one strut is causing me problems. This problem makes no sense whatsoever.
Somebody help me out here. I am going crazy trying to figure why my strut blew in a week in a half.
Sorry I can't help, but I'm interested in why that is going on as well so I'll do what I can.

Bump
I just hope Koni can get me a new one before next sunday. I am driving my SVT to Tampa, FL next week.
do you have the KONI 1130 Sport Kit? i was planing on buying it this week and your problem troubles me; not sure what to do.

hope everything goes well and safe trip to FL

-a
I can only imagine the same thing. either you cut the bump stop too short (or didn't even use one) or the car is way to low.

Somehow you must be allowing the strut to bottom out and get damaged.

Your problem is unique. I've never heard of anyone blowing a strut as quick as you, and a KONI to boot!

Please explain, in detail, your setup.
I followed the how to and cut the bump stops in half. The problem has happened twice in a row on the front drivers side strut. The struts were installed properly and also have the camber kit with thicker camber plates. Both the drivers and passenger side front struts were installed the same way. Both bump stops were cut exactly the same, and both were on full hard. The driver's side is the only one giving me problems. The strut is covered in oil, the adustment tab wont turn, and it feels like it is riding on just the spring.
What springs you using? If there coil overs your too low maybe? Other than that trying going 3/4 bump stop.

JD
Originally posted by jd28:
What springs you using? If there coil overs your too low maybe? Other than that trying going 3/4 bump stop.

JD

His signature lists the Koni kit.
oops.
Originally posted by RandyCSVT:
I followed the how to and cut the bump stops in half. The problem has happened twice in a row on the front drivers side strut. The struts were installed properly and also have the camber kit with thicker camber plates. Both the drivers and passenger side front struts were installed the same way. Both bump stops were cut exactly the same, and both were on full hard. The driver's side is the only one giving me problems. The strut is covered in oil, the adustment tab wont turn, and it feels like it is riding on just the spring.

Weird.... There's something I'm not seeing then.
I called Koni and they said the struts should only be torqued to 37ftlbs. I might have overtourqued that particular strut. I will instal this new one and make sure to use a torque wrench set at 37ftlbs.
I called Koni and they said the struts should only be torqued to 37ftlbs. I might have overtourqued that particular strut. I will instal this new one and make sure to use a torque wrench set at 37ftlbs.

hopefully that works out
I put the new strut in last friday. I drove the car the FL on Sunday. I was in Savannah, Georgia 1100 miles away from Providence and the strut popped. I was backing out of the waffle house where my friends and I stopped for breakfast and I heard a loud pop sound while backing out and turning the wheels to the right. I figured it was the strut so I popped the hood to check them both out. The adjustment tab on the drivers side strut would not budge, and there was a little bit of oil on the strut. I suspect that the threaded part of the strut has once again snapped. Koni says they snap if you overtorque them, but I followed their guidelines exactly. A Koni rep told me to tighten the nuts down to 37 ftlbs. Both fo the front nuts were at 37 ftlbs and it still broke. What the hell is happening and why is it only happening to the drivers side front strut?????

Could it be the camber kit or the upgraded camber kit plates? both front sides are installed the same exact way. The only difference I saw was that the drivers side strut does not stick out into the engine bay as much as the passenger side, but I have seen that in more than one contour.

I was backing out of the waffle house ... and I heard a loud pop sound while backing out and turning the wheels to the right.

Hmm... Possible strut mount bearing seized up?... Wonder if it was like my Contour, had one pre-98 and one 98+ strut mount in my car. Replaced them both with fresh 98+ units when I installed the Konis & the car was fine. Wait, the front mounts came with the camber kit you installed. Leads me back to the bearing or possibly mis-aligned camber kit strut mount is moving around. Something like that is torquing the bejeebus out of your struts.
The only difference I saw was that the drivers side strut does not stick out into the engine bay as much as the passenger side, but I have seen that in more than one contour.

I have had the Koni Kit installed for 3 weeks or so now and mine are the exact same height out of the engine bay. I dont know if that has something to do with it, it might? Although I never used the camber kit (installer couldnt figure it out ). I did get it aligned and everything was in spec so maybe I got lucky or its really not necessary with the Koni Kit.
Are you saying that the donut shaped plastic bearing could be bad and causing me all this trouble? If I replaced the bearing would my issues be gone. I was thinking of not using the camber plate just in case. The only problem I would see is that the strut might move if I jack up the car or go airborne.
© CEG Archives