Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: lizard suspension kits - 06/14/05 01:56 AM
i need new suspension for my tour and im wondering what the cheapest would be and how much stock springs and struts would be from a dealer ship. i am thinking about getting BAT suspension kits but i'd like something cheaper.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: suspension kits - 06/14/05 04:03 AM
Originally posted by lizard:
i need new suspension for my tour and im wondering what the cheapest would be and how much stock springs and struts would be from a dealer ship. i am thinking about getting BAT suspension kits but i'd like something cheaper.

BAT kit is the best bang for the buck!
Posted By: Pole120 Re: suspension kits - 06/14/05 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

i say go koni kit.....
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: suspension kits - 06/14/05 04:22 AM
Originally posted by pole120:
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

i say go koni kit.....

he wants to go cheap..BAT is cheap but at the same time good quality IMO
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: suspension kits - 06/14/05 05:32 AM
I think the koni kit is cheaper.

The bat kit costs $595 plus the cost of shipping a heavy box

The Koni kit costs $630

Let's say shipping is $20 for the bat kit. We are talking about a $15 difference for adjustable struts with a lifetime warranty.
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: suspension kits - 06/14/05 07:08 AM
I got B&G springs from the Group Buy and had Daryl go ahead and send me KYB gas struts. Total shipped was $468.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: suspension kits - 06/14/05 01:52 PM
Originally posted by RandyCSVT:

The Koni kit costs $630

Let's say shipping is $20 for the bat kit. We are talking about a $15 difference for adjustable struts with a lifetime warranty.

my point exactly
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: suspension kits - 06/14/05 04:36 PM
Originally posted by GLChick'95:
I got B&G springs from the Group Buy and had Daryl go ahead and send me KYB gas struts. Total shipped was $468.

I have a feeling you'll be calling Daryl(Who is Daryl?) back soon, asking for some new struts!

Mark
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: suspension kits - 06/14/05 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Originally posted by GLChick'95:

I have a feeling you'll be calling Daryl(Who is Daryl?) back soon, asking for some new struts!

Mark

i was just about to say something about that, but you beat me!
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: suspension kits - 06/14/05 05:06 PM
i am thinking about getting BAT suspension kits but i'd like something cheaper.

Replace the foundation.

Get new, stock struts, and replace your front lower control arms (which will include new bushings and lower ball joints).

Get poly bushings for your swaybars.

If you want to spend a bit more, get SVT struts and springs.

Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: suspension kits - 06/14/05 05:49 PM
If you need an installer I know someone in GR that would do it for cheap.
Posted By: getsum111 Re: suspension kits - 06/14/05 06:28 PM
Go with the BAT kit. It may be a bit more than stock struts/springs, but the BAT kit is definately worth it. Plus, all the components are designed to work together, no worries about strut failure in 3 months, unlike some other types.
Posted By: lizard Re: suspension kits - 06/15/05 02:08 AM
hey todras
who will install it for cheap and where
i was just going to talk to terry haines about it
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: suspension kits - 06/15/05 03:09 AM
hey todras
who will install it for cheap and where
i was just going to talk to terry haines about it

i think he was referring himself
Posted By: csvt99 Re: suspension kits - 06/15/05 04:04 AM
Koni kit is a great kit for the money, but you have to remember the cost of camber plates and extra labor/hassle/$$$ that may bring along. Also, its a bit lower, which can be a problem depending on where you live or your needs/uses
Posted By: csvtjohnga Re: suspension kits - 06/15/05 05:39 AM
what are the necessities to have when buyin a koni sport kit? camber kit? cheapest place to buy them?
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: suspension kits - 06/15/05 05:46 AM
camber kits are available on ebay for much cheaper than sold by SP or CTA
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: suspension kits - 06/15/05 06:00 AM
I got a camber kit on ebay for $60 for both struts, but you could probably get a set for a little over $100
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: suspension kits - 06/15/05 04:44 PM
Would the neg. camber from the Koni kit be excessive for auto-x? I'd like adjustability, so I'd probably go with the kit (upgraded), but If I didn't, how much camber are we talking. 1 deg?
Posted By: Pole120 Re: suspension kits - 06/15/05 05:10 PM
i got a set of camber kits out of my car with the upgraded plates(first ones ever)....if you're interested shoot me a price via pm.

Pole
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: suspension kits - 06/15/05 06:52 PM
Originally posted by SVT Driver627:

i think he was referring himself

Yep. Terry will do it too.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: suspension kits - 06/15/05 07:25 PM
Anyone have specs for these kits? Rebound rates, spring rates, etc? And the Koni is adjustable, correct? I really want the best handling for my money, so I can sacrifice a little ride. Also, is one easier than the other to put on a '95? I don't need anything besides the kit and (optional, but good) camber plates, correct?
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: suspension kits - 06/15/05 09:47 PM
Originally posted by 95Sleeper:
Anyone have specs for these kits? Rebound rates, spring rates, etc? And the Koni is adjustable, correct? I really want the best handling for my money, so I can sacrifice a little ride. Also, is one easier than the other to put on a '95? I don't need anything besides the kit and (optional, but good) camber plates, correct?

See my earlier post, re: upgrading the foundation.

On a 95, your rubber pieces are certainly shot. No use spending $700 on a "kit" when the basics are still not up to par.

There are many threads on this topic.
Posted By: lizard Re: suspension kits - 06/15/05 09:59 PM
so how much should i plan on spending for labor on springs, struts and 2 front lower control arms
Posted By: csvt99 Re: suspension kits - 06/15/05 10:08 PM
Quote:

Would the neg. camber from the Koni kit be excessive for auto-x?

NO. I am by no means at all an auto-x expert, but in general negative camber increases the handling capabilities of the car. As long as you add the camber plates, you should be fine. If you want to auto-x, I'd say the koni kit is definately your best bet for the money. Not only will it most likely handle well, you can firm up the struts for the races
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: suspension kits - 06/15/05 10:50 PM
RogerB- I'm about to do rear swaybar and bushings/end links, and my control arms are brand new, so everything will be race-ready. Let me rephrase my question: "Is the kit a bolt-on out of the box, or do I need parts to make it fit?"

csvt99- That's what I'm thinking... even wild camber is usually not excessive for auto-x. I was hoping for a number, though. And BAT may be good and trusted, but Koni is a great name!
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: suspension kits - 06/15/05 10:54 PM
so how much should i plan on spending for labor on springs, struts and 2 front lower control arms

I'd guess about 4 hours for a 2000, so maybe $200. It could be more, though, like 6-8 hours. Call around and ask for quotes. IIRC, the 2000 LCAs are only 1 hr each, but they might be more.
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: suspension kits - 06/16/05 01:54 AM
most labor rates around here are anywhere from 60-x/hr. luckly the 60/hr is the cheapest and i'm friends with them. you can always give stazi a call too.
Posted By: EuroTour Re: suspension kits - 06/16/05 06:41 AM
I just installed a Koni kit on my SVT and am VERY happy with the results. I would never go back to Konis and GC's or diff. suspension setup again. It is a straight out of the box install. You could use your stock upper mounts or add the camber kit later by loosening the top nut and leaving the bottom of the strut attached its up to you. If you need a hand with the install shoot me a PM. I feel as I have now "mastered" the Contour suspension setup
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: suspension kits - 06/16/05 04:52 PM
Originally posted by 95Sleeper:
RogerB- I'm about to do rear swaybar and bushings/end links, and my control arms are brand new, so everything will be race-ready. Let me rephrase my question: "Is the kit a bolt-on out of the box, or do I need parts to make it fit?"

Yeah, I remember, now, I think. Didn't pay attention to your username.

Anyway, what he said.

I'd get the camber plates, though, if you plan to autocross. You'll appreciate the adjustability, not just for setting camber/caster, but for evening things out, left to right. Makes a difference in how precise you can be when the car can be precisely adjusted.

Still, not an absolute necessity, but neither are Koni's.

Posted By: wanabsvt Re: suspension kits - 06/17/05 06:45 PM
I've been wondering about the b+g coils.Which set did you get?Have you installed them?How much drop did you get? & how's the ride quality? I've got the complete BAT kit(no camber kits 1.2 deg. neg.camber & no tire wear)& the car rides well & handles even better but I want to go lower & 1.6 inch drop from b+g sounds interesting.
Posted By: SVTfinally Re: suspension kits - 06/17/05 08:25 PM
Any chance of you unloading the BAT kit that you have? If so, what's on the package with regard to mileage?
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: suspension kits - 06/17/05 08:29 PM
Originally posted by SVTfinally:
Any chance of you unloading the BAT kit that you have? If so, what's on the package with regard to mileage?

Yeah, I'd be very interested as well...
Posted By: wanabsvt Re: suspension kits - 06/17/05 09:32 PM
I'm not sure yet.If the b+g coils work with BAT struts I would try to sell the BAT coils,assuming the ride & handling quality is as good or better than the BAT kit.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: suspension kits - 06/18/05 02:43 PM
I'd take just springs, for the right price. PM me if you decide anything!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: suspension kits - 06/20/05 01:12 PM
Originally posted by RandyCSVT:

The Koni kit costs $630

Yeah, but the bat kit includes the matched springs for that price. Somehow I don't think the Koni's come with springs, let alone matched springs.......

Though I could be wrong. Educate me please.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: suspension kits - 06/20/05 02:12 PM
Originally posted by warmonger:

Yeah, but the bat kit includes the matched springs for that price. Somehow I don't think the Koni's come with springs, let alone matched springs.......

Though I could be wrong. Educate me please.

The Koni kit has matched Koni springs. Warmonger=out of the loop.
Posted By: Bluespeed Re: suspension kits - 07/09/05 06:53 PM
Randy,

Where can the Koni Kit be obtained? Info? How much does it lower the car versis the BAT kit (1")?

Thanks

Bluespeed
© CEG Archives